Maps on CD

Status
Not open for further replies.
"marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1ful9yo.1xcd1yd1ud4z3rN%[email protected]...
> albert fish <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > > It's a big country ...
> >
> > it is indeed.
> >
> > > > You pays your money...
> > >
> > > ...and according to the OS you have pay again and again and again without making a choice
> >
> > an outrageous monopoly, no doubt about it.
>
> I have no problem with it being a monopoly. My only complaint is that the taxpayer paid to create
> the maps and then is charged again and again for using what they have already paid for.

agreed.

thwart the nasty pigopolists !

learn to use the interweb:

http://tinyurl.com/b6q8

good shot or what ?

Albert

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1ful9yo.1xcd1yd1ud4z3rN%[email protected]...
> > albert fish <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > But still breaches the copyright.
>
> Q. why do multimap provide a printer friendly version of their website ?
>
> A. because they want you to print maps out and use them. http://tinyurl.com/b6pm
>
>
> Lamination or the creation of photomontage maps breacheth copyright not.

From multimap: The reproduction, copying, downloading, storage, recording, broadcasting,
retransmission and distribution of any part of the Multimap.com website is not permitted without
prior written consent of Multimap.com. The user does not receive any, and Multimap.com retains all,
ownership rights in the information. The information is copyrighted and may not be copied, even if
modified or merged with other data or software. The user shall not alter or remove any copyright
notice or proprietary legend contained in or on the information.

Which seems to suggest you can't even look at a page never mind print
it.

Colin

albert fish <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> > But still breaches the copyright.
>
> Q. why do multimap provide a printer friendly version of their website ?
>
> A. because they want you to print maps out and use them. http://tinyurl.com/b6pm
>
>
> Lamination or the creation of photomontage maps breacheth copyright not.

Of course it does. They allow you to print A4 images without you altering them. By adding the images
together they are altered and then copied, or copied and then altered. This contravenes Multimaps
Terms and Conditions

"Terms and Conditions

The reproduction, copying, downloading, storage, recording, broadcasting, retransmission and
distribution of any part of the Multimap.com website is not permitted without prior written consent
of Multimap.com. ...

The information is copyrighted and may not be copied, even if modified or merged with other data or
software."

Please feel free to tell me how you manage to meld the maps together without " copying, downloading,
storage, recording," and how you manage to create anythign apart from Multimaps printable screen
without infringing "may not be copied, even if modified or merged with other data".

-- Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

"marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1ful9yo.1xcd1yd1ud4z3rN%[email protected]...
>
> > > It's a big country ...
> >
> > it is indeed.
> >
> > > > You pays your money...
> > >
> > > ...and according to the OS you have pay again and again and again without making a choice
> >
> > an outrageous monopoly, no doubt about it.
>
> I have no problem with it being a monopoly. My only complaint is that the taxpayer paid to create
> the maps and then is charged again and again for using what they have already paid for.
>
> >

Wasn't the Ordnance Survey privatised yonks ago?

Pauline <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > it is indeed.
> > >
> > > > > You pays your money...
> > > >
> > > > ...and according to the OS you have pay again and again and again without making a choice
> > >
> > > an outrageous monopoly, no doubt about it.
> >
> > I have no problem with it being a monopoly. My only complaint is that the taxpayer paid to
> > create the maps and then is charged again and again for using what they have already paid for.
> >
> > >
>
> Wasn't the Ordnance Survey privatised yonks ago?

No, it's a wholey owned goverment agency charged with making a profit, but before that it was part
of the MOD.

--
Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:MPG.192305874eecc2e69899d7@localhost...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:1ful9yo.1xcd1yd1ud4z3rN%[email protected]...
> > > albert fish <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > But still breaches the copyright.
> >
> > Q. why do multimap provide a printer friendly version of their website ?
> >
> > A. because they want you to print maps out and use them. http://tinyurl.com/b6pm
> >
> >
> > Lamination or the creation of photomontage maps breacheth copyright not.
>
> From multimap: The reproduction, copying, downloading, storage, recording, broadcasting,
> retransmission and distribution of any part of the Multimap.com website is not permitted without
> prior written consent of Multimap.com. The user does not receive any, and Multimap.com retains
> all, ownership rights in the information. The information is copyrighted and may not be copied,
> even if modified or merged with other data or software. The user shall not alter or remove any
> copyright notice or proprietary legend contained in or on the information.
>
> Which seems to suggest you can't even look at a page never mind print
> it.
>
> Colin

Indeed, it seems to suggest that unless you write to multimap for permission to type their url into
your browser you will be breaking their terms and conditions.

I treat it with the comical ali type disdain and amusement it deserves and whatever whoever's terms
and conditions / pov, it's the cheapest and easiest way to get multiple resolution, multi area maps
for personal use.

Albert

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

> Indeed, it seems to suggest that unless you write to multimap for permission to type their url
> into your browser you will be breaking their terms and conditions.

Though streetmap.co.uk's conditions are a bit more explicit: A single print of the results of a map
search is permitted for your own personal use. Otherwise the reproduction, copying, downloading,
storage, recording, broadcasting, retransmission and distribution of any part of the Streetmap site
is not permitted.
>
> I treat it with the comical ali type disdain and amusement it deserves and whatever whoever's
> terms and conditions / pov, it's the cheapest and easiest way to get multiple resolution, multi
> area maps for personal use.

That's alright, I'm sure ntl would never let multimap have you details.

Colin

On Wed, 7 May 2003, marc wrote:

> ...and according to the OS you have pay again and again and again without making a choice

And the landscape changes so maps have to be kept up to date. One of the compaints I've seen of US
maps is that some date back to the 70's.

--
Jose Marques

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> A friend asked me at the weekend if I knew of any CD of cycling routes, where he could specify an
> area of the country and see a list of suggested routes. Alternatively, he wondered if there was
> any software that could be used for route planning.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I've just checked the Sustrans website, because it occurred to me that they might publish their
> route guide on CD, but it appears not.
>
> I don't know if the Edinburgh Bicycle CD had anything like this on it - that seems to no longer be
> available.
>
> Of course Autoroute and similar software can be great for planning bike rides, particularly if you
> specify 0mph for motorways, 5mph for A roads and 15mph for white roads (or something similar). But
> then you're missing out on towpaths and cyclepaths.
>
> --
> Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
> http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
> Thomas Paine
>
>

You might look at www.tracklogs.co.uk It started out in mountain biking but its got all the digital
map and GPS stuff along with lots of information, routes and the lowest prices.

Peter

> A friend asked me at the weekend if I knew of any CD of cycling routes, where he could specify an
> area of the country and see a list of suggested routes. Alternatively, he wondered if there was
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> I've just checked the Sustrans website, because it occurred to me that they might publish their
>
> I don't know if the Edinburgh Bicycle CD had anything like this on it - that seems to no longer be
> available.
>
> Of course Autoroute and similar software can be great for planning bike rides, particularly if you
> specify 0mph for motorways, 5mph for A roads and 15mph for white roads (or something similar). But
>
> --
> Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
> http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
> Thomas Paine
>
>

You might look at www.tracklogs.co.uk It started out in mountain biking but its got all the digital

Peter

"Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:MPG.19230a40b98ba9bc9899d9@localhost...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>
> > Indeed, it seems to suggest that unless you write to multimap for permission to type their url
> > into your browser you will be breaking their terms and conditions.
>
> Though streetmap.co.uk's conditions are a bit more explicit: A single print of the results of a
> map search is permitted for your own personal use. Otherwise the reproduction, copying,
> downloading, storage, recording, broadcasting, retransmission and distribution of any part of the
> Streetmap site is not permitted.
> >
> > I treat it with the comical ali type disdain and amusement it deserves and whatever whoever's
> > terms and conditions / pov, it's the cheapest and easiest way to get multiple resolution, multi
> > area maps for personal use.
>
> That's alright, I'm sure ntl would never let multimap have you details.
>
> Colin

I'm sure they wouldn't be allowed as it has nothing to do with NTL ( I used another ISP ...) but the
same effect could be had from any library or public net access point completely anonymously and
free, if you now where to look.

Albert

>
> Any suggestions?
>
>
> available.
>
>
> --
> Thomas Paine
>
>

Peter

Jose Marques wrote:
> On Wed, 7 May 2003, marc wrote:
>
>
>>...and according to the OS you have pay again and again and again without making a choice
>
>
> And the landscape changes so maps have to be kept up to date. One of the compaints I've seen of US
> maps is that some date back to the 70's.
>

Is that 1770's or 1870's?

Jim

Originally posted by Colin Blackburn
In article <[email protected]>, Slapster6 @btopenworld.com says...

My problem with the current release is that it can't be expanded cheaply (other than buying pre-2003
map CDs with no height data.) To expand from one region you need to buy the software again with a
second data set rather than just buying the data set. I did email Memorymap about this, especially
as they claim their latest version is better value for money, and they completely ignored my email.

Colin

Not sure about this but the following link would seem to give you the option to upgrade by adding the North for "only" £100. You get the software but no license key.

http://www.tracklogs.co.uk/cgi-bin/publ/user.cgi?obj=shop&micro=as_shop_memmap&page=mem203

Cheers,

Andy

In news:1ful9yo.1xcd1yd1ud4z3rN%[email protected], marc
<[email protected]> typed:
>
>>> It's a big country ...
>>
>> it is indeed.
>>
>>>> You pays your money...
>>>
>>> ...and according to the OS you have pay again and again and again without making a choice
>>
>> an outrageous monopoly, no doubt about it.
>
> I have no problem with it being a monopoly.

It's not a monopoly: anyone else is free to get their own stereographic aerial photographs of the UK
and draw maps from them, preferably using ground surveys as well. In fact, the AA claimed to be
doing just such a thing, until the OS proved them wrong in court, and they had to pay £25 million in
damages for copying their mapping data.

On Wed, 7 May 2003 16:03:34 +0100, Ambrose Nankivell scrawled: ) In fact, the AA claimed to be doing
just such a ) thing, until the OS proved them wrong in court, and they had to pay £25 ) million in
damages for copying their mapping data.

Was it like with the answer sheets to last year's lecture notes, where the OS included tiny
deliberate mistakes in the maps and the AA copied them verbatim?

J-P
--
It's okay to tell a girl you like the way she walks, as long as you do it politely, and she's not an
amputee who uses those clip-on arm canes.

In article <[email protected]>, usenet- [email protected] says...

>
>
> Not sure about this but the following link would seem to give you the option to upgrade by adding
> the North for "only" £100. You get the software but no license key.

Yes, I found that url today too. Still not quite the ability to add an extra region, or two, which
is what I'd like, but then you can't have everything can you?

Colin

On Wed, 7 May 2003 11:33:34 +0100, marc scrawled: ) I don't consider seven pounds per map small.
Especially as I have ) already paid for it once.

Again (from the bit that you deleted) the maps are freely available on their website. I know that,
as a student, I'm inclined to consider internet access as a human right, but it can't cost you that
much per minute of download. And the part-payment you made through taxes means that the maps are
only seven or eight pounds, rather than maybe twice that. Imagine too how expensive Anquet's
packages would cost if the OS had to put the price of all their rights up.

) Compare the OS attitude with the US's where the maps are considered ) public domain.

Consider how poor and erratic the US's maps are. Consider the lily.

J-P
--
6:40 p.m. Christ and St. Peter get into sloppy argument over who would deny whom three times

marc <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jose Marques <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> > I don't consider seven pounds per map small. Especially as I have already paid for it once.
>> > Compare the OS attitude with the US's where the maps are considered public domain.
>>
>> And if the complaints of US users on GPS newsgroups are anything to go by of rather patchy
>> quality.
>
> It's a big country ...
>
>> You pays your money...
>
> ...and according to the OS you have pay again and again and again without making a choice

Given that (presumably) OS don't make a profit, and that the money you pay goes both to them and to
the cost of printing, you are not paying again. We all pay for the mapping agency, but those of us
that directly use the maps pay more. It is silly to suggest that the maps ought to be free - that
way the 90% of the population that don't ever use (for example) a 1:50000 map don't pay as much for
the OS as those of us that
do.

Seems fair to me.

Trev

Status
Not open for further replies.