Maps or GPS??

fabs

Aug 15, 2003
Hi Fellow Cyclists,

Just come back from a 10-day tour in France and already thinking of the next one - 5 years around the world ;)

Although I love reading maps and making the route every morning during breakfast at the campsite I wondered if some of you use GPS for touring?

Any advise, recommendations?

thx

fabs

I've been trying to buy a GPS for about 5 years now. First, they were just too expensive and only gave lats and longs. Then they added maps! WOW! Now some will route plan for you. Zowie!

I still don't own a GPS because even the ones with all the bells and whistles have big downsides for cycle tourers:

I like to travel the road less travelled. The downloadable maps don't seem to have minor roads and bike paths, trails, rail trails or tow paths marked.

Instead they seem to be just for people with cars who travel on major roads and highways.

Until that problem is solved I'll be using maps for navigation.

I've never had a GPS, but i've travelled for a while with people who had a GPS. The main problem is that the display is too small, no matter how large a screen you get. It will still be too small to get an idea of the overall picture. For that you will still need the maps, so why bother with both?
When I was on my own I managed well with the just a couple of maps and compass and it's more exciting as you take time to plan it and ask the locals about the best route and all that.

saviourag said:
I've never had a GPS, but i've travelled for a while with people who had a GPS. The main problem is that the display is too small, no matter how large a screen you get. It will still be too small to get an idea of the overall picture. For that you will still need the maps, so why bother with both?
When I was on my own I managed well with the just a couple of maps and compass and it's more exciting as you take time to plan it and ask the locals about the best route and all that.
Hello all,
New to the Forums and this is my first post. I have a Garmin e-Treks. It's the least expensive GPS they make. It's a neat little gadget that shows position, speed, elevation, distance, etc. But for the big picture, I prefer a good old map and compass. No batteries required. A simple reading of the sport of orienteering, some practise, and you're good to go. Bike travel is a perfect application for orienteering by map and compass no matter the distance. It's fun.

jaycem said:
Hello all,
New to the Forums and this is my first post. I have a Garmin e-Treks. It's the least expensive GPS they make. It's a neat little gadget that shows position, speed, elevation, distance, etc. But for the big picture, I prefer a good old map and compass. No batteries required. A simple reading of the sport of orienteering, some practise, and you're good to go. Bike travel is a perfect application for orienteering by map and compass no matter the distance. It's fun.

i'm taking a leave of absense from my job (on my fourth week...may take a couple more weeks off). i spoke to garmin today. i've been wanting to buy an edge 305 but was worried that it uses a barometer (as opposed to gps) to determine altitude. garmin explained that the edge 305 calibrates every 15 minutes. all the features i want (including water proofness and robust software) are there...my only question is whether the edge 305 can be forced to calibrate before beginning a ride.

don montalvo
rego park, ny

poolmouse said:
i'm taking a leave of absense from my job (on my fourth week...may take a couple more weeks off). i spoke to garmin today. i've been wanting to buy an edge 305 but was worried that it uses a barometer (as opposed to gps) to determine altitude. garmin explained that the edge 305 calibrates every 15 minutes. all the features i want (including water proofness and robust software) are there...my only question is whether the edge 305 can be forced to calibrate before beginning a ride.

don montalvo
rego park, ny
G'day mate, NO gps from any company is very good on altitude.I won't go into why as you can look that up for yourself. I have been mountain bike touring in the bush for about 15 yrs and would not leave home without my gps. I pick a compass direction and try to follow as straight as i CAN FOR UP TO 500KLM'S. I go over, under, around or througt anything that gets in the way. I go where there are no maps so rely on my bread crum trail on my gps, to find out where I am. I climb mountains and swim rivers and have never had reason to regret buying my gps. Maps I have had blown away, wet and the ink run, ruined by folding, and just plain fading in the sun.I have used a few for toilet paper.I travel alone mostly, am self supporting, and also have an emergency beacon, (called an eprib) in case of serious accerdent, snake bite, or my diabeties go haywire. I carry all tools, spokes to re do wheels, 4 tubes, 2 tyres, 4 glueless puncher kits. I use thornproof tubes with tyre liners. this ain't much to do with gps, just to let what this boy from oz does. have replaced batteries 3 times in 15 yrs. dont let anyoue talk you out of one. when i find interesting things fron the past, i take a reading and come back in my 4x4 and collect. that has just bought me a new road bike. regards Terry [email protected]