marathon 3 days away

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by 32 degrees, Jul 27, 2005.

  1. 32 degrees

    32 degrees Guest

    I've got my marathon in 3 days ---- SAturday...

    Here is my last few days
    Monday - easy 11 miles
    Tuesday off

    What should I do today - Wed., thursday and friday??

    any advice?

    I"m experienced but just wondering what others do....

    Its a trail marathon with some big elevation changes but all at sea level
    type altitudes.
    http://www.algercounty.org/

    JK

    Tags:

  2. Dan Stumpus

    Dan Stumpus Guest

    "32 degrees" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Here is my last few days
    > Monday - easy 11 miles
    > Tuesday off
    >
    > What should I do today - Wed., thursday and friday??

    Wed: I'd do 4 miles easy (MP + 2 min/mile), with two 440 pickups (between
    5k and 10k pace) thrown in.
    Thu: 20 minutes easy with 3-4 mild 30 second pickups
    Fri: Off (don't walk too much -- a mile or two max) Keep your feet up.
    Relax.

    > Its a trail marathon with some big elevation changes but all at sea level
    > type altitudes.
    > http://www.algercounty.org/

    Looks like a fun event. If I lived in your neck of the woods, I'd be there
    for sure!

  3. rick++

    rick++ Guest

    Just do easy runs of an hour or so the three days.
    You dont want to be too inactive, or you may be climbing
    the walls. You dont want to get tired either.
    Plan to take the day off after the marathon.
    Some people takea whole week off, while some
    just run very light that week.

  4. True Grit

    True Grit Guest

    Nothing. Maybe some walks, but other than that and some stretching, I
    do nothing.

  5. Tony

    Tony Guest

    "32 degrees" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've got my marathon in 3 days ---- SAturday...
    >
    > Here is my last few days
    > Monday - easy 11 miles
    > Tuesday off
    >
    > What should I do today - Wed., thursday and friday??
    >
    > any advice?
    >
    > I"m experienced but just wondering what others do....
    >
    > Its a trail marathon with some big elevation changes but all at sea level
    > type altitudes.
    > http://www.algercounty.org/
    >
    > JK

    I've got a 30k mountain race Sunday. My last week looks like this so far:

    mon: ran 1:21, easy with a few strides
    tues: biked 1:35, easy/moderate
    wed: off, walked 0:50 mins
    thur: will run 0:40 to 0:50 mins easy, a few strides
    fri: picnic planned with family mild activity (maybe short easy bike)
    sat: basically complete rest, feet up if possible as Dan says

    -Tony

  6. Dan Stumpus

    Dan Stumpus Guest

    "rick++" <[email protected]> wrote

    > Just do easy runs of an hour or so the three days.

    I wouldn't recommend this, Rick. This is what I did dozens of times when
    doing a non-taper race (treating the race as a hard tempo run rather than a
    goal itself).

    At the time I'd average 11-13 miles/day. If I ran a couple of easy 10-12
    milers the days before a 10k, I'd run about 34:30-ish. If I did a 3 day
    mini-taper (with the day before off) I'd run about 1 minute faster. After
    awhile it sunk in that a sharp taper and days off really do work. I don't
    recommend 2 days off, though; that makes me feel sluggish. Although a
    running club buddy who went to the olympic trials in the marathon swore that
    3 days off was the best taper.

    > You dont want to be too inactive, or you may be climbing
    > the walls. You dont want to get tired either.

    I've found that running short and easy, with a few pickups at 5k to 10k pace
    greatly reduces the "climbing the wall" effect, while letting the legs
    recharge.

    > Plan to take the day off after the marathon.
    > Some people takea whole week off, while some
    > just run very light that week.

    My rule is: If sore, don't run. The legs heal faster if they're not
    stressed. Marathons cause a lot of damage if run hard. Sometimes it takes
    1 day off, sometimes 4-5. When sore, I hike in the hills / mountains
    instead to get my exercise fix.

    -- Dan

  7. Janithor

    Janithor Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    32 degrees wrote:
    > I've got my marathon in 3 days ---- SAturday...
    >
    > Here is my last few days
    > Monday - easy 11 miles
    > Tuesday off
    >
    > What should I do today - Wed., thursday and friday??
    >
    > any advice?
    >
    > I"m experienced but just wondering what others do....
    >
    > Its a trail marathon with some big elevation changes but all at sea level
    > type altitudes.
    > http://www.algercounty.org/
    >
    > JK

    Dang, that's in Munising. How many people do they expect to get?
    Should be a beautiful run.

  8. 32 degrees

    32 degrees Guest

    > Dang, that's in Munising. How many people do they expect to get? Should
    > be a beautiful run.

    Registered runners posted @ website - http://www.algercounty.org/

    and its looking like about 100-150 total marathoners --- perfect for a trail
    race.
    Combime that with race temps of 55-60 degrees in July along a National
    Lakeshore with 200 foot cliffs and you have the ingredients for a good one.

    JK

  9. Janithor

    Janithor Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    32 degrees wrote:
    >>Dang, that's in Munising. How many people do they expect to get? Should
    >>be a beautiful run.
    >>

    > Registered runners posted @ website - http://www.algercounty.org/
    >
    > and its looking like about 100-150 total marathoners --- perfect for a trail
    > race.
    > Combime that with race temps of 55-60 degrees in July along a National
    > Lakeshore with 200 foot cliffs and you have the ingredients for a good one.
    >
    > JK

    Will they have it next year? My folks live about 20 miles south, I
    haven't been home in 5 years. The trail along the Pictured Rocks is
    like Eden (in July at least.)

  10. 32 degrees

    32 degrees Guest

    Pretty sure they will have it next year Janithor......

    I've done PIctured Rocks from Munising Falls to Grand Sable Lake in a 7 hour
    run a few years back ---- it was unbelievably beautiful. EAch year I take
    my high school CC team up to Munising for CC camp too --- they love the
    section from Munising Falls visitor center to Miners Castle.

    24 hours from right now I'll be at mile 8 !! Can't wait !!

    JK

    PS. whats 20 miles SOUTH of munising besides trees???????????

  11. Janithor

    Janithor Guest

    x-no-archive: yes

    32 degrees wrote:
    > Pretty sure they will have it next year Janithor......
    >
    > I've done PIctured Rocks from Munising Falls to Grand Sable Lake in a 7 hour
    > run a few years back ---- it was unbelievably beautiful. EAch year I take
    > my high school CC team up to Munising for CC camp too --- they love the
    > section from Munising Falls visitor center to Miners Castle.
    >
    > 24 hours from right now I'll be at mile 8 !! Can't wait !!

    Good luck!

    > JK
    >
    > PS. whats 20 miles SOUTH of munising besides trees???????????

    Exactly. :)

    Meanwhile, I'm stuck in Calfornia surrounded by cars, cars, and more
    cars. Oh, don't forget the beautiful strip malls, gas stations, and
    fast food restaurants!