Marathon Clothes

Don Hettinga

Guest
I am running the Twin Cities Marathon this weekend and the temp at race time is supposed to be
around 30-35 degrees. This is my second marathon and the first time in this type of cold. I am
just wondeing how heavy, or light, to dress. I plan on wearing shorts, but it is the top I am
worried about. I don't want to overheat, but I don't want to freeze either. Any help I could get
would be great.

"Don Hettinga" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I am running the Twin Cities Marathon this weekend and the temp at race time is supposed to be
>around 30-35 degrees. This is my second marathon and the first time in this type of cold. I am
>just wondeing how heavy, or light, to dress. I plan on wearing shorts, but it is the top I am
>worried about. I don't want to overheat, but I don't want to freeze either. Any help I could get
>would be great.

This is such a personal thing (meaning it varies from person to person). You'll be running through
30s and low 40s but more importantly (to me anyway) is that it will be sunny throughout, at least
that's how it looks right now. Given what I have available to choose from, I would wear lightweight
tights, a long-sleve shirt, a vest, gloves, and a headband. If a vest isn't an option, then I'd wear
a short-sleeve shirt (or even a tank), underneath a jacket.

I suggest including a throw a way. That is include on old sweat shirt to dump on the way as you and
the day warm up.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

"Don Hettinga" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am running the Twin Cities Marathon this weekend and the temp at race
time
> is supposed to be around 30-35 degrees. This is my second marathon and the first time in this type
> of cold. I am just wondeing how heavy, or light,
> dress. I plan on wearing shorts, but it is the top I am worried about. I don't want to overheat,
> but I don't want to freeze either. Any help I could get would be great.

I ran the Spirit of St. Louis marathon this past April in 34 degree freezing rain. I wore: shorts
(my legs were never too cold, but I could have been comfortable in tights) two coolmax tee shirts
(short sleeve "undershirts") a long sleeve coolmax shirt a throw away cotton long sleeve race shirt,
which I ended up wearing through the whole race a throw away cheap raincoat, that I pitched after 3
miles racing gloves (very important) a headsweats cap

have a good race!

"Don Hettinga" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am running the Twin Cities Marathon this weekend and the temp at race
time
> is supposed to be around 30-35 degrees. This is my second marathon and the first time in this type
> of cold. I am just wondeing how heavy, or light,
> dress. I plan on wearing shorts, but it is the top I am worried about. I don't want to overheat,
> but I don't want to freeze either. Any help I could get would be great.

(1) You could bring stuff you could throw away during thew race if it heats up. With the cost of
races approaching $100, not including travel, some old clothes may not matter.

(2) You should use clothing you've done long runs before. 42km is not the time to learn places new
clothing chaff. It can get bad the 3rd or 4th hour.

(3) My thermoregulation goes awry after I hit the wall. I'll shiver at 50 degrees and stake
overheating at 75. I presume with practice you learn better control. So you might want something
warm available if it looks chilly.

"Don Hettinga" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am running the Twin Cities Marathon this weekend and the temp at race time is supposed to be
> around 30-35 degrees. This is my second marathon and the first time in this type of cold. I am
> just wondeing how heavy, or light, to dress. I plan on wearing shorts, but it is the top I am
> worried about. I don't want to overheat, but I don't want to freeze either. Any help I could get
> would be great.

Don,

I'll assume you're a guy. You may want to consider wearing a synthetic liner under your shorts to
keep the little general warm. I've run in 30's for 1 hour plus twice wearing shorts and paid for it
with the painful experience of having my penis thaw out. At least wear shorts that are wind proof.

On top I'd wear a long sleeve polypro shirt under a lighter short sleeve t-shirt. You can roll the
sleeves up if it gets too warm and even take the short sleeve shirt off. Just remember to pin the
number to your shorts so you can adjust upper body layers.

Enjoy and let us know how you did.

my $0.02 Andy

On 3 Oct 2003 08:33:55 -0700, [email protected] (AMH) wrote:

>Don,
>
>I'll assume you're a guy. You may want to consider wearing a synthetic liner under your shorts to
>keep the little general warm. I've run in 30's for 1 hour plus twice wearing shorts and paid for it
>with the painful experience of having my penis thaw out. At least wear shorts that are wind proof.

If you kept it in your pants instead of hanging out in the breeze, you wouldn't have that problem.

Hey Don: Think I'll be wearing long sleeve t-shirt (maybe my coolmax) a vest and a windbreaking
jacket that I will wind up tying around my waist by mile
3. I will wear unlined long, wind pants that I may take off about mile 9 depending on how cold/warm
and if I take them off I'll tie them around my waist. Done this before and it works fine. Good
luck. Don't overdress. Its going to be sunny and an hour into the run it will be in the high
40's. 50 degrees is t-shirt weather on a long run. Scott in Austin MN "Don Hettinga"