marathon-the best training ??

pikus

Apr 7, 2004
can you tell me which training plan should I choose when I'm preparing to the marathon 140km long,and in which heart rate zone should I stay during the race and how long???

Originally posted by pikus
can you tell me which training plan should I choose when I'm preparing to the marathon 140km long,and in which heart rate zone should I stay during the race and how long???
please help

i'm not sure i understands what you're asking? what do you mean by "which training plan should i choose"?

what sort of bike race is it? a TT, a road race, a MTB race?

ric

Originally posted by ricstern
okay, thanks, but i'm still unsure what you mean by the former question: "which training plan should i choose"?

ric

I think he simply means what training plan or structure should he follow leading up to his race ...

Originally posted by peterwright
I think he simply means what training plan or structure should he follow leading up to his race ...

i realise this, but what is the choice from? personally, i think everyone should choose my training and coaching plans, but is that too obvious an answer!

Ric

i realise this, but what is the choice from? personally, i think everyone should choose my training and coaching plans, but is that too obvious an answer!

Ric

Its a language thing...he doesnt mean (i dont think) selecting a pre written type of plan but just means a generic "plan" or "strategy"

I am sure he would love one of your plans however ...

I want to know at what elements of training should I focus on
should I do long intervals on example 10 minutes
or maybe better do more rides in a constant pace

I want to know at what elements of training should I focus on
should I do long intervals on example 10 minutes
or maybe better do more rides in a constant pace

Hi Pikus,

You're not really giving us a lot to go on... what are your strengths and weaknesses, what sort of MTB race is this (i don't know of any this long), is it massed start, is it technical, can you currently ride for 6 continuous hours, what is your fitness like?

in general, to increase your fitness you need to increase your lactate threshold, and your VO2max. You also need to be able ride for the duration of the event, and need to have the technical skills that are required for off-road riding.

Thus, you need to do some long rides every so often, some shorter endurance rides at a brisker pace on a regular basis, some long intervals (i recommend in general 1 to 4 x 15 to 30-mins, once or twice a week), plus shorter intervals of around 4-mins.

obviously, the specifics, will be dependent upon the answer to some of the above questions. and depending how specific an answer you want may or may not determine whether you need some formal coaching or not.

ric

Hi Pikus,

You're not really giving us a lot to go on... what are your strengths and weaknesses, what sort of MTB race is this (i don't know of any this long), is it massed start, is it technical, can you currently ride for 6 continuous hours, what is your fitness like?

in general, to increase your fitness you need to increase your lactate threshold, and your VO2max. You also need to be able ride for the duration of the event, and need to have the technical skills that are required for off-road riding.

Thus, you need to do some long rides every so often, some shorter endurance rides at a brisker pace on a regular basis, some long intervals (i recommend in general 1 to 4 x 15 to 30-mins, once or twice a week), plus shorter intervals of around 4-mins.

obviously, the specifics, will be dependent upon the answer to some of the above questions. and depending how specific an answer you want may or may not determine whether you need some formal coaching or not.

ric

Sounds like he could definitely use some formal coaching and should get in touch with Ric. Just looking at his question and lack of information provided with the post signals that he needs to check into getting a coach, at least to get the basics down.

this marathon in which I want to start is in May ,it'll be in forest where there is most of flat terrain ,teh distance is 140 km and probably I'll be able to ride about 25km/h so it should take me about 6 hours ,now about my fitness level :I can ride 6 hours continously ,I started my training in march,I have ridden more than 1000km ,most of this rides are training rides,my longest ride was 100km till now ,I can ride with average heart rate about 140 in this rides(my anaerobic zone is about 170 ,and aerobic is 145,max heart rate 190)and I think I'm better in long distances than in
short ,I can ride about six or more hours without a break so I choose marathons
I also want to know how to ride during the marathon ,should I have fast or slow cadence (I'm better in riding with slow cadence where I can use muscle power ,I don't like fast spinning all the time)
I think now you know more about my fitness level and I will be grateful for all guides and remarks;) :)

why you don't want to answer me???please

It's not that i (i can't speak for anyone else) don't want, i don't have time at present to write much more than i presented 3 posts above. as i'm sure you'll understand i need to deal with the people i coach first, and forums as and when i have time to.

as Ryan mentioned and i alluded to, it maybe that some coaching is the better option, in which case please feel free to contact me off list,

cheers
ric