Marathon Training Plan, in kilometers?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Cott5771, Feb 29, 2004.

  1. Cott5771

    Cott5771 Guest

    I am considering running my first marathon in August and already have a couple training plans. I
    have read a couple books, most of which show training plans in miles, with conversion factors to
    kilometers. Being an older Canadian, I actually grew up using Imperial measurements, but have since
    "converted" to the Metric system (but I still buy ground beef by the pound?!).

    Does anyone have a twenty or more week training plan that is in kilometers, or can you point me to a
    webiste with this info?

    Thanks in advance,

    Roger

    Tags:

  2. Rupert

    Rupert Guest

    Roger, Try the following http://www.realrunner.com/newzealand/membership/trainingplanspage.htm
    Cheers Rupert

    "cott5771" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:V5n0c.5[email protected]...
    > I am considering running my first marathon in August and already have a couple training plans. I
    > have read a couple books, most of which show training plans in miles, with conversion factors to
    > kilometers. Being an older Canadian, I actually grew up using Imperial measurements, but have
    > since "converted" to the Metric system (but I still buy ground beef by the pound?!).
    >
    > Does anyone have a twenty or more week training plan that is in
    kilometers,
    > or can you point me to a webiste with this info?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Roger

  3. Sam

    Sam Guest

    Can't you just multiply all the distances by 1.6 to convert from miles to kilometers?

    "cott5771" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am considering running my first marathon in August and already have a couple training plans. I
    > have read a couple books, most of which show training plans in miles, with conversion factors to
    > kilometers. Being an older Canadian, I actually grew up using Imperial measurements, but have
    > since "converted" to the Metric system (but I still buy ground beef by the pound?!).
    >
    > Does anyone have a twenty or more week training plan that is in
    kilometers,
    > or can you point me to a webiste with this info?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Roger

  4. I sympathise with your dilemma. Most of the races I do are marked in kilometres and we're blessed
    with a main road through nice countryside and woods that has kilometre stones beside the road every
    km for at least 17 k. But the training schedules I use are mainly from Runners World and are thus in
    miles, apart from shorter reps.

    As training at my level is not exactly a precision matter I regard 3 miles as 5 k, 5 miles as 8k, 6
    miles as 10 k, 8 miles as 13 or 14k, 10 miles as 16 k, 18 miles as 30k and 20 miles as 32k. That
    just about covers the distances given in the training schedules and saves me from too much advanced
    maths. Because of the km markers in my races I train pace per km rather than pace per mile; this is
    where the main road is a real boon; it also has a cycle path all the way down it, separated from the
    carriageway by a grass verge. If the schedule calls for mile reps I just run 1600 metres at our
    local tartan track

    "cott5771" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am considering running my first marathon in August and already have a couple training plans. I
    > have read a couple books, most of which show training plans in miles, with conversion factors to
    > kilometers. Being an older Canadian, I actually grew up using Imperial measurements, but have
    > since "converted" to the Metric system (but I still buy ground beef by the pound?!).
    >
    > Does anyone have a twenty or more week training plan that is in
    kilometers,
    > or can you point me to a webiste with this info?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Roger

  5. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Can't you just multiply all the distances by 1.6 to convert from miles to kilometers?

    Then you would be losing 9.3 metres for every mile you run. I would imagine this level of accuracy
    would be acceptable for training, though. :)

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most insecure people are the ones you see, putting
    other people down constantly."

  6. In article <[email protected]>, Sam wrote:
    > Can't you just multiply all the distances by 1.6 to convert from miles to kilometers?

    In fact Noakes has already done this and converted nearly every known program in existence into
    kilometers (I'm sure he did it to annoy us). Anyone else notice this ? You get all of these whole
    number multiples of 1.6 showing up in the training programs in that book (-;

    Cheers,