MARATHONS / NASCAR

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Pitstop29, Feb 15, 2004.

  1. Pitstop29

    Pitstop29 Guest

    Watching the Nascar race today I heard the annoncer say that Nascar is a "high speed game of chess"
    where you have to decide "how to move and when to move."

    There are "moves" of a defensive nature as well as offensive moves.

    Are there any obvious parallels with the 26.2 mile foot race we call "the marathon" ?

    ~~~~Pitstop

    (Yes, my nic was inspired by Nascar)

    Tags:

  2. ultrajohn1

    ultrajohn1 Guest

    clown f you ass hole bitch w

  3. The biggest defensive move in NASCAR today was that Texan making the blatantly planned point of
    mentioning that he flew jets while serving in the National Guard.

  4. Hardwarelust

    Hardwarelust Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Watching the Nascar race today I heard the annoncer say that Nascar is a "high speed game of
    > chess" where you have to decide "how to move and when to move."
    >

    > There are "moves" of a defensive nature as well as offensive moves.
    >

    > Are there any obvious parallels with the 26.2 mile foot race we call "the marathon" ?

    Obviously. More so than you can imagine since driving a racing car at high speed can be a very
    aerobic undertaking, to be sure.

    The consequences of a bad decision in a Cup car are far more drastic than in a marathon, however.
    :) Ask Michael Waltrip about that.

  5. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > clown f you ass hole bitch w

    Hey UJ does WEBTV have a forward feature? All this wonderful pontificating a and we don't have any
    idea who you responding to.

  6. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Watching the Nascar race today I heard the annoncer say that Nascar is a "high speed game of
    > chess" where you have to decide "how to move and when to move."

    That announcer's being silly - comparing chess in any way to Nascar (which is about as
    intellectual as 'pro' wrestling) is pretty silly. I'm not suggesting that running requires mental
    prowess or whatever, but at least it hasn't been Americanized into a silly circus for kids and
    trailer park types!

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

  7. On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 23:54:22 -0500 (EST), [email protected] (Miss
    Anne Thrope) wrote:

    >The biggest defensive move in NASCAR today was that Texan making the blatantly planned point of
    >mentioning that he flew jets while serving in the National Guard.

    I thought of that as more "offensive".

  8. Hardwarelust

    Hardwarelust Guest

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > Watching the Nascar race today I heard the annoncer say that Nascar is a "high speed game of
    > > chess" where you have to decide "how to move and when to move."
    >
    > That announcer's being silly - comparing chess in any way to Nascar (which is about as
    > intellectual as 'pro' wrestling) is pretty silly. I'm
    not
    > suggesting that running requires mental prowess or whatever, but at least it hasn't been
    > Americanized into a silly circus for kids and trailer park types!

    Ah, ignorance *and* prejudice, what a great combination!

    Considering that you just insinuated that the sport of running doesn't require "mental prowess or
    whatever", then it's obviously the perfect sport for you.

  9. Gone Tag .

    Gone Tag . Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:37:16 GMT, "HardwareLust" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Ah, ignorance *and* prejudice, what a great combination!

    Much as it grieves me to side with our musical chum, I fear he is correct. Most Yankee motor racing
    is undertaken by old men with the reactions of a comatose hamster and the technical knowledge of a
    Mississippi farmhand. The odd one that has any ability (Montoya, for example) struggles to make any
    headway when they leave your golden shores for the real world.

  10. Swstudio

    Swstudio Guest

    "HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > Watching the Nascar race today I heard the annoncer say that Nascar
    is
    > > > a "high speed game of chess" where you have to decide "how to move and when to move."
    > >
    > > That announcer's being silly - comparing chess in any way to Nascar (which is about as
    > > intellectual as 'pro' wrestling) is pretty silly. I'm
    > not
    > > suggesting that running requires mental prowess or whatever, but at least it hasn't been
    > > Americanized into a silly circus for kids and
    trailer
    > > park types!
    > >

    > Ah, ignorance *and* prejudice, what a great combination!
    >
    > Considering that you just insinuated that the sport of running doesn't require "mental prowess or
    > whatever", then it's obviously the perfect
    sport
    > for you.

    hahaha, good one. :)

    Seriously, I don't mean to cut up the phenomenon known as Nascar. Have fun with it, dude. You are
    right that I made a generalization based on the average fan I see. Perhaps I'm wrong, or perhaps
    there's a grain of truth to be seen.

    Either way, I honestly think Nascar is on a par with the WWF in the corny way it is presented. We
    all have our opinions, and this is the way I see it. I also can't see it being intellectual in any
    way. Sorry you don't see it my way.

    Agree to disagree.

    cheers,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org

  11. Ed Prochak

    Ed Prochak Guest

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "HardwareLust" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > > "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > is
    > > >
    > > > That announcer's being silly - comparing chess in any way to Nascar (which is about as
    > > > intellectual as 'pro' wrestling) is pretty silly. I'm
    > not
    > > > suggesting that running requires mental prowess or whatever, but at least it hasn't been
    > > > Americanized into a silly circus for kids and
    > trailer
    > > > park types!
    > > >

    > > Ah, ignorance *and* prejudice, what a great combination!
    > >
    > > Considering that you just insinuated that the sport of running doesn't require "mental prowess
    > > or whatever", then it's obviously the perfect
    > sport
    > > for you.
    >

    > hahaha, good one. :)
    >
    > Seriously, I don't mean to cut up the phenomenon known as Nascar. Have fun with it, dude. You are
    > right that I made a generalization based on the average fan I see. Perhaps I'm wrong, or perhaps
    > there's a grain of truth to be seen.
    >
    > Either way, I honestly think Nascar is on a par with the WWF in the corny way it is presented. We
    > all have our opinions, and this is the way I see it. I also can't see it being intellectual in any
    > way. Sorry you don't see it my way.
    >
    > Agree to disagree.
    >
    > cheers,

    I have a slightly different take. In taking up running, I see some parallels to chess in that there
    is a significant amount of mind games played. Aany level of competition this seems to hold true. And
    from running I see similar parallels in NASCAR.

    During a race there are tactical and strategic moves you make. Timing those moves is as
    important as making the move itself. Notice these issues and realize they apply to both running
    races and car races

    Do you pass early, gain the lead and establish yourself as the
    leader? Can you hold that lead for any significant amount of time?

    If starting from farther back, do you go with the flow of the traffic? or do you weave thru the
    field working to gain position early in the race?

    Do you join the lead pack? or do you stay back just a little to make it seem like you're struggling?

    Do you pass on a long straight-away? Or do you hold your move to just before the curve in order to
    gain the inside position?

    having a lead on someone, do you add speed to keep your inside position? or do you keep pace to
    conserve fuel for the long? (trading a little time here to gain as the other person has to take a
    stop later to refuel.)

    Do you pass on the uphill or downhill?

    Do you ever try to gage the condition of a racer ahead of you? To pick out a "target"? Are they low
    on fuel and you can make a move? Or are they still strong and you'll have to use some tactics such
    as making your turns tighter (thus shorter). Or maybe ducking behind a third person trying to
    prevent the "target" from seeing you?

    Do you try to pass before the final sprint in order to break your opponent's spirit and thus
    hold off a replying pass? or do you wait so your opponent will not have the time to respond
    before the finish?

    These mental games are different from chess only in some of the details. Turning your weakness
    into advantage, getting opposition to underestimate you, pushing the advantage at the right
    moments, and others are what I saw in the announcer's remark. To me they seem true for NASCAR,
    running, and chess.

    And I suspect real fans of all three see this as well.

    just another view, Ed