Marathons & Water Stops

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by P. Gregory, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. P. Gregory

    P. Gregory Guest

    I am a graduate student doing a project on service times and waiting. As a runner and marathoner, my
    topic is water stops in a marathon. I would appreciate your input on:
    1. Approximate percent of water stops that you stop at, in a spring marathon
    2. Does anybody have race management experience and know approximately how may cups of water a race
    plans on per person, for a marathon.

    Thank you for you input Polly

    Tags:

  2. Steve Common

    Steve Common Guest

    [email protected] (P. Gregory) wrote:

    >1. Approximate percent of water stops that you stop at, in a spring marathon

    All except the last = 7 supposing one per 5km. I drink around 200ml at each.

    >2. Does anybody have race management experience and know approximately how may cups of water a
    > race plans on per person, for a marathon.

    You might like to look at the stats on the Paris marathon website. They detail the number of bottles
    of water, bananas etc...

  3. I stop at almost every one provided. I might miss the last one.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    "P. Gregory" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I am a graduate student doing a project on service times and waiting. As a runner and marathoner,
    > my topic is water stops in a marathon. I would appreciate your input on:
    > 1. Approximate percent of water stops that you stop at, in a spring marathon
    > 2. Does anybody have race management experience and know approximately how may cups of water a
    > race plans on per person, for a marathon.
    >
    > Thank you for you input Polly

  4. Edward

    Edward Guest

    [email protected] (P. Gregory) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I am a graduate student doing a project on service times and waiting. As a runner and marathoner,
    > my topic is water stops in a marathon. I would appreciate your input on:
    > 1. Approximate percent of water stops that you stop at, in a spring marathon
    > 2. Does anybody have race management experience and know approximately how may cups of water a
    > race plans on per person, for a marathon.
    >
    > Thank you for you input Polly

    I will be running London in just over a week and plan to stop at 5 miles, 10 miles and 15 miles for
    the sports drink only. In my experience you should start the race fully hydrated (I generally drink
    around 2.5 litres of water a day, and in the two or three days before the race will increase this to
    about 3.5). On the morning of the race will drink about 0.5 litres or so.

    Edward

  5. Don Kirkman

    Don Kirkman Guest

    It seems to me I heard somewhere that P. Gregory wrote in article
    <[email protected]>:

    >I am a graduate student doing a project on service times and waiting. As a runner and marathoner,
    >my topic is water stops in a marathon. I would appreciate your input on:
    >1. Approximate percent of water stops that you stop at, in a spring marathon

    Most of my marathons have had water/sport drink stops every mile starting from the third mark,
    alternating water and sport drink. I usually pass the water tables and stop at the sport drink
    tables every two miles when they follow that pattern. Otherwise I try never to go more than two or
    three miles without whatever liquid is available.
    --
    Old marathoners never die, they just fade away in the long run. Don

  6. on 4/4/03 6:42 PM, Don Kirkman at [email protected] wrote:

    > It seems to me I heard somewhere that P. Gregory wrote in article
    > <[email protected]>:
    >
    >> I am a graduate student doing a project on service times and waiting. As a runner and marathoner,
    >> my topic is water stops in a marathon. I would appreciate your input on:
    >> 1. Approximate percent of water stops that you stop at, in a spring marathon
    >
    > Most of my marathons have had water/sport drink stops every mile starting from the third mark,
    > alternating water and sport drink. I usually pass the water tables and stop at the sport drink
    > tables every two miles when they follow that pattern. Otherwise I try never to go more than two or
    > three miles without whatever liquid is available.

    Sounds about what I'm planning for Boston, based on what's worked in my training runs. Boston's
    course, IIRC, starts water stops (with both water and sports drinks) at mile 2 and has them every
    mile thereafter on alternating sides of the road. I'll likely juice up with sports drink at miles
    3,6,9,12,etc., depending on weather.

    --
    Shalom, Peace, Salaam

    George Grattan