Marchisio Cassettes - anyone have any experience with them? Feedback?

marco007esq

Guest
I just came across these cassettes - which seem like a good solution to
the small problems I have with campy cassettes -- cost and the fact
that you can't really "make your own." You can pick and choose your
cogs, and build the cassette range you want.

Just wondering... I havent ever heard of them before. Has anyone used
them?

marco007esq wrote:
> I just came across these cassettes - which seem like a good solution

> the small problems I have with campy cassettes -- cost and the fact
> that you can't really "make your own." You can pick and choose your
> cogs, and build the cassette range you want.
>
> Just wondering... I havent ever heard of them before. Has anyone

used
> them?

You can sort of build your own 9 and 10 speed cassettes with
Campagnolo. You do have to buy two different Veloce cassettes and
piece them together. Veloce cassettes are all loose cogs in 9 and 10
speed.

The shifting ramps do not line up if you piece cogs into the middle so
your shifting may deteriorate at the changeover from one cassette to
the other cassette. It did for me. The best place to do this is at
the end of the cassette. Such as using the 28 cog from a 13-28 instead
of the 26 cog on a 13-26 cassette for 9 speed. Or using the 29 cog
instead of the 26 cog on a 13-26 cassette for 10 speed.

Bump up -- I was intrigued by this question. No answers?

pb

"marco007esq" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I just came across these cassettes - which seem like a good
> solution to the small problems I have with campy cassettes --
> cost and the fact that you can't really "make your own." You can
> pick and choose your cogs, and build the cassette range you
> want.

> Just wondering... I havent ever heard of them before. Has anyone
> used them?

I've used them, though not extensively.

It's a neat system. The tooth profile is simpler than Exadrive or
Hyperglide (similar to Shimano's old Uniglide system) and shifting isn't as
slick under load, but I found it good enough. I use SRAM chains.

The sprockets are light and a little thinner than thinner than those from
Campag and Shimano, and because they're separate they can tend to chew up
aluminium freehub bodies. It was my impression that they wear a little
faster, but of course they can be replaced individually.

James Thomson

PBridge130 wrote:
> Bump up -- I was intrigued by this question. No answers?

>> From: "marco007esq"

>> subject: Marchisio Cassettes - anyone have any experience with them?

>> I just came across these cassettes - which seem like a good solution
>> to the small problems I have with campy cassettes -- cost and the
>> fact that you can't really "make your own." You can pick and choose
>> your cogs, and build the cassette range you want.
>>
>> Just wondering... I havent ever heard of them before. Has anyone
>> used them?

I use two or three Marchisio sprockets at the large end to customise
Campagnolo 9-speed cassettes. They do the job and I'm grateful for the
options they provide, including 30T cogs. I can't properly judge shifting
performance as I've not used a full Marchisio cassette.

The cogs are supposed to be fitted a certain way up (for best shifting)
but in fact can be reversed to double the life, thanks to the spline
adaptor design.

Aviotek model cogs are lighter than Veloce's. Plural are heavier but
cheaper.

One side effect: The twisted square shape of the teeth can make the chain
derail to the next smallest sprocket when back-pedalling in certain low
gears if the chainline is less than ideal, when the edge of the chain
rides up instead the tooth engaging. Won't happen with all setups.

Info: www.anysystem.de

~PB

Kenny wrote:
> Did you use http://www.anysystem.de/ ? There order system seems a
> little cluncky.

I have ordered direct from anysystem.de. Service was excellent.

Note to UK readers: A Moneybookers account is needed as they don't accept
credit/debit cards and no COD service is available for the UK any more.

~PB

David Damerell wrote.... nothing that I can read.

Something funny has happened to your message. Would you repost please.

cheers
~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> David Damerell wrote.... nothing that I can read.
>

> Something funny has happened to your message. Would you repost
> please.

It's not "funny"; it's "poignant".

Yawn.

Pete Biggs wrote:

> David Damerell wrote.... nothing that I can read.
>

> Something funny has happened to your message. Would you repost please.

Pete,

I expect you are using Micro$oft Outlook. David Damerell formats his
posts in a manner that trips up Outlook.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth

Tom Sherman wrote:
> Pete Biggs wrote:
>
>> David Damerell wrote.... nothing that I can read.
>>
>> Something funny has happened to your message. Would you repost
>> please.

> Pete,
>
> I expect you are using Micro$oft Outlook.

OE.

> David Damerell formats his
> posts in a manner that trips up Outlook.

Deliberately?

I've been able to read David's messages up until yesterday. Did he write
anything interesting? ;-)

~PB

I wrote:
> Note to UK readers: A Moneybookers account is needed as they don't
> accept credit/debit cards and no COD service is available for the UK
> any more.

Marchisio stuff is also available to UK buyers from Parker International.

~PB

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> Pete Biggs wrote:
>>
>>> David Damerell wrote.... nothing that I can read.
>>>
>>> Something funny has happened to your message. Would you repost
>>> please.

>> Pete,
>>
>> I expect you are using Micro$oft Outlook.

> OE.
>
>> David Damerell formats his
>> posts in a manner that trips up Outlook.

> Deliberately?
>
> I've been able to read David's messages up until yesterday. Did he
> write anything interesting? ;-)

He's been doing it for about a month now, and who cares? :p

Pete Biggs wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
> > Pete Biggs wrote:
> >
> >> David Damerell wrote.... nothing that I can read.
> >>
> >> Something funny has happened to your message. Would you repost
> >> please.

> > Pete,
> >
> > I expect you are using Micro$oft Outlook.

> OE.
>
> > David Damerell formats his
> > posts in a manner that trips up Outlook.

> Deliberately?
>
> I've been able to read David's messages up until yesterday. Did he

write
> anything interesting? ;-)
>
> ~PB

Dear Pete,

Well, it appears from the late Mr. Damerell's post that he was kind to
his mother . . .

[Someone has defaced the funeral eulogy chapter in my copy of "Roughing
It"]

"Says he, 'No Outlook users need apply!' And they didn't. He was the
bulliest man in rec.bicycles.tech, pard! He could lie faster, top-post
higher, pedal harder, and hold more tangle-foot whisky without spilling
it than any man in seventeen newsgroups. Put that in, pard--it'll
please the boys more than anything you could say. And you can say,
pard, that he never shook his mother."

"Never shook his mother?"

"That's it--any of the boys will tell you so."

"Well, but why should he shake her?"

"That's what I say--but some people does."

"Not people of any repute?"

"Well, some that averages pretty so-so."

"In my opinion the man that would offer personal violence to his own
mother, ought to--"

"Cheese it, pard; you've shifted your chain clean outside the granny.
What I was a drivin' at was that he never throwed off on his
mother--don't you see? No indeedy. He give her a bike to ride, and a
rain cape, and plenty of chain oil; and he looked after her and took
care of her all the time; and when she had a derailleur problem I'm
d---d if he didn't sit up nights and install an internal hub gear
system for her himself!"

(There are ugly rumors that Mrs. Damerell never heard from her son
again after she embraced Microsoft Outlook, but clearly Mark Twain did
not believe them.)

Anyone curious about the precise degree of pettiness achieved in these
parts can pursue the matter here in the older and easier to read UK
version of Google Groups:

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?h...t3kg0t35gt72l1fp026o2dgptl6k%404ax.com&rnum=2

or http://tinyurl.com/5kmw6

Carl Fogel

Bill Sornson wrote:

>>> David Damerell formats his
>>> posts in a manner that trips up Outlook.

>> Deliberately?
>>
>> I've been able to read David's messages up until yesterday. Did he
>> write anything interesting? ;-)

> He's been doing it for about a month now, and who cares? :p

I care that others may be misled by any duff info he posts that goes
uncorrected.

~PB