margarine vs. butter

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by taurusrc, Feb 14, 2004.

  1. taurusrc

    taurusrc Guest

    Is it true that margarine does not spoil? If so, why not?

    Ora

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:

    > Is it true that margarine does not spoil? If so, why not?
    >
    > Ora

    Margarine spoils. Why do you think it's always found in the refrigerated section of the supermarket.

    --Jeff

    --
    Ho, ho, ho, hee, hee, hee and a couple of ha, ha, has; That's how we pass the day away, in the merry
    old land of Oz.

  3. taurusrc

    taurusrc Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:43:23 -0500, Jeffrey Turner <[email protected]> wrote:

    >[email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> Is it true that margarine does not spoil? If so, why not?
    >>
    >> Ora
    >
    >Margarine spoils. Why do you think it's always found in the refrigerated section of the
    >supermarket.
    >
    >--Jeff

    So it won't get runny. Margarine is made from oil. Oil is not kept in the refrigerated section. Does
    oil spoil? How about olive oil.

    Ora

  4. Jmk

    Jmk Guest

    On 2/16/2004 8:39 PM, [email protected] wrote:
    > On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:43:23 -0500, Jeffrey Turner <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>[email protected] wrote:
    >>

    >>>Is it true that margarine does not spoil? If so, why not?
    >>>
    >>>Ora
    >>
    >>Margarine spoils. Why do you think it's always found in the refrigerated section of the
    >>supermarket.
    >>
    >>--Jeff
    >

    > So it won't get runny. Margarine is made from oil. Oil is not kept in the refrigerated section.
    > Does oil spoil? How about olive oil.

    Yes oils, including olive oil, can turn rancid. I believe olive oil can be stored for up to two
    years provided it is stored properly (tight cap, coolish temperature but not refrigerated, stored
    away from light).

    --
    jmk in NC

  5. [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Once upon a time, our fellow jmk rambled on
    about "Re: margarine vs. butter." Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts,
    thusly ...

    >Yes oils, including olive oil, can turn rancid. I believe olive oil can be stored for up to two
    >years provided it is stored properly (tight cap, coolish temperature but not refrigerated, stored
    >away from light).

    Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

    You have my condolences.

  6. Matt

    Matt Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Is it true that margarine does not spoil? If so, why not?
    >
    > Ora

    Margarine is a mixture of partially-hydrogenated oils and water. Like butter, it is about 1/3 water.

    Oil is degraded by oxygen, moisture, heat, and light.

    I believe the water separates out of soft margarines at room temperature, but not out of stick
    margarines.

    Liquid oils can be stored at room temperature because they don't contain water.

    Partial hydrogenation protects oil from oxidation (rancidity). It also generates trans fats, which
    causes blockage of arteries.

    Eating lots of partially-hydogenated oils (especially in stick margarines, boxed doughnuts, and deep-
    fried french fries) is one of the most popular ways to shorten a life by 5, 10, or 20 years.