margarine vs. butter

taurusrc

Guest
Is it true that margarine does not spoil? If so, why not?

Ora

[email protected] wrote:

> Is it true that margarine does not spoil? If so, why not?
>
> Ora

Margarine spoils. Why do you think it's always found in the refrigerated section of the supermarket.

--Jeff

--
Ho, ho, ho, hee, hee, hee and a couple of ha, ha, has; That's how we pass the day away, in the merry
old land of Oz.

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:43:23 -0500, Jeffrey Turner <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] wrote:
>
>> Is it true that margarine does not spoil? If so, why not?
>>
>> Ora
>
>Margarine spoils. Why do you think it's always found in the refrigerated section of the
>supermarket.
>
>--Jeff

So it won't get runny. Margarine is made from oil. Oil is not kept in the refrigerated section. Does
oil spoil? How about olive oil.

Ora

On 2/16/2004 8:39 PM, [email protected] wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 13:43:23 -0500, Jeffrey Turner <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>[email protected] wrote:
>>

>>>Is it true that margarine does not spoil? If so, why not?
>>>
>>>Ora
>>
>>Margarine spoils. Why do you think it's always found in the refrigerated section of the
>>supermarket.
>>
>>--Jeff
>

> So it won't get runny. Margarine is made from oil. Oil is not kept in the refrigerated section.
> Does oil spoil? How about olive oil.

Yes oils, including olive oil, can turn rancid. I believe olive oil can be stored for up to two
years provided it is stored properly (tight cap, coolish temperature but not refrigerated, stored
away from light).

--
jmk in NC

[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Once upon a time, our fellow jmk rambled on
about "Re: margarine vs. butter." Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts,
thusly ...

>Yes oils, including olive oil, can turn rancid. I believe olive oil can be stored for up to two
>years provided it is stored properly (tight cap, coolish temperature but not refrigerated, stored
>away from light).

Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

You have my condolences.

[email protected] wrote:
> Is it true that margarine does not spoil? If so, why not?
>
> Ora

Margarine is a mixture of partially-hydrogenated oils and water. Like butter, it is about 1/3 water.

Oil is degraded by oxygen, moisture, heat, and light.

I believe the water separates out of soft margarines at room temperature, but not out of stick
margarines.

Liquid oils can be stored at room temperature because they don't contain water.

Partial hydrogenation protects oil from oxidation (rancidity). It also generates trans fats, which
causes blockage of arteries.

Eating lots of partially-hydogenated oils (especially in stick margarines, boxed doughnuts, and deep-
fried french fries) is one of the most popular ways to shorten a life by 5, 10, or 20 years.