marin bikes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Doug Inman, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Doug Inman

    Doug Inman Guest

    Hey Anybody, Are Marin bikes any good? I mean compared to Cannondale and Trek?

    Tags:

  2. Ken

    Ken Guest

  3. Bran

    Bran Guest

    "Doug Inman" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003
    01:05:19 UTC

    -> Hey Anybody, -> Are Marin bikes any good? I mean compared to Cannondale and Trek? -> they are
    even good if you compare them to better bike makers than crack'n'fail and Drek

    --
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

  4. Ellen G

    Ellen G Guest

    Doug Inman wrote:
    > Hey Anybody, Are Marin bikes any good? I mean compared to Cannondale and Trek?

    I have a Marin Bear Vally, circa 1999 or 2000, can't remember. It's before they turned it out with
    no suspension. Mine is a hard tail with Manitou front shocks. I rode the heck out of it for 2 years
    and really haven't done much with it since. But it's a hell of a bike and took all the punishment I
    dished out over some pretty technical trails.

    Are you looking at mountain or road? Ellen

  5. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Bran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Doug Inman" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003
    > 01:05:19 UTC
    >
    > -> Hey Anybody, -> Are Marin bikes any good? I mean compared to Cannondale and Trek? -> they are
    > even good if you compare them to better bike makers than crack'n'fail and Drek

    Before you shoot your mouth off with what passes for wit in junior high school, consider that
    Cannondale and Trek are both big enough to have real engineers on their payrolls. Furthermore, Trek
    has a reputation for the best warranty service in the biz, and a Cannondale frame beat all others in
    a fatigue test by a German magazine.

    Matt O.

  6. Bran

    Bran Guest

    "Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:06:06 UTC

    -> Before you shoot your mouth off with what passes for wit in junior high school, -> consider that
    Cannondale and Trek are both big enough to have real engineers on -> their payrolls.

    Given that I broke three cannondales in one season and was ultimitly asked to never buy one of their
    bikes again as a condition of getting my refund I think my opinion is quite apt in that case. the
    bike I bought subsequently lasted 5 years until it was stolen.

    As for Trek i just see them as inflated in price for no good reason. Save money and get a better
    equiped bike by avoiding their brand.

    When I was in the oilfield we loved engineers; always got overtime to fix

    that where there is a practical application its better to let the tradesman have the final say; they
    know what works not what is supposed to work.

    The OP compaired a line of bikes that I respect with one I personally class with *mart because of my
    experience and one I think is overrated. sorry that you feel obliged to defend them by attacking me.

    what was that that Twain said about lies, damned lies and statistics?

    --

  7. Bran <[email protected]> wrote:
    : what was that that Twain said about lies, damned lies and statistics?

    i'd always heard it attributed to Benjamin Disraeli (i used to do scientific visualization for a
    living, we loved this quote). in fact a google search shows 2,780 attributes to disraeli and
    2,360 to twain.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  8. Bran

    Bran Guest

    David Reuteler <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:17:28 UTC

    -> i'd always heard it attributed to Benjamin Disraeli (i used to do scientific -> visualization for
    a living, we loved this quote). in fact a google search -> shows 2,780 attributes to disraeli and
    2,360 to twain.

    and according to dave barry the internet tells there are hundereds of naked young women that want to
    meet us so we really cannot be that sure of its truthfullness.

    just paraphrased the above but I have heard both but favoured the Twain attribution without
    just cause.

    --

  9. Bran <[email protected]> wrote:
    : and according to dave barry the internet tells there are hundereds of naked young women that want
    : to meet us so we really cannot be that sure of its truthfullness.

    speak for yourself. i know that to be true.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  10. Matthew

    Matthew Guest

    "Bran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > David Reuteler <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:17:28 UTC
    >
    > -> i'd always heard it attributed to Benjamin Disraeli (i used to do
    scientific
    > -> visualization for a living, we loved this quote). in fact a google
    search
    > -> shows 2,780 attributes to disraeli and 2,360 to twain.
    >
    > and according to dave barry the internet tells there are hundereds of
    naked
    > young women that want to meet us so we really cannot be that sure of its truthfullness.
    >
    > just paraphrased the above but I have heard both but favoured the Twain attribution without
    > just cause.

    See http://www1c.btwebworld.com/quote-unquote/p0000149.htm

    Matthew

  11. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Bran" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    <<snip..>>

    > When I was in the oilfield we loved engineers; always got overtime to fix

    > that where there is a practical application its better to let the
    tradesman
    > have the final say; they know what works not what is supposed to work.

    <<snip..>>

    > I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    > [email protected]

    Yeah, it's fortunate that skyscrapers are designed by janitors, not engineers..I mean, who knows
    WHAT would happen if they designed them!! ;-)

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  12. Bran

    Bran Guest

    David Reuteler <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:36:01 UTC

    -> by quoting google statistics i was shooting for irony. sadly, i'm afraid -> i'm missing. -> -> i
    was serious wrt to the girls, tho. ->

    Well you live a good and noble life then. On the other hand I keep hoping for more women in the 30+
    group to show up.
    --
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

  13. Bran

    Bran Guest

    "S. Anderson" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003
    23:03:12 UTC

    -> Yeah, it's fortunate that skyscrapers are designed by janitors, not -> engineers..I mean, who
    knows WHAT would happen if they designed them!! ;-) -> ->

    well i think I will let that go as we have seen quite often what happens to those buildings. I have
    a quote about the Native HighSteel workers some place that contended that without them NYC would be
    a collection of three story walk-ups and ferry crossings.
    --
    I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
    [email protected]

  14. Bernie

    Bernie Guest

    Bran wrote:

    >David Reuteler <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:36:01 UTC
    >
    >-> by quoting google statistics i was shooting for irony. sadly, i'm afraid -> i'm missing. -> -> i
    >was serious wrt to the girls, tho. ->
    >
    >Well you live a good and noble life then. On the other hand I keep hoping for more women in the 30+
    >group to show up.

    There's lots of them. We're the divorced generation for goodness sake. Luckily, they don't want to
    be alone either! Best regards, Bernie