marin bikes

Doug Inman

Guest
Hey Anybody, Are Marin bikes any good? I mean compared to Cannondale and Trek?

"Doug Inman" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003
01:05:19 UTC

-> Hey Anybody, -> Are Marin bikes any good? I mean compared to Cannondale and Trek? -> they are
even good if you compare them to better bike makers than crack'n'fail and Drek

--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
[email protected]

Doug Inman wrote:
> Hey Anybody, Are Marin bikes any good? I mean compared to Cannondale and Trek?

I have a Marin Bear Vally, circa 1999 or 2000, can't remember. It's before they turned it out with
no suspension. Mine is a hard tail with Manitou front shocks. I rode the heck out of it for 2 years
and really haven't done much with it since. But it's a hell of a bike and took all the punishment I
dished out over some pretty technical trails.

Are you looking at mountain or road? Ellen

"Bran" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Doug Inman" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003
> 01:05:19 UTC
>
> -> Hey Anybody, -> Are Marin bikes any good? I mean compared to Cannondale and Trek? -> they are
> even good if you compare them to better bike makers than crack'n'fail and Drek

Before you shoot your mouth off with what passes for wit in junior high school, consider that
Cannondale and Trek are both big enough to have real engineers on their payrolls. Furthermore, Trek
has a reputation for the best warranty service in the biz, and a Cannondale frame beat all others in
a fatigue test by a German magazine.

Matt O.

"Matt O'Toole" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003 18:06:06 UTC

-> Before you shoot your mouth off with what passes for wit in junior high school, -> consider that
Cannondale and Trek are both big enough to have real engineers on -> their payrolls.

Given that I broke three cannondales in one season and was ultimitly asked to never buy one of their
bikes again as a condition of getting my refund I think my opinion is quite apt in that case. the
bike I bought subsequently lasted 5 years until it was stolen.

As for Trek i just see them as inflated in price for no good reason. Save money and get a better
equiped bike by avoiding their brand.

When I was in the oilfield we loved engineers; always got overtime to fix

that where there is a practical application its better to let the tradesman have the final say; they
know what works not what is supposed to work.

The OP compaired a line of bikes that I respect with one I personally class with *mart because of my
experience and one I think is overrated. sorry that you feel obliged to defend them by attacking me.

what was that that Twain said about lies, damned lies and statistics?

--

Bran <[email protected]> wrote:
: what was that that Twain said about lies, damned lies and statistics?

i'd always heard it attributed to Benjamin Disraeli (i used to do scientific visualization for a
living, we loved this quote). in fact a google search shows 2,780 attributes to disraeli and
2,360 to twain.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

David Reuteler <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:17:28 UTC

-> i'd always heard it attributed to Benjamin Disraeli (i used to do scientific -> visualization for
a living, we loved this quote). in fact a google search -> shows 2,780 attributes to disraeli and
2,360 to twain.

and according to dave barry the internet tells there are hundereds of naked young women that want to
meet us so we really cannot be that sure of its truthfullness.

just paraphrased the above but I have heard both but favoured the Twain attribution without
just cause.

--

Bran <[email protected]> wrote:
: and according to dave barry the internet tells there are hundereds of naked young women that want
: to meet us so we really cannot be that sure of its truthfullness.

speak for yourself. i know that to be true.
--

> David Reuteler <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003 21:17:28 UTC
>
> -> i'd always heard it attributed to Benjamin Disraeli (i used to do
scientific
> -> visualization for a living, we loved this quote). in fact a google
search
> -> shows 2,780 attributes to disraeli and 2,360 to twain.
>
> and according to dave barry the internet tells there are hundereds of
naked
> young women that want to meet us so we really cannot be that sure of its truthfullness.
>
> just paraphrased the above but I have heard both but favoured the Twain attribution without
> just cause.

See http://www1c.btwebworld.com/quote-unquote/p0000149.htm

Matthew

"Bran" <[email protected]> wrote in message

<<snip..>>

> When I was in the oilfield we loved engineers; always got overtime to fix

> that where there is a practical application its better to let the
tradesman
> have the final say; they know what works not what is supposed to work.

<<snip..>>

> I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
> [email protected]

Yeah, it's fortunate that skyscrapers are designed by janitors, not engineers..I mean, who knows
WHAT would happen if they designed them!! ;-)

Cheers,

Scott..

David Reuteler <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:36:01 UTC

-> by quoting google statistics i was shooting for irony. sadly, i'm afraid -> i'm missing. -> -> i
was serious wrt to the girls, tho. ->

Well you live a good and noble life then. On the other hand I keep hoping for more women in the 30+
group to show up.
--
I hurt before the ride so fibro gives me a head start on the rest of the pack. silver lining?
[email protected]

"S. Anderson" <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003
23:03:12 UTC

-> Yeah, it's fortunate that skyscrapers are designed by janitors, not -> engineers..I mean, who
knows WHAT would happen if they designed them!! ;-) -> ->

well i think I will let that go as we have seen quite often what happens to those buildings. I have
a quote about the Native HighSteel workers some place that contended that without them NYC would be
a collection of three story walk-ups and ferry crossings.
--

Bran wrote:

>David Reuteler <[email protected]> spake thusly on or about Wed, 24 Sep 2003 22:36:01 UTC
>
>-> by quoting google statistics i was shooting for irony. sadly, i'm afraid -> i'm missing. -> -> i
>was serious wrt to the girls, tho. ->
>
>Well you live a good and noble life then. On the other hand I keep hoping for more women in the 30+
>group to show up.

There's lots of them. We're the divorced generation for goodness sake. Luckily, they don't want to
be alone either! Best regards, Bernie