Marin vs. Jamis flat bar road/cross bike decision?

Xyphis

Feb 26, 2008
I am in a bit of an odd opportunity situation. I can obtain either a Jamis or Marin bike in the <$1300 range (I know it's an odd number, it's rather complicated :eek:). I was hoping to get something that will be used mostly on roads with minor hills, but occasional "rail to trail" situations. I was thinking that a flat bar road/cross like a Marin Mill Valley or a Jamis Allegro 3x might fit the bill, but perhaps there is a better one within the two brand lines? I would appreciate anyones help in the matter.

My experience in Cycling was quite vast..........20 years ago:rolleyes:.......when I used to race. Alas, technology has grown well beyond my Specialized Allez and I now know next to nothing in making this specific decision. It has to be one or the other as far as brands are concerned, although I could go with any bike in either line. Perhaps either bike would be great, but I honestly don't know.

Thanx in advance for helping out a newbie:D

They are both reputable bike brands. If you want an opinion of which is better, please provide a component list for each bike.

My best advice is to test ride each bike and choose the one you like the best.

You mentioned the Allegro 3X above. I would go with the Allegro 3. The suspension fork on the 3x will make the bike heavier and you really don't need it if your just doing rail trails and road riding. the Allegro 3 is also more comparable of a bike to the Marin because of its similar road components. I would choose either Jamis although the Allegro 3 would be my first choice of the Jamis.

dbackmtg said:
You mentioned the Allegro 3X above. I would go with the Allegro 3. The suspension fork on the 3x will make the bike heavier and you really don't need it if your just doing rail trails and road riding. the Allegro 3 is also more comparable of a bike to the Marin because of its similar road components. I would choose either Jamis although the Allegro 3 would be my first choice of the Jamis.
Thanx :) . Rode a few bikes the other day:

The Jamis Coda Elite was a great ride, although the one I rode was a 2007 and is not available to me. The 2008 is, although there is a change from 631 to 520 steel (probably couldn't tell myself though)

Come tomorrow I will find an Allegro3 and a Marin to ride. I rode the Allegro3x and it seemed a bit "sloppy"? Perhaps i'm just used to my old (OLD) road bike, but the suspension didn't seem a great plus.

Thanx again for your help so far

You might also consider a Jamis Aurora Elite. I bought a 2007 Aurora last year (before the Elite version was available) for exactly the kind of riding you describe (hilly roads plus rails-to-trails) and I have been very happy with it. My wife bought a Jamis Coda Comp at the same time, which had better components for about the same price. But having borrowed a few hybrid (cross) bikes, I decided that I prefer drop handles to a flat bar, because drop handles are more comfortable in the long run and let you get your body lower when there's a head wind, or you're moving faster. The Aurora is designed as a touring bike, and so it has a more upright posture than a traditional road bike, but not as upright as the Coda's. It will accommodate wider tires than a racing road bike--as wide as the Coda's--which helps on the trails. The Aurora also has a steel frame, and I think the new Elite model has a higher quality steel and a carbon fork, and is in your approximate price range.

Xyphis said:
These 2 bikes are on opposite ends of the "Hybrid" spectrum. The Marin is more road bike, and the Jamis is more mountain bike. If you like both equally, let your typical biking terrain make the choice for you (road or mountain).

Scotty_Dog said:
These 2 bikes are on opposite ends of the "Hybrid" spectrum. The Marin is more road bike, and the Jamis is more mountain bike. If you like both equally, let your typical biking terrain make the choice for you (road or mountain).
Now THAT is some GREAT advice :) .

I talked with the person who will set up either bike. He leaned me toward the Marin because it will be used on roads mostly. He also brought up the fact that he has had a few Jamis come in with frame failures and would prefer I bought the Marin for that reason as well (he's a dealer of both, yet does not have an interest in this sale). He will always swap out anything that doesn't work for me (seat/brakes/bar/etc.) so I guess I'll be fine either way (I noticed one of his personal bikes in the corner - not of either brand but an aluminum/carbon hybrid - perhaps a further bias toward the Mill Valley).

So the Marin Mill Valley has been ordered. Now off to see what computer/pedals/?handlebar extenders? I'll put on it.

Thanx again for all your help :D

Scotty_Dog said:
They are both reputable bike brands. If you want an opinion of which is better, please provide a component list for each bike.

My best advice is to test ride each bike and choose the one you like the best.
page 1

My only advice is to be leary of those Shimano R500 wheels if you're a heavier rider, somewhere about #170. See if the dealer will let you trade them for something with a higher spoke count. I'm advising against them because a lot of guys on roadbikereview.com have reported problems wiith them and when I (#180) test rode a bike with them, there were plenty of "pinging" sounds coming from the rear wheel.