Marinated chicken

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Gary Wachs, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Gary Wachs

    Gary Wachs Guest

    I just can't figure out how to cook marinated chicken.

    I've tried a few times and it never tastes right. It doesn't seem like the marinate has soaked into
    the chicken at all, that it's just a coating.

    Could someone give me a step-by-step recipe for a very very very simply basic easy marinated chicken
    recipe, either cooktop or oven is fine.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. The Ranger

    The Ranger Guest

    Gary Wachs <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just can't figure out how to cook marinated chicken.
    >
    > I've tried a few times and it never tastes right. It doesn't seem like the marinate has soaked
    > into the chicken at all, that it's just a coating.
    >
    > Could someone give me a step-by-step recipe for a very very very simply basic easy marinated
    > chicken recipe, either cooktop or oven is fine.

    Easiest: Buy one bottle Wishbone Italian. Put four chicken breasts in a Ziploc(tm) freezer storage
    bag. Shake bottle and pour ingredients into bag with chicken breasts. Seal. Shake bag to cover
    chicken. Repeat process every four hours. Let chicken soak overnight [in fridge.] Bake or fry up at
    next meal.

    Less easy but delicious: Combine 1/2 cup Lite Soy Sauce (Kikomann) with 1 tsp. crushed ginger, 1
    tsp. crushed garlic in mixing cup. In a Ziploc freezer storage bag, place four chicken breasts, pour
    marinade over chicken and seal bag. Shake bag to cover chicken. Repeat process every four hours. Let
    chicken soak overnight [in fridge.] Bake or fry up at next meal.

    The Ranger

  3. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Gary Wachs wrote:

    > I just can't figure out how to cook marinated chicken.
    >
    > I've tried a few times and it never tastes right. It doesn't seem like the marinate has soaked
    > into the chicken at all, that it's just a coating.
    >
    > Could someone give me a step-by-step recipe for a very very very simply basic easy marinated
    > chicken recipe, either cooktop or oven is fine.

    It depends on the marinade. I make up a mixture of olive oil and lemon juice with garlic, salt
    pepper and herbs, usually oregano that I use for grilling or bbqing skinless chicken breasts. I
    usually let it marinade for a few hours before grilling.

    I also like to use a Tandoori marinade made with tandoori powder, oil, lemon juice and yoghurt. It
    is best to use boneless chicken pieces and to pierce the meat to the bone to get the marinade right
    into the pieces. The chicken can be marinated overnight. Wipe off the excess marinade and bake or
    grill quickly on high high heat. The marinade not only gives the chicken great flavour, but it also
    tenderizes it.

  4. Christine

    Christine Guest

    How long are you letting the chicken sit in the marinade? Overnight is best if you really want the
    flavor to penetrate.

    "Gary Wachs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I just can't figure out how to cook marinated chicken.
    >
    > I've tried a few times and it never tastes right. It doesn't seem like the marinate has soaked
    > into the chicken at all, that it's just a coating.
    >
    > Could someone give me a step-by-step recipe for a very very very simply basic easy marinated
    > chicken recipe, either cooktop or oven is fine.
    >
    > Thanks.

  5. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 17:02:20 -0800, "Gary Wachs" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I just can't figure out how to cook marinated chicken.
    >
    >I've tried a few times and it never tastes right. It doesn't seem like the marinate has soaked into
    >the chicken at all, that it's just a coating.
    >
    >Could someone give me a step-by-step recipe for a very very very simply basic easy marinated
    >chicken recipe, either cooktop or oven is fine.

    Marinades *don't* soak very far into meat. Perhaps a little further than a "coating", but not to the
    interior. Hence gadgetry to "inject" marinades. (Think of slits cut into lamb roast and garlic
    inserted). Often the marinade or 'drippings' are used to make a sauce, which reinforces the
    flavorings when the dish is eaten. You might get more mileage by marinating strips or chunks rather
    than larger pieces.

  6. Daisy

    Daisy Guest

    Chicken is probably the most bland meat (apart from turkey) that a cook will ever encounter! I have
    tried and tried to get some flavour injected into this awful white meat stuff, and have now resorted
    mainly to curries - or any other Indian or Thai treatment of this bird.

    I use butter chicken recipes, tandoori and Thai red curry chicken recipes and totally give away
    anything else. Maybe you can marinate the stuff overnight shaking around the marinade every 4 hours
    or so, but what a bore!

    One thing that works okay if you don't mind the chicken a tad dry is the following:

    One (ore more) chicken breasts with or without skin. Chicken stock. Lemon juice Salt and pepper Bay
    leaves and/or other fresh herbs (i.e. tarragon).

    Put the chicken breasts in a pot that will contain them snugly. Pour over chicken stock to cover.
    Add sufficient lemon juice for the number of chicken breasts (1 tbsp per breast is about right).
    Salt and pepper, a couple of bay leaves and a sprinkling of fresh herbs.

    Bring to the boil and then cover tightly and turn off the heat. Leave for a minimum of one and a
    half hours.

    The chicken will be cooked don't worry providing you leave the chicken to cool in the liquid, remove
    and then you can slice finely for salads
    - or whatever you want to use the poached chicken for.

    I have used this recipe a number of times. It doesn't dry out the chicken as much as most other
    recipes do, but is not exactly perfect for all that. It is fine in summer as a salad topping - and
    you can spread sauce or mayonnaise on as well.

    Daisy.

    Don't assume malice for what stupidity can explain.

  7. Loki

    Loki Guest

    il Wed, 28 Jan 2004 18:31:05 +1300, Daisy ha scritto:

    > Chicken is probably the most bland meat (apart from turkey) that a cook will ever encounter! I
    > have tried and tried to get some flavour injected into this awful white meat stuff, and have now
    > resorted mainly to curries - or any other Indian or Thai treatment of this bird.
    >
    > I use butter chicken recipes, tandoori and Thai red curry chicken recipes and totally give away
    > anything else. Maybe you can marinate the stuff overnight shaking around the marinade every 4
    > hours or so, but what a bore!

    I eat chicken a lot and recently I've been patting sumac onto chicken breasts and cooking that. The
    sumac seems to keep it moist as well as giving a nice lemony flavour, and pink colour. Otherwise I
    go the tandoori way. Right now I have a piece in the fridge coated in tandoori paste and crushed
    garlic (ran out of yoghurt). Tastes great when fried up.

    --
    Cheers, Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]