Marinoni or Giant road bike?

Amr

Guest
Here's a question for folks familiar with Marinoni and Giant bikes: I'm looking to replace my old
road bike with a new bike, and I've considering either the Marinoni Ciclo Alu (i.e., the one built
with Zonal aluminum) or the Giant OCR1. Since the Marinoni is a "semi-custom" bike I can order it
from the factory with my choice of components and paint job, but it's considerably more expensive
than Giant's OCR1. Is the Marinoni worth the extra money? Is it worth adding the Xtra carbon rear
triangle option?

I bought an OCR1 2 years ago and have put several thousand miles on it. I love it. I have recomended
it to members of my local bike club and 3 have been bought. None of the people who bought them have
regretted it. Its a great beginner level bike but you can still run with the big dogs on the large
group rides.

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:31:36 GMT,
<[email protected]>,
"AMR" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Here's a question for folks familiar with Marinoni and Giant bikes: I'm looking to replace my
> old road bike with a new bike, and I've considering either the Marinoni Ciclo Alu (i.e., the one
> built with Zonal aluminum) or the Giant OCR1.

Custom vs. CookieCutter. No contest.

Artisan built bikes have class. Giant makes kid's bikes.

Buy Canadian, eh.
--
zk

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 10:21:40 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Sat, 14 Feb 2004 01:31:36 GMT, <[email protected]>, "AMR"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Here's a question for folks familiar with Marinoni and Giant bikes: I'm looking to replace my
>> old road bike with a new bike, and I've considering either the Marinoni Ciclo Alu (i.e., the
>> one built with Zonal aluminum) or the Giant OCR1.
>
>Custom vs. CookieCutter. No contest.
>
>Artisan built bikes have class. Giant makes kid's bikes.

But with the cost differential, you could buy a kid a bike.

-Luigi www.livejournal.com/users/ouij photos, rants, raves

Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:15:51 -0500,
<[email protected]>,
Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:

>>Artisan built bikes have class. Giant makes kid's bikes.
>
>But with the cost differential, you could buy a kid a bike.

True, but for $75.00 extra the Marinoni can be custom sized.

The Giant's compact geometry can't be resized for any price. It only comes in one colour scheme and
doesn't use Columbus tubing.

It's like comparing apples to road apples.
--
zk

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 15:45:13 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Sat, 14 Feb 2004 14:15:51 -0500, <[email protected]>, Luigi de Guzman
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>>Artisan built bikes have class. Giant makes kid's bikes.
>>
>>But with the cost differential, you could buy a kid a bike.
>
>True, but for $75.00 extra the Marinoni can be custom sized.
>
>The Giant's compact geometry can't be resized for any price. It only comes in one colour scheme and
>doesn't use Columbus tubing.
>
>It's like comparing apples to road apples.

riposte, remise, touche.

I yield.

-Luigi www.livejournal.com/users/ouij photos, rants, raves

In article <[email protected]>, luigi12081 @cox.net says...

> >It's like comparing apples to road apples.
>
> riposte, remise, touche.

Are you actually a fencer, or do you just know those terms? I find fencing a good cross-training
sport for the legs. It actually started out the other way around (cycling as cross-training for
fencing), but it has turned into fencing as cross-training for cycling.

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:02:03 -0500, David Kerber
<ns_dkerber@ns_ids.net> wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, luigi12081 @cox.net says...

>> >It's like comparing apples to road apples.
>>
>> riposte, remise, touche.
>
>Are you actually a fencer, or do you just know those terms? I find fencing a good cross-training
>sport for the legs. It actually started out the other way around (cycling as cross-training for
>fencing), but it has turned into fencing as cross-training for cycling.

A brief bout of it, one summer; enough to learn how to handle myself with a foil, but nowhere near
competent.

I'd start it up again, but cycling's cheaper.

(of course running's cheapest of all, but cycling wins on the cheap/fun index)

-Luigi