Mario gets speedingticket

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Ronald, Feb 20, 2003.

  1. Ronald

    Ronald Guest

    No, not in a car....Earlier this week Mario Cipollini got a speedingticket while training behind a
    car on the highway. Mario was riding at the respectable speed of 90 km/h and got fined 63 euros. Now
    there's a ticket i would be very happy to pay.

    From Dutch teletekst: http://teletekst.nos.nl/gif/401-01.html

    Tags:

  2. Gary German

    Gary German Guest

    "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > No, not in a car....Earlier this week Mario Cipollini got a speedingticket
    while training behind a car on the highway. Mario was
    > riding at the respectable speed of 90 km/h and got fined 63 euros. Now there's a ticket i would be
    > very happy to pay.
    >
    > From Dutch teletekst: http://teletekst.nos.nl/gif/401-01.html

    Wouldn't it be cool to get a ticket like that?! I'd frame it, and hang it on the wall next to
    the bikes.

    GG

  3. I did that one time when I was a teen. I put a huge chainring on the front, got on highway 99
    [mostly freeway] and drafted a car at 55 mph for a while just to see what it was like. Incredibly
    dangerous and and stupid. I got off before the highway patrol caught me. I was getting the oddest
    looks from everyone. It was fun, especially the pull of those big trucks that go by. Actually I did
    even a bolder thing one time when I tied a rope on my bike and had a friend pull my roadbike behind
    his motorbike at 80 mph. Front wheel was all over the place, thought I was going to crash and die
    for sure. Teen years, bored looking for fun. What can I say?

    Bruce
    ------------
    "Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > No, not in a car....Earlier this week Mario Cipollini got a speedingticket
    while training behind a car on the highway. Mario was
    > riding at the respectable speed of 90 km/h and got fined 63 euros. Now there's a ticket i would be
    > very happy to pay.
    >
    > From Dutch teletekst: http://teletekst.nos.nl/gif/401-01.html

  4. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I did that one time when I was a teen. I put a huge chainring on the front, got on highway 99
    > [mostly freeway] and drafted a car at 55 mph for a while just to see what it was like. Incredibly
    > dangerous and and stupid. I got off before the highway patrol caught me. I was getting the oddest
    > looks from everyone. It was fun, especially the pull of those big trucks that go by. Actually I
    > did even a bolder thing one time when I tied a rope on my bike and had a friend pull my roadbike
    > behind his motorbike at 80 mph. Front wheel was all over the place, thought I was going to crash
    > and die for sure. Teen years, bored looking for fun. What can I say?
    >
    > Bruce

    Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I swung out around to pass a
    Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window watching me, I blew by the van and then
    was promptly pulled over for doing 62mph by a P.V. sherriff. Top speed for me is downhill from the
    Tram Station in Palm Springs, I believe it has an elevation gain of 2500 feet in a little less than
    4 miles, I went 72mph on my Motta SLX frame. Dave

  5. "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I did that one time when I was a teen. I put a huge chainring on the
    front,
    > > got on highway 99 [mostly freeway] and drafted a car at 55 mph for a
    while
    > > just to see what it was like. Incredibly dangerous and and stupid. I got
    off
    > > before the highway patrol caught me. I was getting the oddest looks from everyone. It was fun,
    > > especially the pull of those big trucks that go
    by.
    > > Actually I did even a bolder thing one time when I tied a rope on my
    bike
    > > and had a friend pull my roadbike behind his motorbike at 80 mph. Front wheel was all over the
    > > place, thought I was going to crash and die for
    sure.
    > > Teen years, bored looking for fun. What can I say?
    > >
    > > Bruce
    >
    > Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I swung
    out around to pass a
    > Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window watching me, I
    blew by the van and then
    > was promptly pulled over for doing 62mph by a P.V. sherriff. Top speed for
    me is downhill from the
    > Tram Station in Palm Springs, I believe it has an elevation gain of 2500
    feet in a little less than
    > 4 miles, I went 72mph on my Motta SLX frame. Dave

    -----------------------------
    I always wanted to go down there and get on that tram since my friend told me about it. He moved
    from here to Palm Springs to take a job as a fitness instructor. In the back of my mind I was
    thinking that might be a fun climb for the roadbike. I climbed [Priests Grade] here several times,
    goes up 2000 feet in two [2] miles. Yes it's a pain. Nice payment, gutsy climb. It's not straight
    going down, curvy, so you die if you think you want to give it hell going down it. Ambulances haul
    people away nearly everyday from cars that went over the cliff or brakes failed.

    Scary!

    Bruce

  6. "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > I did that one time when I was a teen. I put a huge chainring on the
    front,
    > > got on highway 99 [mostly freeway] and drafted a car at 55 mph for a
    while
    > > just to see what it was like. Incredibly dangerous and and stupid. I got
    off
    > > before the highway patrol caught me. I was getting the oddest looks from everyone. It was fun,
    > > especially the pull of those big trucks that go
    by.
    > > Actually I did even a bolder thing one time when I tied a rope on my
    bike
    > > and had a friend pull my roadbike behind his motorbike at 80 mph. Front wheel was all over the
    > > place, thought I was going to crash and die for
    sure.
    > > Teen years, bored looking for fun. What can I say?
    > >
    > > Bruce
    >
    > Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I swung
    out around to pass a
    > Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window watching me, I
    blew by the van and then
    > was promptly pulled over for doing 62mph by a P.V. sherriff. Top speed for
    me is downhill from the
    > Tram Station in Palm Springs, I believe it has an elevation gain of 2500
    feet in a little less than
    > 4 miles, I went 72mph on my Motta SLX frame. Dave
    ------------------------------------
    A word on the kids faces plastered on the cars winshield.

    It has always amazed me out riding in the Sierras just how supportive and inspiring kids are. I
    couldn't count how many times I was out on a big climb in the sierras to be passed by a carload of
    kids giving me the thumbs up. They seems so totally transfixed, yes, [faces plastered to the
    windshield] kind of lifts your spirits if you are dead on the bike and still need to do a few
    climbs to get home. I remember one time I was going up Sonora Pass, long ways from home for me,
    tired and no thought of where I would spend the night. I was at about 8000 ft. climbing, dead in
    the saddle, when a carload of kids came by and gave me the thumbs up. I will never forget that. I
    should of took a picture of it. Six kids plastered to the rear window of the station wagon giving
    me the thumbs up. Count um, 6 thumbs in a row. That made my day. I made it to a cabin and spend the
    night. Kids seem so fascinated with cyclists, especially in the mountains. They think that is the
    coolest thing in the world!

    And rightly so!

    Bruce

  7. On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Ronald wrote:
    > No, not in a car....Earlier this week Mario Cipollini got a speedingticket while training behind a
    > car on the highway. Mario was riding at the respectable speed of 90 km/h and got fined 63 euros.
    > Now there's a ticket i would be very happy to pay.

    Wrong. He was riding on Superstrada Firenze-Pisa-Livorno where no bikes are allowed. The speed limit
    there is 90 km/h and it is usually exceeded with the consent of the Police. He was escorted out of
    the Superstrada only because he should no have been there.

    Myself, for other purposes in fact, I have ridden on Superstrada Siena-Firenze and on the Autostrada
    down into Splugen, CH. Luckily I was not caught!

    Sergio Pisa

  8. Mike Owens

    Mike Owens Guest

    "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I did that one time when I was a teen. I put a huge chainring on the
    > front,
    > > > got on highway 99 [mostly freeway] and drafted a car at 55 mph for a
    > while
    > > > just to see what it was like. Incredibly dangerous and and stupid. I
    got
    > off
    > > > before the highway patrol caught me. I was getting the oddest looks
    from
    > > > everyone. It was fun, especially the pull of those big trucks that go
    > by.
    > > > Actually I did even a bolder thing one time when I tied a rope on my
    > bike
    > > > and had a friend pull my roadbike behind his motorbike at 80 mph.
    Front
    > > > wheel was all over the place, thought I was going to crash and die for
    > sure.
    > > > Teen years, bored looking for fun. What can I say?
    > > >
    > > > Bruce
    > >
    > > Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I
    swung
    > out around to pass a
    > > Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window watching me,
    > blew by the van and then
    > > was promptly pulled over for doing 62mph by a P.V. sherriff. Top speed
    for
    > me is downhill from the
    > > Tram Station in Palm Springs, I believe it has an elevation gain of 2500
    > feet in a little less than
    > > 4 miles, I went 72mph on my Motta SLX frame. Dave
    >
    > -----------------------------
    > I always wanted to go down there and get on that tram since my friend told me about it. He moved
    > from here to Palm Springs to take a job as a fitness instructor. In the back of my mind I was
    > thinking that might be a fun
    climb
    > for the roadbike. I climbed [Priests Grade] here several times, goes up
    2000
    > feet in two [2] miles.

    2 miles at 19%. I don't believe it. -Mike

  9. I go by there now and again. Next time i go by there I will take a picture with my digital camera of
    the grade percentage sign and post it. When you climb that your front wheel wants to keep popping
    off the pavement, and it's hard to keep the bike upright. You go anaerobic and if you can finish the
    short two mile climb you are pretty wasted. As least for a while, recover and move on. An incredibly
    dangerous road for tourists.

    Bruce
    -------------------------
    "Mike Owens" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > front,
    > > while
    > got
    > > off
    > from
    > > by.
    > > bike
    > Front
    > > sure.

    > > > Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I
    > swung
    > > out around to pass a
    > > > Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window watching
    me,
    > > blew by the van and then
    > > > was promptly pulled over for doing 62mph by a P.V. sherriff. Top speed
    > for
    > > me is downhill from the
    > > > Tram Station in Palm Springs, I believe it has an elevation gain of
    2500
    > > feet in a little less than
    > > > 4 miles, I went 72mph on my Motta SLX frame. Dave
    > >
    > > -----------------------------
    > > I always wanted to go down there and get on that tram since my friend
    told
    > > me about it. He moved from here to Palm Springs to take a job as a
    fitness
    > > instructor. In the back of my mind I was thinking that might be a fun
    > climb
    > > for the roadbike. I climbed [Priests Grade] here several times, goes up
    > 2000
    > > feet in two [2] miles.
    >
    > 2 miles at 19%. I don't believe it. -Mike

  10. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Mike Owens" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > front,
    > > while
    > got
    > > off
    > from
    > > by.
    > > bike
    > Front
    > > sure.

    > > > Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I
    > swung
    > > out around to pass a
    > > > Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window watching
    me,
    > > blew by the van and then
    > > > was promptly pulled over for doing 62mph by a P.V. sherriff. Top speed
    > for
    > > me is downhill from the
    > > > Tram Station in Palm Springs, I believe it has an elevation gain of
    2500
    > > feet in a little less than
    > > > 4 miles, I went 72mph on my Motta SLX frame. Dave
    > >
    > > -----------------------------
    > > I always wanted to go down there and get on that tram since my friend
    told
    > > me about it. He moved from here to Palm Springs to take a job as a
    fitness
    > > instructor. In the back of my mind I was thinking that might be a fun
    > climb
    > > for the roadbike. I climbed [Priests Grade] here several times, goes up
    > 2000
    > > feet in two [2] miles.
    >
    > 2 miles at 19%. I don't believe it.

    I've been down Priests Grade and the aforementioned Palm Spring tram descent.

    BELIEVE IT. Awesome stuff.

    Looking for speed in the Napa Valley? Then descend Oakville Grade to hwy 29 for 60+ mph.

    -Ken

  11. "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote :
    > Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I swung
    out around to
    > pass a Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window
    watching me, I blew
    > by the van

    Okay I guess I'll add mine: doing 72kph down a hill in Gatineau Park, caught and had to sit up and
    put on the brakes behind a toyota pickup with 8 kids in the back (highly illegal, but they were
    probably just headed to Meech beach), then proceeded to draft them up the next couple of hills @
    60kph (the speed limit), all the time they're shouting and cheering.

    Of course they were French (Canadian) which partly explains the extra respect for a roadie...
    --
    Dominic Richens | [email protected] "I have seen the future, and it is just like the
    present, only longer"

  12. Mike Owens

    Mike Owens Guest

    "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > 2 miles at 19%. I don't believe it.
    >
    > I've been down Priests Grade and the aforementioned Palm Spring tram descent.
    >
    > BELIEVE IT. Awesome stuff.
    >
    > Looking for speed in the Napa Valley? Then descend Oakville Grade to hwy 29 for 60+ mph.
    >
    > -Ken

    Topo USA has Old Priests grade as 2.94 km at 15% average. Not 19% but darn impressive nonetheless. A
    Google search revealed some nice photos from motorcyclists. -Mike

  13. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest

    "Dominic Richens" <dominic..bellglobal.com...
    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote :
    > > Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I
    swung
    > out around to
    > > pass a Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window
    > watching me, I blew
    > > by the van
    >
    > Okay I guess I'll add mine: doing 72kph down a hill in Gatineau Park,
    caught
    > and had to sit up and put on the brakes behind a toyota pickup with 8 kids in the back (highly
    > illegal, but they were probably just headed to Meech beach), then proceeded to draft them up the
    > next couple of hills @ 60kph (the speed limit), all the time they're shouting and cheering.
    >
    > Of course they were French (Canadian) which partly explains the extra respect for a roadie...

    I've always that the Byelorussian kids gave the most props?

    -Ken

  14. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

  15. "Mike Owens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > 2 miles at 19%. I don't believe it.
    > >
    > > I've been down Priests Grade and the aforementioned Palm Spring tram descent.
    > >
    > > BELIEVE IT. Awesome stuff.
    > >
    > > Looking for speed in the Napa Valley? Then descend Oakville Grade to hwy
    29
    > > for 60+ mph.
    > >
    > > -Ken
    >
    > Topo USA has Old Priests grade as 2.94 km at 15% average. Not 19% but darn impressive nonetheless.
    > A Google search revealed some nice photos from motorcyclists. -Mike

    Old Priests grade is uneven. It might be 15% in some spots and as much as 20% in others. It has some
    wicked patches where you have to get off the bike. You would have to see it to believe it. It's
    about 2000 ft. from Moccasin to the top near Groveland. The highway next to it is much smoother. It
    is a amazing site to take the new highway and look off to the right and watch cars go up the Old
    Priests grade. You get the idea real quick!

    Post those links for pics of Old Priests grade if you can.

    Bruce

  16. Ken Papai

    Ken Papai Guest