Mario gets speedingticket

Ronald

Guest
No, not in a car....Earlier this week Mario Cipollini got a speedingticket while training behind a
car on the highway. Mario was riding at the respectable speed of 90 km/h and got fined 63 euros. Now
there's a ticket i would be very happy to pay.

From Dutch teletekst: http://teletekst.nos.nl/gif/401-01.html

"Ronald" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> No, not in a car....Earlier this week Mario Cipollini got a speedingticket
while training behind a car on the highway. Mario was
> riding at the respectable speed of 90 km/h and got fined 63 euros. Now there's a ticket i would be
> very happy to pay.
>
> From Dutch teletekst: http://teletekst.nos.nl/gif/401-01.html

Wouldn't it be cool to get a ticket like that?! I'd frame it, and hang it on the wall next to
the bikes.

GG

I did that one time when I was a teen. I put a huge chainring on the front, got on highway 99
[mostly freeway] and drafted a car at 55 mph for a while just to see what it was like. Incredibly
dangerous and and stupid. I got off before the highway patrol caught me. I was getting the oddest
looks from everyone. It was fun, especially the pull of those big trucks that go by. Actually I did
even a bolder thing one time when I tied a rope on my bike and had a friend pull my roadbike behind
his motorbike at 80 mph. Front wheel was all over the place, thought I was going to crash and die
for sure. Teen years, bored looking for fun. What can I say?

Bruce
------------

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I did that one time when I was a teen. I put a huge chainring on the front, got on highway 99
> [mostly freeway] and drafted a car at 55 mph for a while just to see what it was like. Incredibly
> dangerous and and stupid. I got off before the highway patrol caught me. I was getting the oddest
> looks from everyone. It was fun, especially the pull of those big trucks that go by. Actually I
> did even a bolder thing one time when I tied a rope on my bike and had a friend pull my roadbike
> behind his motorbike at 80 mph. Front wheel was all over the place, thought I was going to crash
> and die for sure. Teen years, bored looking for fun. What can I say?
>
> Bruce

Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I swung out around to pass a
Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window watching me, I blew by the van and then
was promptly pulled over for doing 62mph by a P.V. sherriff. Top speed for me is downhill from the
Tram Station in Palm Springs, I believe it has an elevation gain of 2500 feet in a little less than
4 miles, I went 72mph on my Motta SLX frame. Dave

> "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I did that one time when I was a teen. I put a huge chainring on the
front,
> > got on highway 99 [mostly freeway] and drafted a car at 55 mph for a
while
> > just to see what it was like. Incredibly dangerous and and stupid. I got
off
> > before the highway patrol caught me. I was getting the oddest looks from everyone. It was fun,
> > especially the pull of those big trucks that go
by.
> > Actually I did even a bolder thing one time when I tied a rope on my
bike
> > and had a friend pull my roadbike behind his motorbike at 80 mph. Front wheel was all over the
> > place, thought I was going to crash and die for
sure.
> > Teen years, bored looking for fun. What can I say?
> >
> > Bruce
>
> Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I swung
out around to pass a
> Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window watching me, I
blew by the van and then
> was promptly pulled over for doing 62mph by a P.V. sherriff. Top speed for
me is downhill from the
> Tram Station in Palm Springs, I believe it has an elevation gain of 2500
feet in a little less than
> 4 miles, I went 72mph on my Motta SLX frame. Dave

-----------------------------
I always wanted to go down there and get on that tram since my friend told me about it. He moved
from here to Palm Springs to take a job as a fitness instructor. In the back of my mind I was
thinking that might be a fun climb for the roadbike. I climbed [Priests Grade] here several times,
goes up 2000 feet in two [2] miles. Yes it's a pain. Nice payment, gutsy climb. It's not straight
going down, curvy, so you die if you think you want to give it hell going down it. Ambulances haul
people away nearly everyday from cars that went over the cliff or brakes failed.

Scary!

Bruce

> "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > I did that one time when I was a teen. I put a huge chainring on the
front,
> > got on highway 99 [mostly freeway] and drafted a car at 55 mph for a
while
> > just to see what it was like. Incredibly dangerous and and stupid. I got
off
> > before the highway patrol caught me. I was getting the oddest looks from everyone. It was fun,
> > especially the pull of those big trucks that go
by.
> > Actually I did even a bolder thing one time when I tied a rope on my
bike
> > and had a friend pull my roadbike behind his motorbike at 80 mph. Front wheel was all over the
> > place, thought I was going to crash and die for
sure.
> > Teen years, bored looking for fun. What can I say?
> >
> > Bruce
>
> Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I swung
out around to pass a
> Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window watching me, I
blew by the van and then
> was promptly pulled over for doing 62mph by a P.V. sherriff. Top speed for
me is downhill from the
> Tram Station in Palm Springs, I believe it has an elevation gain of 2500
feet in a little less than
> 4 miles, I went 72mph on my Motta SLX frame. Dave
------------------------------------
A word on the kids faces plastered on the cars winshield.

It has always amazed me out riding in the Sierras just how supportive and inspiring kids are. I
couldn't count how many times I was out on a big climb in the sierras to be passed by a carload of
kids giving me the thumbs up. They seems so totally transfixed, yes, [faces plastered to the
windshield] kind of lifts your spirits if you are dead on the bike and still need to do a few
climbs to get home. I remember one time I was going up Sonora Pass, long ways from home for me,
tired and no thought of where I would spend the night. I was at about 8000 ft. climbing, dead in
the saddle, when a carload of kids came by and gave me the thumbs up. I will never forget that. I
should of took a picture of it. Six kids plastered to the rear window of the station wagon giving
me the thumbs up. Count um, 6 thumbs in a row. That made my day. I made it to a cabin and spend the
night. Kids seem so fascinated with cyclists, especially in the mountains. They think that is the
coolest thing in the world!

And rightly so!

Bruce

On Thu, 20 Feb 2003, Ronald wrote:
> No, not in a car....Earlier this week Mario Cipollini got a speedingticket while training behind a
> car on the highway. Mario was riding at the respectable speed of 90 km/h and got fined 63 euros.
> Now there's a ticket i would be very happy to pay.

Wrong. He was riding on Superstrada Firenze-Pisa-Livorno where no bikes are allowed. The speed limit
there is 90 km/h and it is usually exceeded with the consent of the Police. He was escorted out of
the Superstrada only because he should no have been there.

Myself, for other purposes in fact, I have ridden on Superstrada Siena-Firenze and on the Autostrada
down into Splugen, CH. Luckily I was not caught!

Sergio Pisa

"Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > > I did that one time when I was a teen. I put a huge chainring on the
> front,
> > > got on highway 99 [mostly freeway] and drafted a car at 55 mph for a
> while
> > > just to see what it was like. Incredibly dangerous and and stupid. I
got
> off
> > > before the highway patrol caught me. I was getting the oddest looks
from
> > > everyone. It was fun, especially the pull of those big trucks that go
> by.
> > > Actually I did even a bolder thing one time when I tied a rope on my
> bike
> > > and had a friend pull my roadbike behind his motorbike at 80 mph.
Front
> > > wheel was all over the place, thought I was going to crash and die for
> sure.
> > > Teen years, bored looking for fun. What can I say?
> > >
> > > Bruce
> >
> > Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I
swung
> out around to pass a
> > Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window watching me,
> blew by the van and then
> > was promptly pulled over for doing 62mph by a P.V. sherriff. Top speed
for
> me is downhill from the
> > Tram Station in Palm Springs, I believe it has an elevation gain of 2500
> feet in a little less than
> > 4 miles, I went 72mph on my Motta SLX frame. Dave
>
> -----------------------------
> I always wanted to go down there and get on that tram since my friend told me about it. He moved
> from here to Palm Springs to take a job as a fitness instructor. In the back of my mind I was
> thinking that might be a fun
climb
> for the roadbike. I climbed [Priests Grade] here several times, goes up
2000
> feet in two [2] miles.

2 miles at 19%. I don't believe it. -Mike

I go by there now and again. Next time i go by there I will take a picture with my digital camera of
the grade percentage sign and post it. When you climb that your front wheel wants to keep popping
off the pavement, and it's hard to keep the bike upright. You go anaerobic and if you can finish the
short two mile climb you are pretty wasted. As least for a while, recover and move on. An incredibly
dangerous road for tourists.

Bruce
-------------------------
"Mike Owens" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> [...]

me,
> > blew by the van and then
> > > was promptly pulled over for doing 62mph by a P.V. sherriff. Top speed
> for
> > me is downhill from the
> > > Tram Station in Palm Springs, I believe it has an elevation gain of
2500
> > feet in a little less than
> > > 4 miles, I went 72mph on my Motta SLX frame. Dave
> >
> > -----------------------------
> > I always wanted to go down there and get on that tram since my friend
told
> > me about it. He moved from here to Palm Springs to take a job as a
fitness
> > instructor. In the back of my mind I was thinking that might be a fun
> climb
> > for the roadbike. I climbed [Priests Grade] here several times, goes up

I've been down Priests Grade and the aforementioned Palm Spring tram descent.

BELIEVE IT. Awesome stuff.

Looking for speed in the Napa Valley? Then descend Oakville Grade to hwy 29 for 60+ mph.

-Ken

"Dave" <[email protected]> wrote :
> Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I swung
out around to
> pass a Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window
watching me, I blew
> by the van

Okay I guess I'll add mine: doing 72kph down a hill in Gatineau Park, caught and had to sit up and
put on the brakes behind a toyota pickup with 8 kids in the back (highly illegal, but they were
probably just headed to Meech beach), then proceeded to draft them up the next couple of hills @
60kph (the speed limit), all the time they're shouting and cheering.

Of course they were French (Canadian) which partly explains the extra respect for a roadie...
--
Dominic Richens | [email protected] "I have seen the future, and it is just like the
present, only longer"

"Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > 2 miles at 19%. I don't believe it.
>
> I've been down Priests Grade and the aforementioned Palm Spring tram descent.
>
> BELIEVE IT. Awesome stuff.
>
> Looking for speed in the Napa Valley? Then descend Oakville Grade to hwy 29 for 60+ mph.
>
> -Ken

Topo USA has Old Priests grade as 2.94 km at 15% average. Not 19% but darn impressive nonetheless. A
Google search revealed some nice photos from motorcyclists. -Mike

"Dominic Richens" <dominic..bellglobal.com...
> "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote :
> > Down Crenshaw from the top in Palos Verdes, speed limit is 45mph, I
swung
> out around to
> > pass a Toyota mini van, the kids were face plastered on the window
> watching me, I blew
> > by the van
>
> Okay I guess I'll add mine: doing 72kph down a hill in Gatineau Park,
caught
> and had to sit up and put on the brakes behind a toyota pickup with 8 kids in the back (highly
> illegal, but they were probably just headed to Meech beach), then proceeded to draft them up the
> next couple of hills @ 60kph (the speed limit), all the time they're shouting and cheering.
>
> Of course they were French (Canadian) which partly explains the extra respect for a roadie...

I've always that the Byelorussian kids gave the most props?

-Ken

"Mike Owens" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Ken Papai" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > >
> > > 2 miles at 19%. I don't believe it.
> >
> > I've been down Priests Grade and the aforementioned Palm Spring tram descent.
> >
> > BELIEVE IT. Awesome stuff.
> >
> > Looking for speed in the Napa Valley? Then descend Oakville Grade to hwy
29
> > for 60+ mph.
> >
> > -Ken
>
> Topo USA has Old Priests grade as 2.94 km at 15% average. Not 19% but darn impressive nonetheless.
> A Google search revealed some nice photos from motorcyclists. -Mike

Old Priests grade is uneven. It might be 15% in some spots and as much as 20% in others. It has some
wicked patches where you have to get off the bike. You would have to see it to believe it. It's
about 2000 ft. from Moccasin to the top near Groveland. The highway next to it is much smoother. It
is a amazing site to take the new highway and look off to the right and watch cars go up the Old
Priests grade. You get the idea real quick!

Post those links for pics of Old Priests grade if you can.

Bruce