Mariott Way

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Succorso, Aug 7, 2003.

  1. Succorso

    Succorso Guest

    Hi,

    Anyone here cycled the Mariott Way from Norwich to Reepham? I'm sure there must be... ;)

    My question is - is this a ride suitable for a hybrid/tourer (Falcon Explorer) or is it more "off
    road", like the Peddars Way?

    Was thinking of giving it a go...

    --
    Succorso

    Tags:

  2. >Anyone here cycled the Mariott Way from Norwich to Reepham? I'm sure there must be... ;)

    Vernon has :)

    >or is it more "off road", like the Peddars Way?
    >
    >Was thinking of giving it a go...

    Vernon did it in the Spring, when it had some distinctly wet, muddy and Really Only Suitable For
    Off-Road Bikes [TM] surfaces. The bits I've seen of it the surface isn't tarmaced, it's more a sort
    of compacted gravelly surface.

    I'm sure there's others here with more experience.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~
    h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$**o$l.c$$*o$*m*$ by getting rid of the
    overdependence on money and fame
    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Andrew B

    Andrew B Guest

    I really depends on the weather.

    The Marriott's way is mostly gravel / leaf litter . At present it is bone dry most of the way with
    the odd muddy patch that you can get round. I cycled it last weekend.

    In the winter be prepared for conditions worse than a car park at Silverstone.

    Give it a go & enjoy some lovely food * ale at the Old Brewery.

    Regards,

    Andrew

    "Succorso" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Anyone here cycled the Mariott Way from Norwich to Reepham? I'm sure there must be... ;)
    >
    > My question is - is this a ride suitable for a hybrid/tourer (Falcon Explorer) or is it more "off
    > road", like the Peddars Way?
    >
    > Was thinking of giving it a go...
    >
    > --
    > Succorso

  4. Hiya,

    Done this route a few times. A few slightly muddy bits, but most sections are a kinda fine gravelly
    surface, which is quite well packed down. Can't see a prob during this current heatwave with using a
    hybrid / util bike. As has been pointed out, the odd muddy bit in the lower-lying but nowt to worry
    about. NOT road bike territory however.

    Make it a circular route. Carry on past Reepham to Aylsham, then cross the road & follow the Bure
    Valley Cycleway (next to the wee steam train track) - similiar surface to Marriot's Way. 9 miles &
    you're at Wroxham / Hoveton. Then take the back roads from there via Salhouse - numerous nice quiet
    backroad options most of the way back to Norwich. Mail if you want further info - I ride round this
    way all the time & have done almost every quiet road round that way.

    Have a great ride.

    PS: watch out for dog-walkers / dog-sh!t on the Marriot's Way.