Market research question...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jon Bond, May 26, 2003.

  1. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    My DH bud has been building some relationships with some pro riders (Aaron Chase, Jeff Lenosky, and
    Lars Tibrus to name a few). We got to thinking - a clinic would make a GREAT fundraiser!

    There was a similar thing done for vietnam fundraising earlier in the year, but with a
    not-so-well-known rider. They took applications for riders, accepted 15-20 people, and charged $100
    for a "day" of riding, although it was pretty much all held on jumps and stuff in somebody's field
    or backyard.

    Now, I know they filled that up and made 1500 for vietnam (the rider donated his time). We'd like to
    make a little more, partially because we'd probably have to pay the rider and maybe pay for
    transportation and housing.

    So, especially you freeriders or those of you interested in trials, how much would you pay for a
    half day of riding, clinic style, with one of these guys? I figure we can do a lot of it in Lynn
    woods, seems to be the perfect place for that type of riding. We might run two sessions, so there
    would be 40-50 riders, 20-25 per group.

    This is still WAY up in the air, so I'm not giving anybody dibs ;)

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My DH bud has been building some relationships with some pro riders (Aaron Chase, Jeff Lenosky,
    > and Lars Tibrus to name a few). We got to thinking -
    > clinic would make a GREAT fundraiser!
    >
    > There was a similar thing done for vietnam fundraising earlier in the
    year,
    > but with a not-so-well-known rider. They took applications for riders, accepted 15-20 people, and
    > charged $100 for a "day" of riding, although it was pretty much all held on jumps and stuff in
    > somebody's field or
    backyard.

    > Now, I know they filled that up and made 1500 for vietnam (the rider
    donated
    > his time). We'd like to make a little more, partially because we'd
    probably
    > have to pay the rider and maybe pay for transportation and housing.
    >
    > So, especially you freeriders or those of you interested in trials, how
    much
    > would you pay for a half day of riding, clinic style, with one of these guys? I figure we can do a
    > lot of it in Lynn woods, seems to be the
    perfect
    > place for that type of riding. We might run two sessions, so there would
    be
    > 40-50 riders, 20-25 per group.
    >
    > This is still WAY up in the air, so I'm not giving anybody dibs ;)
    >
    > Jon Bond

    I'm currently signed up for a Shaums March Freeride Camp weekend at Snowshoe for $250. Unfortunately
    there aren't enough riders signed up to support the camp and it will probably be cancelled. :^(

    Mike

  3. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > My DH bud has been building some relationships with some pro riders (Aaron Chase, Jeff Lenosky,
    > and Lars Tibrus to name a few). We got to thinking -
    > clinic would make a GREAT fundraiser!
    >
    > There was a similar thing done for vietnam fundraising earlier in the
    year,
    > but with a not-so-well-known rider. They took applications for riders, accepted 15-20 people, and
    > charged $100 for a "day" of riding, although it was pretty much all held on jumps and stuff in
    > somebody's field or
    backyard.

    > Now, I know they filled that up and made 1500 for vietnam (the rider
    donated
    > his time). We'd like to make a little more, partially because we'd
    probably
    > have to pay the rider and maybe pay for transportation and housing.
    >
    > So, especially you freeriders or those of you interested in trials, how
    much
    > would you pay for a half day of riding, clinic style, with one of these guys? I figure we can do a
    > lot of it in Lynn woods, seems to be the
    perfect
    > place for that type of riding. We might run two sessions, so there would
    be
    > 40-50 riders, 20-25 per group.
    >
    > This is still WAY up in the air, so I'm not giving anybody dibs ;)
    >
    > Jon Bond

    $50-$100 to spend some time and get tips from the pros sounds reasonable. Hell, I would even show up
    if Jeff, Lance Trappe and Chris Clark made appearances.

    Keep me updated on how it goes.

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  4. Tom Walker

    Tom Walker Guest

    "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > My DH bud has been building some relationships with some pro riders (Aaron Chase, Jeff Lenosky,
    > and Lars Tibrus to name a few). We got to thinking - a clinic would make a GREAT fundraiser!
    >
    > There was a similar thing done for vietnam fundraising earlier in the year, but with a
    > not-so-well-known rider. They took applications for riders, accepted 15-20 people, and charged
    > $100 for a "day" of riding, although it was pretty much all held on jumps and stuff in somebody's
    > field or backyard.
    >
    > Now, I know they filled that up and made 1500 for vietnam (the rider donated his time). We'd like
    > to make a little more, partially because we'd probably have to pay the rider and maybe pay for
    > transportation and housing.
    >
    > So, especially you freeriders or those of you interested in trials, how much would you pay for a
    > half day of riding, clinic style, with one of these guys? I figure we can do a lot of it in Lynn
    > woods, seems to be the perfect place for that type of riding. We might run two sessions, so there
    > would be 40-50 riders, 20-25 per group.
    >
    > This is still WAY up in the air, so I'm not giving anybody dibs ;)
    >
    > Jon Bond

    What would you be raising funds for, Jon? $100 a head for the fundraiser to buy 'Nam (a local riding
    area in the Boston area for you non-New Englanders) is one thing but I think a lot of reason people
    paid that was they believed in the cause. Its likely a lot of them would have paid that, or close to
    it, without the clinic. To get them to pay big bucks for something else may be a tough sell.

    Also 20-25 riders is a HUGE group. Lynn is not so huge as to easily accomodate all those people
    within sight of each other. You'd have some folks riding with the instructor and some who
    wouldn't see him all day. My guess is that this is the reason it was done in someone's yard with
    home made stunts.

    If you want more people involved, think about having a few shorts sessions. In other words, pay X
    for a 3 hour lesson with Y in a group of 10. Do that 3 or four times over the weekend or day. The
    amount people will pay will go down with the increase in class size.

    Another thing to think about is a 2-3 hour lesson in a controled area with stunts like the ball
    field at Lynn Wodds. Bring in the stunts (you'll need permission from the ranger), teach the riders
    some new moves on the stunts, then take them on a ride through the Lynn Trails to test out their new
    skills. If you get two pros you could easily rotate two classes in a day.

    my $.02

    Tom