Marking an inner tube for repair

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Joe Riel, Aug 25, 2004.

  1. Joe Riel

    Joe Riel Guest

    Occasionally---today, for instance---I need to patch an inner tube
    with a very small hole, too small to see with the naked eye. To
    locate the hole I dunk the tube in water. I then need to mark the
    location of the hole. I've never found a really good way to do
    this---the ink from a typical pen is hard to see on the black of the
    tube and the pen doesn't work well when writing on a wet surface.
    Pencils don't work any better.

    Has anyone found a good method for marking the location of hole
    in an inner tube?

    Joe

    Tags:

  2. Ted

    Ted Guest

    > Occasionally---today, for instance---I need to patch an inner tube
    > with a very small hole, too small to see with the naked eye. To
    > locate the hole I dunk the tube in water. I then need to mark the
    > location of the hole. I've never found a really good way to do
    > this---the ink from a typical pen is hard to see on the black of the
    > tube and the pen doesn't work well when writing on a wet surface.
    > Pencils don't work any better.
    >
    > Has anyone found a good method for marking the location of hole
    > in an inner tube?
    >
    > Joe

    Chalk.

  3. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:16:34 GMT, Joe Riel <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Has anyone found a good method for marking the location of hole
    >in an inner tube?

    Tire crayons, available at just about any auto parts store.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  4. Weisse Luft

    Weisse Luft New Member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2004
    Messages:
    1,306
    Use a needle to mark the hole under water. If your visibility is good, you can plug the hole with the pin.

    Once dry, mark with crayon using cross hair type marks, well away from the preparation area.

    I found blue ballpoint pens also work well if you look from a grazing angle.

  5. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:16:34 GMT, Joe Riel <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Has anyone found a good method for marking the location of hole
    >in an inner tube?

    Stick the tip of a toothpick into the hole. Keep it there when you
    sand the tube and apply glue. Remove it just as you put the patch on.

  6. Paulmouk

    Paulmouk Guest

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 16:16:34 GMT, Joe Riel <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Has anyone found a good method for marking the location of hole
    > >in an inner tube?

    > Stick the tip of a toothpick into the hole. Keep it there when you
    > sand the tube and apply glue. Remove it just as you put the patch on.

    Someone recently recommended (on uk.rec.cycling) one end of a paperclip
    pushed into the hole.
    Works brilliantly. I've been having hell with marking tubes for forty years
    but this is just so easy.

    Paul

  7. Joe Riel wrote in message <[email protected]>...
    >Occasionally---today, for instance---I need to patch an inner tube
    >with a very small hole, too small to see with the naked eye. To
    >locate the hole I dunk the tube in water. I then need to mark the
    >location of the hole. I've never found a really good way to do
    >this---the ink from a typical pen is hard to see on the black of the
    >tube and the pen doesn't work well when writing on a wet surface.
    >Pencils don't work any better.
    >
    >Has anyone found a good method for marking the location of hole
    >in an inner tube?

    Blue biro on butyl comes out red. Or use latex tube.

    Trevor

  8. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Weisse Luft <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Use a needle to mark the hole under water. If your visibility is good,
    > you can plug the hole with the pin.
    >
    > Once dry, mark with crayon using cross hair type marks, well away from
    > the preparation area.
    >
    > I found blue ballpoint pens also work well if you look from a grazing
    > angle.

    Me too- either ballpoint or Sharpie markers are visible in all but the
    lowest-light conditions. I usually make a really big "X" so I have
    some assurance of centering the patch on the hole.

    Jeff

  9. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Joe Riel wrote:
    > Has anyone found a good method for marking the location of hole
    > in an inner tube?

    I used to use crayon or even Tippex correcting fluid but don't bother to
    mark at all any more. Sand straight away and that basically marks the
    area; hole itself should be visable if you look close enough and stretch
    the tube. If you loose the puncture, inflate, hold up to lips and feel
    for the breeze.

    Finally, so you know where to center the patch, apply cement while there's
    still some air in the tube. The resulting bubbles dry to a white spot.

    ~PB

  10. TBGibb

    TBGibb Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Paul Kopit
    <[email protected]> writes:

    >>Has anyone found a good method for marking the location of hole
    >>in an inner tube?

    Stick a blade of some sort into the hole making it bigger. If you are feeling
    sleepy do this while the tube is under water :)

    Tom Gibb <[email protected]>