Markleeville Death Ride documentary

Jerry Feldmille

Aug 11, 2010
Hello group,
I am doing a 30th anniversary documentary on the Tour of the California Alps - Death Ride. This ride was spawned from the Super Tours back in the early 70's. I am looking for old articles and pictures about the Super Tours that can be used in this production. I have some old Death Ride pictures from Wayne Martin but nothing on any of the Super Tours. Any help would be appreciated.
Incredible Journey Video Production - 30th Anniversary Death Ride® Video

Thanks,
Jerry
Incredible Journey - Video Production

Couldn't help you with pictures 'n stuff of the 'fun' ride. I wonder if Wayne Martin still lives in Markleeville. Wasn't he the guy that came up with the "Der Grosse Totenmarsch nach Markleeville" (The Great Markleeville Death March) name for one of the stages of 76 SuperTour.

Jobst Brandt has posted some good stuff on the history of the ride on some forums and might be easier to track down than Wayne. How about contacting UC Davis to see if you could get ahold of sociology Prof. John Scott. He may have retired but there may be folks who could help you get in touch.

I didn't realize until today that the early versions of the ride took in five different passes and is reminiscent of the Alta Alpina Challenge route. Can't imagine 2,800 cyclists heading across the flatlands to get to Kingsbury early in the morning though... That'd be a sight.

Thanks Swampy. I have interviewed Wayne and got all this pictures and info. He lives in Bishop Cailfornia now. I'll check the Prof. Scott angle. Thank you!

Bishop aye? Moved from the home of one big ride to another. I wonder if he had anything to do with the Everest challenge?

Besides... I thought the documentary was supposed to have shipped already :p

swampy1970 said:
Bishop aye? Moved from the home of one big ride to another. I wonder if he had anything to do with the Everest challenge?

Besides... I thought the documentary was supposed to have shipped already :p
Doing final editing this weekend. We were hoping to have a few Super Tour pictures, but that's ok. Wayne cira 1978 Death Ride pictures are classic. Plan to begin DVD duplication soon.