Marlin, Yukon, or Rockhopper?

korndawg

Apr 10, 2004
Hello y'all! This is my first post here and I need some advice on my first mountain bike purchase in which I will make here in a few days. I've narrowed it down to 3 bikes, the Giant Yukon, Specialized Rockhopper, and Fisher Malin - all 2004 models. At my local LBS, they all run $429. The main use for the bike will be road/trail riding. It won't be a hardcore trail rider, it'll be mostly just XC. I'm looking for the bike that offers the best quality for the price. I've rode all but the Specialized but will be riding that here soon. I've read good reviews on all of them. The Yukon with discs is great but I haven't heard too many good things about the Suntour fork. I know MTB Action reviewed the Yukon, but I can't find the magazine anywhere to read about it. What are the plus/minuses with these bikes? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Originally posted by korndawg
Hello y'all! This is my first post here and I need some advice on my first mountain bike purchase in which I will make here in a few days. I've narrowed it down to 3 bikes, the Giant Yukon, Specialized Rockhopper, and Fisher Malin - all 2004 models. At my local LBS, they all run $429. The main use for the bike will be road/trail riding. It won't be a hardcore trail rider, it'll be mostly just XC. I'm looking for the bike that offers the best quality for the price. I've rode all but the Specialized but will be riding that here soon. I've read good reviews on all of them. The Yukon with discs is great but I haven't heard too many good things about the Suntour fork. I know MTB Action reviewed the Yukon, but I can't find the magazine anywhere to read about it. What are the plus/minuses with these bikes? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

All three are great frames - and that's the most important thing because parts can be upgraded. Giant's are known for giving you the most value for your money - but Marin's are getting that reputation as well.

My first MTB was a Rockhopper with a rigid fork!

I'd go with the one that fit the best - assuming they were all equal, I'd get the Yukon :)

I agree, I dont know anything about specialized. I've heard some good stuff about Fisher. But I'd say get the Yukon, what you might try, if this is a bike shop thats not a major corporation, such as a small personal shop, walk in with enough cash for the yukon, but offer it for the Iguana, it'll get you better parts, and they might take it, hey it cant hurt.

Would you say the components on all 3 bikes are the same or is some on one bike better than the rest? I am a newbie to this so I'm not sure what components are better than others. Thanks!!

I got the yukon and I love it. The external preload on the suntour makes plushing up your fork a snap. And the hayes mechanical discs are better than the more expensive Avids. The Yukon frame is built just like last years XTC frame and is strong. MBA loved the bike and I used it as a basis to buy it. They rode it on the same test course that they did with 5 times more expensive bikes with drops, jumps and of-camber turns and it was great.

and giant has the best warrenty in the business you snap the frame , and you might get a 2003 XTC frame!