Marmalade, butter and cycling

danny shep

Jun 20, 2007
I recently saw the film about the Scottish track Cyclist Graham Obree and as one of the staples of his daily food intake was marmalade I thought I would give it a try too. He claimed that it kept him going all day and as I struggled towards the end of the most recent club run I joined (although it did approach a 100 mile round trip once I had made it home) this kind of fuel is something I feel I am in need of.

When choosing which brand to buy I tried to find the marmalade with the highest fruit content and the lowest sugar content. Im not sure if this is what I should have been doing as the decreased sugar content, while obviously healthier, may dilute the positive effects of the conserve on cycling performance.

Anyway yesterday I had a clif bar 2 hours before my ride and a marmalade sandwich about an hour later and felt absolutely great on the bike all the way home. The ride itself was only 15 miles but my muscles and body felt so comfortable that it seemed I could push as hard as I wanted and I wouldn’t even feel it.

Another part of my daily food routine is to eat a peanut butter sandwich three hours after my breakfast which ties in with me trying to eat 25g of protein four times a day at intervals of around three hours. The only thing im worried about is that with eating two sandwiches each day will that be ok healthwise considering the butter I will also be consuming when eating these meals.

Anway just thought I would share this with the rest of the users of this board to see what you think.

Bigbananabike

Dec 29, 2004
The Scotts just eat marmalade - its what they do. Obree is very unlikely to have theorised about it and why it was supposedly 'better' than other food sources:eek:

:) Cool movie - but read the book. He addiction to the bottle and mental illness are far more interesting and only touched on in the movie.

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
danny shep said:
I recently saw the film about the Scottish track Cyclist Graham Obree and as one of the staples of his daily food intake was marmalade.
This reminds me of a story I heard about Lon Haldeman. When the Race Across America was first held, the first two editions were won by Haldeman. For fuel Haldeman would pull into burger joints and get a burger. The other competitors had all sorts of theories about the benefits of fatty, high protein food for endurance cycling, and many tried this themselves. It turned out that Haldeman simply liked burgers.