Marmalade question

Peter Aitken

Guest
We have been squeezing fresh orange juice lately, and every day the peels of
5-6 oranges go in the trash. Could these be used to make marmelade?

--
Peter Aitken

"Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We have been squeezing fresh orange juice lately, and every day the peels
> of 5-6 oranges go in the trash. Could these be used to make marmelade?
>
> --
> Peter Aitken
> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

Yes, the peels are used for orange marmalade. You will also need some
chopped orange. My recipe also uses some chopped lemon. When you make the
marmalade, be sure to follow the directions. When you are told to boil/cook
the unsugared mixture until the peel is tender, do exactly that. Later
cooking will not tenderized the peel because with the sugar added the peel
is becoming preserved. All the recipes are pretty much the same except they
result in different volume. Recipe follows.

You could also use the peels to make candied orange peel that would be
useful in holiday recipes or add the peel to some water along with whole
cloves, cinnamon sticks and star anise. Simmer this mixture all day for a
delightful, humidifying potpourri.

From Ball Blue Book Guide to Home Canning, Freezing and Dehydrating

Orange Marmalade
2 cups thinly sliced orange peel (about 10 medium)
1 quart chopped orange pulp (about 10 medium)
1 cup thinly sliced lemon (NOTE: this is the whole lemon, not just
peel) --about 2 medium lemons
1 1/2 quarts water
Sugar (about 6 cups)

Combine all ingredients, except sugar; simmer 5 minutes. Cover and let
stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place. Cook rapidly until peel is tender,
about 1 hour. Measure fruit and liquid. Add 1 cup sugar for each cup fruit
mixture, stirring until dissolved. Cook rapidly to gelling point. As
mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Remove from heat.
Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot marmalade into hot jars, leaving 1/4 inch
headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water
canner. Yield: about 7 half pints.

Excellent on toasted English muffins.

Janet

Peter Aitken wrote:
> We have been squeezing fresh orange juice lately, and every day the peels of
> 5-6 oranges go in the trash. Could these be used to make marmelade?

Yes... but it really doesn't pay... you can buy a large jar of
stupidmarket brand marmalade for about $2 that will be better than what
you can make from those flavorless generic juice orange rinds. If
you're willing to go through the trouble than choose something
interesting, like tangerine, tangelo, clementine, grapefruit, etc....
save them up in your freezer.

"Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Peter Aitken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> We have been squeezing fresh orange juice lately, and every day the peels
>> of 5-6 oranges go in the trash. Could these be used to make marmelade?
>>
>> --
>> Peter Aitken
>> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

> Yes, the peels are used for orange marmalade. You will also need some
> chopped orange. My recipe also uses some chopped lemon. When you make
> the marmalade, be sure to follow the directions. When you are told to
> boil/cook the unsugared mixture until the peel is tender, do exactly that.
> Later cooking will not tenderized the peel because with the sugar added
> the peel is becoming preserved. All the recipes are pretty much the same
> except they result in different volume. Recipe follows.
>
> You could also use the peels to make candied orange peel that would be
> useful in holiday recipes or add the peel to some water along with whole
> cloves, cinnamon sticks and star anise. Simmer this mixture all day for a
> delightful, humidifying potpourri.
>
> From Ball Blue Book Guide to Home Canning, Freezing and Dehydrating
>
> Orange Marmalade
> 2 cups thinly sliced orange peel (about 10 medium)
> 1 quart chopped orange pulp (about 10 medium)
> 1 cup thinly sliced lemon (NOTE: this is the whole lemon, not just
> peel) --about 2 medium lemons
> 1 1/2 quarts water
> Sugar (about 6 cups)
>
> Combine all ingredients, except sugar; simmer 5 minutes. Cover and let
> stand 12 to 18 hours in a cool place. Cook rapidly until peel is tender,
> about 1 hour. Measure fruit and liquid. Add 1 cup sugar for each cup
> fruit mixture, stirring until dissolved. Cook rapidly to gelling point.
> As mixture thickens, stir frequently to prevent sticking. Remove from
> heat. Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot marmalade into hot jars, leaving
> 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a
> boiling-water canner. Yield: about 7 half pints.
>
> Excellent on toasted English muffins.
>
> Janet

Thanks!

--
Peter Aitken

"Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in news:11uro1r8765ju13
@corp.supernews.com:

> From Ball Blue Book Guide to Home Canning, Freezing and Dehydrating
>
> Orange Marmalade

Has anyone got one that uses only fruit juice, no sugar?

Also, any sources for bitter oranges?

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara

Peter Aitken wrote:

> We have been squeezing fresh orange juice lately, and every day the peels of
> 5-6 oranges go in the trash. Could these be used to make marmelade?

I imagine so. I only make marmalade with Seville oranges. The recipe calls for
the shredded peels and juice, but there is not much juice in the Seville oranges
we get here, and the juice you do get from them is pretty wretched stuff that
you would never want to drink.

Why not make a small batch and see. Just slice up the peel, add some regular
orange juice, cover with water and simmer it until you get can squish the peels
with your fingers. Then mix the mash with equal parts of sugar and boil it down
it starts to thicken. Use an inverted bowl to test the consistency.

Michel Boucher wrote:

> > Orange Marmalade

> Has anyone got one that uses only fruit juice, no sugar?
>
> Also, any sources for bitter oranges?

Marmalade with bitter oranges and no sugar. You are a brave man Michel.
I have not noticed any Seville oranges in the stores lately. They are
usually out by this time. Maybe they came and went. If you intend to
make Seville marmalade you need to start looking for the fruit in
January. From my experience, they are rarely available for more than two
weeks.

There is a local company that makes james without added sugar, but they
use sweet fruits. I just can't imagine bitter marmalade without the
sugar.

On Sat 11 Feb 2006 07:41:51a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michel
Boucher?

> "Janet Bostwick" <[email protected]> wrote in news:11uro1r8765ju13
> @corp.supernews.com:
>
>> From Ball Blue Book Guide to Home Canning, Freezing and Dehydrating
>>
>> Orange Marmalade

> Has anyone got one that uses only fruit juice, no sugar?

I have seen a few recipes that use white grape juice and ornage juice for
sweetness, but they also required something for a thickener like gelatin or
tapioca. I wasn't inclined to try it.

> Also, any sources for bitter oranges?

Bitter or sour oranges are grown here in AZ as ornamental trees/fruit and
are usually free for the asking if you don't have your own tree. I have
only occasionally seen Seville oranges for sale in the market. This is the
season for them, however.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Bitter or sour oranges are grown here in AZ as ornamental
> trees/fruit and are usually free for the asking if you don't have
> your own tree.

Same thing in Andalucia. In fact, they find it odd that the British
want these oranges as they are considered inedible. Even the birds
won't eat them.

Mad dogs and Englishmen, eh?

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara

Dave Smith <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Michel Boucher wrote:
>
>> > Orange Marmalade

>> Has anyone got one that uses only fruit juice, no sugar?
>>
>> Also, any sources for bitter oranges?

> Marmalade with bitter oranges and no sugar. You are a brave man
> Michel. I have not noticed any Seville oranges in the stores
> lately. They are usually out by this time. Maybe they came and
> went. If you intend to make Seville marmalade you need to start
> looking for the fruit in January. From my experience, they are
> rarely available for more than two weeks.
>
> There is a local company that makes james without added sugar, but
> they use sweet fruits. I just can't imagine bitter marmalade
> without the sugar.

Actually, those were two separate questions :) I wasn't planning on
making marmalade with Seville oranges without sugar, although I would
probably use fructose instead.

I'll ask at the fruit market next time I'm downtown.

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara

On Sat 11 Feb 2006 09:08:38a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michel
Boucher?

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
>> Bitter or sour oranges are grown here in AZ as ornamental
>> trees/fruit and are usually free for the asking if you don't have your
>> own tree.

> Same thing in Andalucia. In fact, they find it odd that the British
> want these oranges as they are considered inedible. Even the birds
> won't eat them.
>
> Mad dogs and Englishmen, eh?

Must be so. :)

I like cooking with these oranges. Also, not sugar or fat free, but their
juice and grated rind substituted in a recipe for lemon meringue pie is
delightful. Also good for cooking with meats.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

"Janet Bostwick"&Peter Aitken"
>> We have been squeezing fresh orange juice lately, and every day the peels
>> of 5-6 oranges go in the trash. Could these be used to make marmelade?
>>
>> --
>> Peter Aitken
>> Visit my recipe and kitchen myths page at www.pgacon.com/cooking.htm

> Yes, the peels are used for orange marmalade. You will also need some
> chopped orange. My recipe also uses some chopped lemon. When you make
> the marmalade, be sure to follow the directions. When you are told to
> boil/cook the unsugared mixture until the peel is tender, do exactly that.
> Later cooking will not tenderized the peel because with the sugar added
> the peel is becoming preserved. All the recipes are pretty much the same
> except they result in different volume. Recipe follows.
>
> You could also use the peels to make candied orange peel that would be
> useful in holiday recipes or add the peel to some water along with whole
> cloves, cinnamon sticks and star anise. Simmer this mixture all day for a
> delightful, humidifying potpourri.
>
> From Ball Blue Book Guide to Home Canning, Freezing and Dehydrating

<snipping great recipe>
Janet
> ====

....and if nothing else, it's great to grind up in your sink disposal! Makes
the disposal and your kitchen smell lovely!

--
Syssi

"Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat 11 Feb 2006 09:08:38a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Michel
> Boucher?
>
>> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
>> news:[email protected]:
>>
>>> Bitter or sour oranges are grown here in AZ as ornamental
>>> trees/fruit and are usually free for the asking if you don't have
>>> your
>>> own tree.

>> Same thing in Andalucia. In fact, they find it odd that the British
>> want these oranges as they are considered inedible. Even the birds
>> won't eat them.
>>
>> Mad dogs and Englishmen, eh?
>>

> Must be so. :)

Oi!

Peter Aitken wrote:
> We have been squeezing fresh orange juice lately, and every day the peels of
> 5-6 oranges go in the trash. Could these be used to make marmelade?

Not really. It only takes a few oranges to make a lot of marmalade, and
you need the whole orange, not just the peel.

Cut into strips, candy them, and dip them in chocolate.

Best regards,
Bob

Tangerine Marmalade

I simmered 2 pounds of "Honey" tangerines and 2 largish lemons in 6 cups
of water, covered, for a couple of hours, then let it cool enough to
handle. I cut the cooked fruit in half and scooped out the pulp and put
it back in the cooking water. I set the peels aside for later. I
simmered the pulp and seeds for about a half an hour, mashing
occasionally with a potato smasher. Then I strained the juice out of the
pulp with a jelly bag, squeezing it as dry as possible. I sliced the
cooked tangerine peel in to slivers and added them to the strained juice
in a big but shallow stock pot. Brought it to a boil, added 8 cups of
sugar, and cooked and stirred until the sugar was dissolved. I tasted
it, and it wasn't **** enough so I added 1/2 cup of bottled lemon juice
("Honey" tangerines are not very sour at all.) The lemon juice helped a
lot, but I think it would have been better with just 1/4 cup, or maybe
1/3. I cooked it until 222 degrees on a candy thermometer, let it cool
to about 200 degrees, and ladled into 8 half-pint jars, and a little dab
left over. BWB for 10 minutes. All the peel floated to the top of the
jars during processing, so I shook them and turned them upside down
after they went "ping".

Notes: blue ribbon, Olmsted County Fair, 2005

Michel Boucher wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Bitter or sour oranges are grown here in AZ as ornamental
> > trees/fruit and are usually free for the asking if you don't have
> > your own tree.

> Same thing in Andalucia. In fact, they find it odd that the British
> want these oranges as they are considered inedible. Even the birds
> won't eat them.

A few years ago I was looking for Seville oranges and tried a new
grocery store. I asked one of the guys stocking the shelves and he
seemed unsure what I was referring to until he had a brainwave and said
"Oh yeah, those are the really tasty oranges". Obviously this produce
department employee did not know his produce. They are indeed inedible.
But they make great marmalade.

"Michel Boucher" wrote

> Same thing in Andalucia. In fact, they find it odd that the British
> want these oranges as they are considered inedible. Even the birds
> won't eat them.
>
> Mad dogs and Englishmen, eh?

And French Canadians too, right Michel?

Dora

On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 12:37:32 GMT, Peter Aitken wrote:

> We have been squeezing fresh orange juice lately, and every day the peels of
> 5-6 oranges go in the trash. Could these be used to make marmelade?

Yes of course, you could also candy them.

"limey" <[email protected]> wrote in news:456p3uF56ramU1
@individual.net:

> "Michel Boucher" wrote
>>
>> Same thing in Andalucia. In fact, they find it odd that the British
>> want these oranges as they are considered inedible. Even the birds
>> won't eat them.
>>
>> Mad dogs and Englishmen, eh?

> And French Canadians too, right Michel?

Did we have an empire in India? I think not...:)

--

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why
the poor have no food, they call me a communist."

Dom Helder Camara

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

> Has anyone got one that uses only fruit juice, no sugar?

My wife has made grapefruit jelly. It works.

> Also, any sources for bitter oranges?

Seville oranges. I had to plant a couple of trees ... never seen them on sale
anywhere. Lovely marmalade.

-P.