Mars bar syndrome

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by citizen142, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. citizen142

    citizen142 Guest

    I guess I'm stuck in my old cycling ways and will stick to toe clips
    and straps. I needed a new pair of Christophe clips and duly bought
    them at the LBS. On fitting them I thought hang on these just don't
    seem the same as the one's I have on my old hack bike - sure enough on
    examination the clips were made of much thinner metal. Bloody hell how
    mean can you get, the old ones must only weigh grammes but you've got
    to make them of thinner gauge metal to save a few cents (made in
    France).

    I call this the Mars Bar Syndrome - at 62 I can remember when the
    'giant' Mars bar was the standard bar, instead of which we now get the
    ever decreasing bar where eventually the packaging will be heavier
    than the contents!

    Disappears out back yard to imitate Victor Meldrew.

    Tags:

  2. citizen142 wrote:
    > I guess I'm stuck in my old cycling ways and will stick to toe clips
    > and straps. I needed a new pair of Christophe clips and duly bought
    > them at the LBS. On fitting them I thought hang on these just don't
    > seem the same as the one's I have on my old hack bike - sure enough on
    > examination the clips were made of much thinner metal. Bloody hell how
    > mean can you get, the old ones must only weigh grammes but you've got
    > to make them of thinner gauge metal to save a few cents (made in
    > France).

    For flip's sake!

    Just get with the 20th century (Yes, I know, but these things have been
    around for 20 years!) and get some proper pedals! They're not that
    expensive!

  3. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "citizen142" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I guess I'm stuck in my old cycling ways and will stick to toe clips
    > and straps.

    May a middle-aged, apprentice old-fart of a woman suggest a change to one of
    the clipless pedal systems? I was a reluctant convert to clipless but now
    would never willingly go back to toeclips. Clipless are just so much easier
    to get in and out of quickly, getting rid of that need to be able to loosen
    off a strap quickly... Some of these new-fangled, modern, techo-wizardry
    stuff is actually better than the traditional methods :)

    Cheers, helen s

  4. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    citizen142 wrote:

    > I call this the Mars Bar Syndrome - at 62 I can remember when the
    > 'giant' Mars bar was the standard bar, instead of which we now get the
    > ever decreasing bar where eventually the packaging will be heavier
    > than the contents!

    Point of order, m'lud, at 39 my memory is rather the opposite, with
    the standard sized bar increasingly sidelined by ever bigger
    versions as time went by.

    As Helen points out, the main reason to use clipless systems is
    they work better, and are easier to get in and out of too.

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  5. Pinky

    Pinky Guest

    "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "citizen142" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>I guess I'm stuck in my old cycling ways and will stick to toe clips
    >> and straps.

    > May a middle-aged, apprentice old-fart of a woman suggest a change to one
    > of the clipless pedal systems? I was a reluctant convert to clipless but
    > now would never willingly go back to toeclips. Clipless are just so much
    > easier to get in and out of quickly, getting rid of that need to be able
    > to loosen off a strap quickly... Some of these new-fangled, modern,
    > techo-wizardry stuff is actually better than the traditional methods :)
    >
    > Cheers, helen s

    I converted to clipless 18 months ago ( I was 67 ) I fell off 3 times the
    first day and twice on the second but after that I was ok -- and it was
    like riding a new bike! Never regretted it!

    On my new bike I have had half and half pedals installed. I just think on my
    long touring holidays it will be nice to get out of bike shoes at the end of
    a day and be able to pootle around in flip flops/trainers or whatever.

    But anyway change to spd for a new / better experience

    Trevor A Panther
    In South Yorkshire,
    England, United Kingdom.

  6. > Point of order, m'lud, at 39 my memory is rather the opposite, with
    > the standard sized bar increasingly sidelined by ever bigger
    > versions as time went by.

    Several years ago (2002?) they were girlified - made smaller with poncey
    rounded lettering, thinner chocolate and more 'fluffiness'.

  7. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > May a middle-aged, apprentice old-fart of a woman suggest a change to
    > one of the clipless pedal systems?

    Bloody lycra-louts!

    I was a reluctant convert to clipless
    > but now would never willingly go back to toeclips. Clipless are just so
    > much easier to get in and out of quickly, getting rid of that need to be
    > able to loosen off a strap quickly...

    Are they available in a comfy form (like a trainer)?

    Some of these new-fangled, modern,
    > techo-wizardry stuff is actually better than the traditional methods :)

    Not unless I can, at the very least, walk comfortably in it.

    --
    not me guv

  8. Mark Thompson wrote:

    > Several years ago (2002?) they were girlified - made smaller with
    > poncey rounded lettering, thinner chocolate and more 'fluffiness'.

    Did you call my Mars bar a pouf?

  9. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Mark Thompson"
    <[email protected]*_turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]
    >> Point of order, m'lud, at 39 my memory is rather the opposite, with
    >> the standard sized bar increasingly sidelined by ever bigger
    >> versions as time went by.

    > Several years ago (2002?) they were girlified - made smaller with poncey
    > rounded lettering, thinner chocolate and more 'fluffiness'.

    Speaking as one of those girlie-things... 'girlified' would actually mean
    putting on ever more chocolate.... as every girlie knows, chocolate is
    better than s*x, men...

    Cheers, helen s

  10. Mark McNeill

    Mark McNeill Guest

    Response to Nick Kew:
    > I was a reluctant convert to clipless
    > > but now would never willingly go back to toeclips. Clipless are just so
    > > much easier to get in and out of quickly, getting rid of that need to be
    > > able to loosen off a strap quickly...

    > Are they available in a comfy form (like a trainer)?
    >
    > Some of these new-fangled, modern,
    > > techo-wizardry stuff is actually better than the traditional methods :)

    > Not unless I can, at the very least, walk comfortably in it.

    Just a day or so ago I went to my favourite LBS and bought a pair of
    these -

    http://tinyurl.com/qa84c

    [for a couple of quid cheaper than Wiggle's April special offer, so
    bully for http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/] to replace my present pair,
    which are getting a bit long in the tooth. The SPD cleat is recessed,
    so you can walk normally; although the sole is slightly stiffer than
    ordinary shoes.

    I wear shoes like these pretty much invariably on the bike, and happily
    walk around in them as well. If I was buying all my bike equipment
    again from scratch, SPD pedals and shoes would be a *very* high
    priority.

    Be aware: you really have to go to an LBS and try them on. Sizes vary
    between manufacturers *and* models, and pretending to yourself that an
    on-line bargain fits when it doesn't is a pointless exercise. DAMHIK...

    Come to think of it, it's almost the season for SPD sandals again. I
    love this time of year!

    --
    Mark, UK
    "One of the gigs was in Kidderminster at a venue called Frank Freeman's

  11. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "citizen142" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > I call this the Mars Bar Syndrome - at 62 I can remember when the
    > 'giant' Mars bar was the standard bar, instead of which we now get the
    > ever decreasing bar where eventually the packaging will be heavier
    > than the contents!

    Ever decreasing? The last Mars bar I saw was gigantic!

    --
    Simon Mason
    http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

  12. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    wafflycat wrote:

    > Speaking as one of those girlie-things... 'girlified' would actually
    > mean putting on ever more chocolate.... as every girlie knows, chocolate
    > is better than s*x, men...

    The easiest way to add chocolate is take out all that ridiculous
    milk they keep adulterating it with, taking up the place of
    perfectly good cocoa mass. As you'd relaise if you /really/
    appreciated chocolate! ;-)

    Pete.
    --
    Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
    Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

  13. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Nick Kew
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > wafflycat wrote:
    >
    >> May a middle-aged, apprentice old-fart of a woman suggest a change to
    >> one of the clipless pedal systems?

    > Bloody lycra-louts!
    >
    > I was a reluctant convert to clipless
    >> but now would never willingly go back to toeclips. Clipless are just
    >> so much easier to get in and out of quickly, getting rid of that need
    >> to be able to loosen off a strap quickly...

    > Are they available in a comfy form (like a trainer)?
    >
    > Some of these new-fangled, modern,
    >> techo-wizardry stuff is actually better than the traditional methods
    >> :)

    > Not unless I can, at the very least, walk comfortably in it.

    You can generally walk comfortably in any shoes designed for mountain
    biking or cyclo-cross - necessarily so, because in these disciplines
    occasions when one has to get off and carry are not that infrequent.

    ;; L'etat c'est moi -- Louis XVI
    ;; I... we... the Government -- Tony Blair

  14. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Nick Kew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > wafflycat wrote:
    >
    >> May a middle-aged, apprentice old-fart of a woman suggest a change to one
    >> of the clipless pedal systems?

    > Bloody lycra-louts!

    That's me ;-)

    > I was a reluctant convert to clipless
    >> but now would never willingly go back to toeclips. Clipless are just so
    >> much easier to get in and out of quickly, getting rid of that need to be
    >> able to loosen off a strap quickly...

    > Are they available in a comfy form (like a trainer)?

    Indeedee, there's many such a stylee available. My very own ones I wear are
    such a stylee.

    > Some of these new-fangled, modern,
    >> techo-wizardry stuff is actually better than the traditional methods :)

    > Not unless I can, at the very least, walk comfortably in it.

    Oh yes, I can do that.

    Cheers, helen s

  15. Mike Causer

    Mike Causer Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:28:14 +0100, Nick Kew wrote:

    > Are they available in a comfy form (like a trainer)?

    Yes.

    > Not unless I can, at the very least, walk comfortably in it.

    Yes, no problem. The shoes you need are sold as "MTB", rather than
    "road". The sole is more flexible, the cleats are recessed into a
    moderately chunky tread, and there's a small heel. I've been very pleased
    with Shimano M031, and they're available in subdued colours too. I also
    find that double-sided pedals, that is SPD both sides, are good for
    road/touring use, and very handy on the recumbent. The downside is that
    there won't be effective pedal reflectors, although I wear reflecting
    ankle-bands at night to compensate.

    Mike

  16. Call me Bob

    Call me Bob Guest

    On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 12:56:25 +0100, Mike Causer
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Are they available in a comfy form (like a trainer)?

    >Yes.
    >
    >> Not unless I can, at the very least, walk comfortably in it.

    >Yes, no problem. The shoes you need are sold as "MTB", rather than
    >"road". The sole is more flexible, the cleats are recessed into a
    >moderately chunky tread, and there's a small heel.

    And by happy coincidence, Lidl are doing cleat compatible cycling
    shoes this very monday, for the bargain price of £15.

    http://www.lidl.co.uk/gb/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20060417.p.Mens_Mountain_Bike_Shoes

    These aren't the only game in town, as others have mentioned, but they
    are surely the best value.

    Cleats come with the pedals and bolt into the sole of the shoe where
    they happily sit out of the way so that you can walk normally when off
    the bike.

    Usual recommendation for those new to clipless pedals are the base
    model Shimano SPD's, available at several places for about 20 quid.
    CycleXpress have them and offer free postage:

    http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/products/M520_SPD_Pedals_169.asp

    I can't think of another way to spend £35 that would deliver such a
    big improvment on the bike.

    "Bob"

  17. David Martin

    David Martin Guest

    Mike Causer wrote:
    > On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 11:28:14 +0100, Nick Kew wrote:
    >

    > > Are they available in a comfy form (like a trainer)?

    > Yes.
    >
    > > Not unless I can, at the very least, walk comfortably in it.

    > Yes, no problem. The shoes you need are sold as "MTB", rather than
    > "road". The sole is more flexible, the cleats are recessed into a
    > moderately chunky tread, and there's a small heel.

    You don't need flexibility. You need the right degree of rock on the
    sole. I have a pair of Diadora Chili that fit like a glove. Very stiff
    (which is a good thing for cycling) but the sole is curved just right
    for comfortable walking. I have worn them all day at work when I forgot
    my 'proper' shoes.

    ...d

  18. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, Peter Clinch
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > wafflycat wrote:
    >
    >> Speaking as one of those girlie-things... 'girlified' would actually
    >> mean putting on ever more chocolate.... as every girlie knows,
    >> chocolate is better than s*x, men...

    > The easiest way to add chocolate is take out all that ridiculous
    > milk they keep adulterating it with, taking up the place of
    > perfectly good cocoa mass. As you'd relaise if you /really/
    > appreciated chocolate! ;-)

    Just so. Less than 70%, just say /no/. 80% or better, mmmmm.

    ;; All in all you're just another hick in the mall
    -- Drink C'lloid

  19. "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "citizen142" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >

    >> I call this the Mars Bar Syndrome - at 62 I can remember when the
    >> 'giant' Mars bar was the standard bar, instead of which we now get the
    >> ever decreasing bar where eventually the packaging will be heavier
    >> than the contents!

    > Ever decreasing? The last Mars bar I saw was gigantic!
    >
    > --
    > Simon Mason
    > http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

    It must be my mind but I assumed this thread was about Mick Jagger and
    Marianne Faithful and a Mars bar in 1967. I'm sure mine was much bigger
    then.

  20. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    "Geoff Pearson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > It must be my mind but I assumed this thread was about Mick Jagger and
    > Marianne Faithful and a Mars bar in 1967. I'm sure mine was much bigger
    > then.

    Blokes have always overestimated the size of their... errr... Mars bar ;-)

    Cheers, helen s