Mars bar syndrome

"congokid" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, David
> Martin <[email protected]> writes
>
>>It does have to be the right shape. I find that my Koflachs (plastic
>>mountaineering boots) are just about fine for walking in as long as it
>>isn't downhill.

> So you can climb uphill, but not down. How do you get down then?
>
> --
> congokid
> Eating out in London? Read my tips...
> http://congokid.com

have two pairs of foot wear!
it is what sensible "climbers" do
Climbing and mountain walking are two very different exercises!

--
Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,

David Martin wrote:
> Nick Kew wrote:
>

>>Someone else praised stiff but shaped souls. I've encountered
>>those in mountain boots, and found them deadly.

> It does have to be the right shape. I find that my Koflachs (plastic
> mountaineering boots) are just about fine for walking in as long as it
> isn't downhill.

Erm ...

On the basis that most journeys involve equal amounts of
uphill and downhill, are you saying you use plastic
mountaineering boots only on the flat?

Anyway, what I meant by deadly is that they isolate the feet from
the ground too much, so I lose the normal ability to balance when
going over something rough. And when you can't bend the ankles
'cos of the boots, that makes for a catastrophic fall.

--
not me guv

Pinky wrote:

> I am a type 2 diabetic which is controlled by diet only but I am aware that
> it is a degenerative disease and one of the effects is a circulation problem
> with extremities. Now I have no problem with my feet at the moment, but I do
> take care of them. Also I take one aspirin every day as an aid to blood
> pressure (to "thin" the blood). One of its side effects is to reduce the
> speed of clotting of my blood such that any minor cut or scratch bleeds
> quite enough to lay a small trail of blood on the surface of my skin and it
> is disfiguring to my pride rather than detrimental to my health.
>
> So I avoid wearing sandals when cycling seriously for obvious reasons --
> much as I would enjoy the freedom involved. It has other drawbacks -- I wear
> 2 pairs of socks every day - the 2nd after showering for evening!

I'm no spring chicken myself and also take an aspirin a day. So far
I've never had problems from wearing sandals and that includes
off-roading in them. As for socks, ignore the fashion police. I wear a
variety of socks and no-socks when touring. Sealskins for when its
raining or cold, bare feet for good weather, normal socks in the evening
and sometimes in the day if its cool. The beauty of sandals is they are
infinitely flexible, don't get soggy and are the only shoes you need for
touring.

> Finally, at a fairly advanced age, I am very much aware that I am more than
> a little fixed in my opinions and find it a slow process to change them
> these days. That is not because of being stubborn but rather a matter of
> long experience of being influenced by "life" -- so my "fixed" opinions are
> those which I have slowly developed over many years and are somewhat set in
> concrete!
>
> 'twas ever thus with old fogeys!

All the more reason not to give into oldfogeydom.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

<[email protected]> writes:

> I could be convinced, but I don't ke falling off.

Just as a data-point, I've never fallen off since I got clipless
pedals.

"You are the real un-Americans and you should be ashamed of yourselves."
- Paul Robeson to the HUAC

in message <[email protected]>, congokid
('[email protected]') wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> David Martin <[email protected]> writes
>
>>It does have to be the right shape. I find that my Koflachs (plastic
>>mountaineering boots) are just about fine for walking in as long as it
>>isn't downhill.

> So you can climb uphill, but not down. How do you get down then?

Sit on a leaf and wait for autumn. Sheesh, don you know /anything/?

Windows 95:
You, you, you! You make a grown man cry...
M. Jagger/K. Richards

in message <[email protected]>, wafflycat
('w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com') wrote:

> "Paul Boyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> On 15/04/2006 15:53, [email protected] said,
>>
>>> At a similar age to the OP, I have considered clipless pedals, but
>>> have stuck
>>> to clips, as I consider my old bones too fragile to sustain what I
>>> see as inevitable falls incurred in aclimatising to clipless pedals.

>> At a considerably younger age than the OP, I also stick to traditional
>> toeclips and straps, which I acclimatised to 20+ years ago. I suppose
>> could join the 20th century and go clipless, but why? Clips do me
>> just fine, thank you!
>>

> The answer, for me, was simple - once I'd reluctantly tried clipless.
> Pedalling is smoother, more efficient and as I automatically pulled on
> the upstroke of the pedalling action once in clipless, less wearing on
> my knees & shins. I said exactly the same as you - prior to using
> clipless - now I would not willingly go back to using ordinary platform
> pedals & toeclips. And *much* easier to clip in and out of *quickly* in
> traffic than traditional toeclips.

Absolutely. That's what made the difference for me - no longer having to
reach down and release the straps before I could get a foot down.

Copyright (c) Simon Brooke; All rights reserved. Permission is
granted to transfer this message via UUCP or NNTP and to store it
for the purpose of archiving or further transfer. Permission is
explicitly denied to use this message as part of a 'Web Forum', or
to transfer it by HTTP.

<[email protected]> wrote

> At a similar age to the OP, I have considered clipless pedals, but have
> stuck
> to clips, as I consider my old bones too fragile to sustain what I see as
> inevitable falls incurred in aclimatising to clipless pedals.

Inevitable? The only time I have fallen off my pedals was when I had
straps. SPDs were a piece of cake to get used to. Not all cleats
are the same though, but I don't know how to distinguish them visually.

> I could be convinced, but I don't ke falling off.

in message <[email protected]>, Alan Holmes
('[email protected]') wrote:

> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "citizen142" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>>I guess I'm stuck in my old cycling ways and will stick to toe clips
>>> and straps.

>> May a middle-aged, apprentice old-fart of a woman suggest a change to
>> one of the clipless pedal systems? I was a reluctant convert to
>> clipless but now would never willingly go back to toeclips. Clipless
>> are just so much easier to get in and out of quickly, getting rid of
>> that need to be able to loosen off a strap quickly... Some of these
>> new-fangled, modern, techo-wizardry stuff is actually better than the
>> traditional methods :)

> Why do you think it neccessary to tighten the strap on toe clips?
>
> I leave mine with enough slack to get out of quickly, much easier to
> deal with.

What's the point of having them, then? If they don't hold your feet, they
aren't doing any good, and you'd be better off without them.

Error 1109: There is no message for this error

[email protected] wrote:

> How many times did you fall off whilst acclimatising?

None at all while I was getting used to them because I was so
paranoid about getting out on time. I've gone over a couple of
times since (more than a couple on the MTB on technically tricky
stuff where it was just too steep to keep going), but never got hurt.

People have been known to miss getting out of clips and straps, of
course...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > I could be convinced, but I don't ke falling off.

> Just as a data-point, I've never fallen off since I got clipless
> pedals.

Ditto.

Nor have my children who also all use spds.

<touches wood>

A tip is to learn clipping/unclipping before venturing anywhere - we all
practiced on a turbo trainer [1] first.

John B

[email protected] wrote:

> On 15 Apr,
> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:
>

>> The answer, for me, was simple - once I'd reluctantly tried clipless.
>> Pedalling is smoother, more efficient and as I automatically pulled on
>> the upstroke of the pedalling action once in clipless, less wearing on my
>> knees & shins. I said exactly the same as you - prior to using clipless -
>> now I would not willingly go back to using ordinary platform pedals &
>> toeclips. And *much* easier to clip in and out of *quickly* in traffic
>> than traditional toeclips.
>>

> How many times did you fall off whilst acclimatising?

I've only fallen out once, on Bayswater Road behind the number 94 bus I
think. Only thing hurt was my pride, but I suppose it could have been
worse. That was five or more years ago and I'd not willingly return to
toestraps or flat pedals for cycling any distance.
--
Chris

Never hit a man with glasses. Hit him with a baseball bat.

On 15 Apr,
"wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:

> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:4E180FBBA5%[email protected]...
> > On 15 Apr,
> > "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:
> >

> >> The answer, for me, was simple - once I'd reluctantly tried clipless.
> >> Pedalling is smoother, more efficient and as I automatically pulled on
> >> the
> >> upstroke of the pedalling action once in clipless, less wearing on my
> >> knees
> >> & shins. I said exactly the same as you - prior to using clipless - now I
> >> would not willingly go back to using ordinary platform pedals & toeclips.
> >> And *much* easier to clip in and out of *quickly* in traffic than
> >> traditional toeclips.
> >>

> > How many times did you fall off whilst acclimatising?
> >

> Once.

Is that typical of other converts? I could probably cope with once, as long
as it is a slow fall.

--
BD
Change lycos to yahoo to reply

On 15 Apr,
John B <[email protected]> wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>
> > <[email protected]> writes:
> >
> > > I could be convinced, but I don't ke falling off.

> > Just as a data-point, I've never fallen off since I got clipless
> > pedals.

> Ditto.
>
> Nor have my children who also all use spds.
>
> <touches wood>
>
> A tip is to learn clipping/unclipping before venturing anywhere - we all
> practiced on a turbo trainer [1] first.

That sounds a good idea. I've lent out my turbo. I'll have to repossess it I
think.

--

[email protected] wrote:

> At a similar age to the OP, I have considered clipless pedals, but
> have stuck to clips, as I consider my old bones too fragile to
> sustain what I see as inevitable falls incurred in aclimatising to
> clipless pedals.
>
> I could be convinced, but I don't ke falling off.

You're not very likely to have more than one gentle topple over as you
come to a stop and fail to "twist" before your brain re-programs itself --
which will be more of an embarrassing than bone-breaking experience.
....And not everyone even does that.

Actually I do have reservations about safety when it comes to
(automatically) releasing in crashes -- they make the fall more awkward
when release is not quick enough -- and I really can't afford any more
injury either, but still clipless pedals are so very much more
comfortable, efficient and easier to get into than toe clips that I take
the risk.

~ ~ ~
Mars bars may not have downsized but what about Viscount mint biscuits? I
can fit a whole one in my mouth now. Couldn't do that when I was five
years old. Absolute proof!

That reminds me. The primary school I went to has been rebuilt. Amazing
job! It looks precisely like the original building but 33% smaller.

~PB

Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <[email protected]>, congokid
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > David Martin <[email protected]> writes
> >
> >>It does have to be the right shape. I find that my Koflachs (plastic
> >>mountaineering boots) are just about fine for walking in as long as it
> >>isn't downhill.

> > So you can climb uphill, but not down. How do you get down then?

> Sit on a leaf and wait for autumn. Sheesh, don you know /anything/?

Sit on the top and wait for global warming. Then swim home.

...d

<[email protected]> wrote in message news:4E18283C68%[email protected]...

> Is that typical of other converts? I could probably cope with once, as
> long
> as it is a slow fall.

As far as I know, from reading other's experiences, there does seem to be at
least one obligatory fall. Saying that, Nathan has never fallen. The key is
to remember to unclip a foot *before* the bike comes to a halt.... I
practised on the gravel drive at the front of the house and discovered the
one redeeming feature of having a well-padded rear... padding for the
obligatory fall :) For a short while I kept to quiet roads and could be
seen cycling with a teenager cycling along behind me crying out "Unclip!
Unclip!" as we approached any 'hazard' that I may remotely need to unclip
for. He sounded like a demented cycling prophet form ancient times...
"Unclip! Unclip!" Feeble attempt at humour aside, and back to
straightforwardness, clipping in and out *quickly* became second nature and
I haven't regretted the change to clipless pedals for a second. The pedal
system I use is Look. Love it to bits. Nathan regularly swaps between spd's,
spd-sl's and Look pedals without problem.

Cheers, helen s

> As far as I know, from reading other's experiences, there does seem to
> be at least one obligatory fall. Saying that, Nathan has never fallen.

A further data point: <smug>I've never fallen</smug>

A tip: Got mtb pedals on their loosest setting - I can wrench the feet off
the clips with little problem. If it weren't for this I may have tumbled a
couple of times.

Despite being loose my feet are in now danger of unplanned unclipping
unless I'm doing silly things, like trying to bunnyhop or Really Going For
It and at risk of snapping the chain. Shold really tighten themn up to
help with the bunny hops - I've never been able to do them.

wafflycat wrote:

> as every girlie knows, chocolate is better than s*x

So today must be better than an orgy then ;-)

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

In article <4E18283C68%[email protected]>, [email protected] writes
>On 15 Apr,
> "wafflycat" <w*a*ff£y£cat*@£btco*nn£ect.com> wrote:
>> <[email protected]> wrote in message news:4E180FBBA5%[email protected]...

>> > How many times did you fall off whilst acclimatising?

>> Once.

>Is that typical of other converts? I could probably cope with once, as long
>as it is a slow fall.

Once was enough for me as well, within 30 seconds or so of my journey
home having just had the pedals and shoe things fitted. All I bruised
was my ego, as I had an audience.

It's not happened again since.