Marshalling (was London -Brighton 2004)

MartinM

Guest
From the RTTC site: 1 As a Marshal or Checker you are requested to wear a high visibility jacket or
bib. This helps riders to see you and alerts other road users that "something is happening".

2 Ensure you know before the day of the event the precise point where you are expected to marshal,
the direction from which the riders will come and the direction in which they are to go.

3 The promoter should have advised you beforehand of the time you should be in position. Be on time.
If arriving by car, make certain your vehicle is parked off the highway. Do not park on the verge of
a clearway, in a private drive, or in a lay-by which is likely to be used by public transport during
the event. You may be moved on or summonsed if you are parked illegally. Park with courtesy and
consideration for other road users. Do not obstruct the view of riders or other road users.

4 Stand at a point where you can be seen by approaching competitors and where you will not endanger
yourself or be a hazard to other road users. Do not obstruct road signs.

5 f you receive a complaint from a member of the public, do not get into an argument but refer them
to the Event Organiser. Remember the public image of the sport is in your hands at such a time.

Marshals only Your sole duty is to indicate clearly the route the rider is to follow. Indicate the
way before the rider reaches you, preferably by holding something visible, e.g. the start sheet. The
rider may not be familiar with the course and is looking to you for the direction to be taken. It is
illegal for you to direct, or attempt to control, other traffic In any way or to interfere with its
movement on the highway.

**********************
So what do you do if there is a vehicle approaching the junction where the rider is about join?
**********************

"MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Marshals only Your sole duty is to indicate clearly the route the rider is to follow. Indicate the
> way before the rider reaches you, preferably by holding something visible, e.g. the start sheet.
> The rider may not be familiar with the course and is looking to you for the direction to be taken.
> It is illegal for you to direct, or attempt to control, other traffic In any way or to interfere
> with its movement on the highway.
>
> **********************
> So what do you do if there is a vehicle approaching the junction where the rider is about join?
> **********************

If the cyclist does not have priority at the junction, they have to still give way even if they are
on an organised ride, unless the police are manually controlling traffic on the junction which is
sometimes done.

MartinM <[email protected]> wrote:

> From the RTTC site: 1 As a Marshal or Checker you are requested to wear a high visibility jacket
> or bib. This helps riders to see you and alerts other road users that "something is happening".

Odd then that every cycle club ( apart from my own) that I have contacted has complained at the
price of our Flourescent Tabards, even though they are £s cheaper than anywhere else.

> 2 Ensure you know before the day of the event the precise point where you are expected to marshal,
> the direction from which the riders will come and the direction in which they are to go.
>
> 3 The promoter should have advised you beforehand of the time you should be in position. Be on
> time. If arriving by car, make certain your vehicle is parked off the highway. Do not park on the
> verge of a clearway, in a private drive, or in a lay-by which is likely to be used by public
> transport during the event. You may be moved on or summonsed if you are parked illegally. Park
> with courtesy and consideration for other road users. Do not obstruct the view of riders or other
> road users.

Sounds like poor organisation, every time I have organised a car rally or marshalled on one the
marshalls have been supplied with either 8 figure map references or a map showing where to park
where their control is etc...

> 4 Stand at a point where you can be seen by approaching competitors and where you will not
> endanger yourself or be a hazard to other road users. Do not obstruct road signs.

See comment about maps

> 5 f you receive a complaint from a member of the public, do not get into an argument but
> refer them to the Event Organiser. Remember the public image of the sport is in your hands at
> such a time.
>
> Marshals only Your sole duty is to indicate clearly the route the rider is to follow. Indicate the
> way before the rider reaches you, preferably by holding something visible, e.g. the start sheet.

Or ask the organiser to supply a Flour baton or arrow?

> The rider may not be familiar with the course and is looking to you for the direction to be taken.
> It is illegal for you to direct, or attempt to control, other traffic In any way or to interfere
> with its movement on the highway.
>
> **********************
> So what do you do if there is a vehicle approaching the junction where the rider is about join?
> **********************
Warn the rider!

--
Marc. Please note the above address is a spam trap, use marcc to reply Printing for clubs of all
types http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk Stickers, banners & clothing, for clubs,teams, magazines

> > Warn the rider!
>
> Surely the rider can still see & hear an approachhing vehicle for themselves when on an
> organised ride?

I was marshalling a TT in Sept , the rider was turning left at a roundabout, the roundabout and
topography obscured any vehicles that would have been coming towards the rider.

"marc" <marccdimspamremovedimspamto [email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> I was marshalling a TT in Sept , the rider was turning left at a roundabout, the roundabout and
> topography obscured any vehicles that would have been coming towards the rider.

If a TT rider is relying on marshalls to warn of traffic, thereby avoiding having to slow down so
much is this really right?

Say the marshall is not "on the ball" and a TT rider relies on the marshal to give a warning and
ends up under the wheels of an HGV then would the riders family be able to sue the marshall?

Adrian Boliston wrote:

> "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:1g9tf8a.gcbmmucfbfz8N%[email protected]...
>
> > Warn the rider!
>
> Surely the rider can still see & hear an approachhing vehicle for themselves when on an
> organised ride?

Ah, but these are hell-bent on slicing a millisecond off their previous best time. They are
oblivious to all other road users [1]

[1] well, except container lorries.

John B

> I was marshalling a TT in Sept , the rider was turning left at a
> > roundabout, the roundabout and topography obscured any vehicles that would have been coming
> > towards the rider.
>
> If a TT rider is relying on marshalls to warn of traffic, thereby avoiding having to slow down so
> much is this really right?

I don't know if the riders were relying on me.

> Say the marshall is not "on the ball" and a TT rider relies on the marshal to give a warning and
> ends up under the wheels of an HGV then would the riders family be able to sue the marshall?

The rider ( like any other road user) shouldn't rely on anyone else .

JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Adrian Boliston wrote:
> >
> > "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:1g9tf8a.gcbmmucfbfz8N%[email protected]...
> >
> > > Warn the rider!

Yes I certainly intend to do that next week on the 25 I'm marshalling. I don't wan't to witness an
accident I could have prevented.

> > Surely the rider can still see & hear an approachhing vehicle for themselves when on an
> > organised ride?

You would think so

> Ah, but these are hell-bent on slicing a millisecond off their previous best time. They are
> oblivious to all other road users [1]
>
> [1] well, except container lorries.

John I'm afraid that is an aspect of time-trialling. I personally don't enjoy it much either and
gave up open events a few years ago to do Audax and bring some enjoyment back into my riding.
However there are many riders out there for whom TT's are their bread and butter, and milliseconds
really do count. The whole safety issue is getting very big as well. The 25 I have to marshall I
normally ride the course and stop half way to marshall; not this year, I have to carry an enormous
sign in the car to place on the junction.

MartinM wrote:

> JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > Adrian Boliston wrote:
> > >
> > > "marc" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:1g9tf8a.gcbmmucfbfz8N%[email protected]...

> Yes I certainly intend to do that next week on the 25 I'm marshalling. I don't wan't to witness an
> accident I could have prevented.
>
> > > Surely the rider can still see & hear an approachhing vehicle for themselves when on an
> > > organised ride?
>
> You would think so
> >
> > Ah, but these are hell-bent on slicing a millisecond off their previous best time. They are
> > oblivious to all other road users [1]
> >
> > [1] well, except container lorries.
>
> John I'm afraid that is an aspect of time-trialling. I personally don't enjoy it much either and
> gave up open events a few years ago to do Audax and bring some enjoyment back into my riding.
> However there are many riders out there for whom TT's are their bread and butter, and milliseconds
> really do count.

I know. I used to ride three or more events a week chasing times, and I too gave it up as all rather
pointless (and dangerous). IMO it really is a dead end part of our sport. I think that it _will_
eventually die out either through a lack younger riders taking it up or more likely through imposed
legislation.

> The whole safety issue is getting very big as well.

Wait for the first compensation claims against marshalls and helpers by a rider. It *will* happen.
As you may have picked up I also think it's irresponsible for parents to let their children compete
in TTs on the open road. (I have no problems whatsoever with closed circuits)

> The 25 I have to marshall I normally ride the course and stop half way to marshall; not this year,
> I have to carry an enormous sign in the car to place on the junction.

John B

[email protected] (marc) wrote in news:1g9tf8a.gcbmmucfbfz8N%
[email protected]:

> Odd then that every cycle club ( apart from my own) that I have contacted has complained at the
> price of our Flourescent Tabards, even though they are œs cheaper than anywhere else.

Lidl is your friend! Amongst all the other cheapy stuff, they often have a "driving theme" bunch of
stuff. I've got a couple of fluoro waistcoats with reflective stripes on for less than 5 quid each
(can't remember exactly how much, probably 2 or 3 quid). I have one sitting in the back of my car at
all times, ready for whenever it is needed. Never need it it yet though, touch wood (taps head).

Graeme

JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I know. I used to ride three or more events a week chasing times, and I too gave it up as all
> rather pointless (and dangerous). IMO it really is a dead end part of our sport. I think that it
> _will_ eventually die out either through a lack younger riders taking it up or more likely through
> imposed legislation.

I get the impression it is more or less a UK only sport, and a very old one at that. I have noticed
an increase in interest in AUK rides since they dropped the mudguard rule, maybe we will see
sportifes soon?

> Wait for the first compensation claims against marshalls and helpers by a rider. It *will* happen.

Absolutely, even though they probably wouldn't win; the RTTC rules are very clear on
marshall's roles.

MartinM wrote:

> JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > I know. I used to ride three or more events a week chasing times, and I too gave it up as all
> > rather pointless (and dangerous). IMO it really is a dead end part of our sport. I think that it
> > _will_ eventually die out either through a lack younger riders taking it up or more likely
> > through imposed legislation.
>
> I get the impression it is more or less a UK only sport, and a very old one at that.

I don't go back to the alpaca jackets period but I do remember being hauled over the coals for
having an advertisement on my racing cap.

> I have noticed an increase in interest in AUK rides since they dropped the mudguard rule, maybe we
> will see sportifes soon?

That could be a good move, but even then they will be subject to all kinds of scrutiny by those
looking for any excuse to kill off cycling :-( ...or to make money out of any small misfortune.

> > Wait for the first compensation claims against marshalls and helpers by a rider. It *will*
> > happen.
>
> Absolutely, even though they probably wouldn't win; the RTTC rules are very clear on
> marshall's roles.

It will only take one who makes a mistake for a claim to come winging along. The claims may also be
made against organisers.

John B

In article <[email protected]>,=20
[email protected] says...
> > Odd then that every cycle club ( apart from my own) that I have contacted has complained at the
> > price of our Flourescent Tabards, even though they are =9Cs cheaper than anywhere else.
> >=20
>=20
> Lidl is your friend! Amongst all the other cheapy stuff, they often have =
a=20
> "driving theme" bunch of stuff. I've got a couple of fluoro waistcoats wi=
th=20
> reflective stripes on for less than 5 quid each (can't remember exactly h=
ow=20
> much, probably 2 or 3 quid). I have one sitting in the back of my car at=
=20
> all times, ready for whenever it is needed. Never need it it yet though,=
=20
> touch wood (taps head).
>=20
We charge less than that for Flouresecent tabards with the clubs name=20 printed on them.

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 01:18:24 GMT, Graeme <[email protected]> wrote:

> Lidl is your friend! Amongst all the other cheapy stuff, they often have a "driving theme" bunch
> of stuff. I've got a couple of fluoro waistcoats with reflective stripes on for less than 5 quid
> each (can't remember exactly how much, probably 2 or 3 quid). I have one sitting in the back of
> my car at all times, ready for whenever it is needed. Never need it it yet though, touch wood
> (taps head).

Be careful with that. I have a class 3 flourescent and a large first-aid kit in teh car. Once I was
in teh middle of a multiple-car pileup on the motorway. I assessed myself, then hopped out (well,
opening things was tricky, since the front and back doors were now overlapping and teh boot was
interestingly folded), pulled on flouro jacket, grabbed first aid kit and started saving the day.

Several police cars turned up, and several ambulances. All of the people that appeared had on flouro
gear and some had identical looking first-aid kits. Not one person (police or ambulance) even asked
if I was OK, though my wife got checked half a dozen times.

I think it was assumed I was another member of teh emergency services
- which could have caused aggro had I done anything wrong, and it would have been iffy had I
actually been injured and not noticed due to teh adrenaline. Sometimes you're better off not
looking competent and/or in charge of something.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

marc <marccdimspamremovedimspamto [email protected]> wrote:
:>
: We charge less than that for Flouresecent tabards with the clubs name printed on them.

Can you drop me a line with some real contact details? My club would be interested.

Arthur

--
Arthur Clune http://www.clune.org "Technolibertarians make a philosophy out of a personality defect"
- Paulina Borsook

Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Be careful with that. I have a class 3 flourescent and a large first-aid kit in teh car.

I'm not likely to be mistaken for anyone medically competent, at least not with my 4.99 Arco orange
plastic first aid kit. Good point though. I was mainly thinking that I'd need the fluoro waistcoat
in the event of a breakdown, hopefully nothing more serious.

Graeme