Martha's Vineyard, MTB or Road

lidguy

Jul 20, 2005
I'm heading to Martha's Vineyard with my girlfriend for a long weekend and bicycles are planned as the primary form of transport (and secondary entertainment). I don't race anymore but ride weekly on relatively modern high-end road stuff, however I do have my nice old mtb ('96ish) and an ok older semi-clunker mtn bike ('91ish) about proper size for my girlfriend. Just wondering if anyone knows the island roads well (distances between beaches and sites, road quality, dirt roads?) and whether road or mountain bikes are preferable. We plan 30ish miles per day and I'm debating between bringing my bike and renting a decent road bike for my girlfriend who's very competent but new to cycling and bringing the two older mountain bikes for the both of us. Any suggestions?

lidguy said:
I'm heading to Martha's Vineyard with my girlfriend for a long weekend and bicycles are planned as the primary form of transport (and secondary entertainment). I don't race anymore but ride weekly on relatively modern high-end road stuff, however I do have my nice old mtb ('96ish) and an ok older semi-clunker mtn bike ('91ish) about proper size for my girlfriend. Just wondering if anyone knows the island roads well (distances between beaches and sites, road quality, dirt roads?) and whether road or mountain bikes are preferable. We plan 30ish miles per day and I'm debating between bringing my bike and renting a decent road bike for my girlfriend who's very competent but new to cycling and bringing the two older mountain bikes for the both of us. Any suggestions?
there is great group of riders that work at the Frank Jennings Bicycle shop in Edgartown. stop in and they'll tell you eveything you need to know. they have high end bikes for you to rent to your every day cruiser. i live in Katama during the summer. On the Eastern side of the island, its pretty flat, but the more west you go, it gets a lot more hilly. One of my favorite rides is to Menemsha and back (a little challenging, but thats why i like it).

I recomend that you go to "The Bite" in Menemsha, take your food to Menemsha Beach and a bottle of whine, then watch the sun go down, something you'll neve forget.

Let me know where your staying and I'll give you an approximate distance to every destination. For example, i can tell you from South Beach (left fork) to Marthas Vineyard Airport is exactly 18 miles there and back. There are just about bike paths everywhere so you dont have to worry about getting hit by a car. However there are no bike paths near menemsha / aquinna area (West Tisbury).

As for which bike to choose from... the mtb is going to be a more of a comfortable ride, however the road bike will get u from a to b quicker. u can always look for a hybrid too which would probably be the best way to go.

lidguy said:
I am leaving on Monday evening and arriving Wednesday afternoon, fourth year of taking the Road Bike, last year 905miles in two weeks, looking for 1,000 in 17 days,
First time on the island I rented the mountain bike from one of the shops in Edgartown, OK, we were flying but now we drive I bring the road bike, if it is a girl friend ride, you will be on the bike paths, your road bike would work but you will be with your GF and just rolling along,

The road bike especially at 530am when the sun is up on the roads is not a problem, I can circle the Island about 68-73 miles without cross over, South Beach, Edgartown, Oak Bluffs, Vineyard Haven, down to Gay Head Back to West Tisbury,
Good Road, Curves around Gay Head with no Shoulders, most of the drivers are "Bike Friendly" as long as you are careful,
If your GF does not bike regularly riding to Gay Head is Hilly and there are no bike paths down there,
I am there until the 6th of August