Martlew Bill - National Cycling Strategy Statement

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tony Raven, Jan 31, 2004.

  1. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Have just come across the following statement from the National Cycling
    Strategy Board which is very useful for sending to your MP as it is a
    statement by the body tasked by Government with responsibility for cycling:

    Tony

    NCS BOARD - STATEMENT OF POLICY: CYCLE HELMET WEARING

    There are many differing views on the merits of cycle helmet wearing, all based on deeply held
    conviction. As a consequence, the NCS Board considers that it would not be appropriate for it to
    offer a definitive statement on the issue. However, it is very clear that arguments appearing to
    disavow completely the efficacy of cycle helmet wearing, or on the other hand claiming it to be a
    major influence in reducing injury to cyclists, are both wide of the mark.

    In pursuit of the national target of a very significant increase in the number of trips by bicycle,
    which has all-party political support, the NCS Board seeks to promote sensible cycle use and to work
    for the benefit of a safer traffic environment for cycling. Whilst cycling offers notable
    environmental benefits as a mode of transport for short journeys, the scale of the problem of
    obesity in the UK means that the public health gains from significant increases in cycle use and
    regular exercise are achieving greater prominence and are equally important.

    Recognising that every user of the road, including the pedestrian, is vulnerable to the risk of
    accident, reducing levels of risk to cyclists through better marketing, education, traffic
    management and road engineering is an essential part of the NCS Board's approach. Educational
    measures need to reach other road users as well as cyclists. Raising public awareness of the
    benefits of cycle helmet wearing is a subset in this matrix.

    The NCS Board wishes to ensure that the question of wearing cycle helmets is placed in its proper
    context. Arguments which seek to present cycling as an inevitably dangerous or hazardous activity,
    or which suggest that helmet wearing should be made compulsory, risk prejudicing the delivery of
    those very benefits to health and environment which cycling can deliver, and serve to confuse the
    general public about the wider social and economic advantages of cycling.

    It must remain a decision for the individual as to whether to wear a helmet for some or all of their
    various cycling activities. Parents will need to take this decision on behalf of their children,
    bearing in mind all the particular circumstances. The Board is clear that any mandatory requirement
    to wear helmets on all occasions would be prejudicial to the realisation of the benefits which safe
    cycling can offer our society as a whole.

    NCS Board, December 2003

    Tags:

  2. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> writes:
    > Have just come across the following statement from the National Cycling Strategy Board which is
    > very useful for sending to your MP as it is a statement by the body tasked by Government with
    > responsibility for cycling:

    Aaargh!

    OK, useful looking reference. But I really don't think that my referencing your posting is going to
    impress my MP very much.

    So how do I reference the statement you're quoting?

    --
    Nick Kew

  3. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    Tony Raven posted ...

    > It must remain a decision for the individual as to whether to wear a helmet for some or all of
    > their various cycling activities. Parents will need to take this decision on behalf of their
    > children, bearing in mind all the particular circumstances. The Board is clear that any mandatory
    > requirement to wear helmets on all occasions would be prejudicial to the realisation of the
    > benefits which safe cycling can offer our society as a whole.

    Nicely put ... and agreed with.

    --
    Paul

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    > OK, useful looking reference. But I really don't think that my referencing your posting is going
    > to impress my MP very much.
    >
    > So how do I reference the statement you're quoting?

    Just quote the text as a statement issued by the National Cycling Strategy Board in December. The
    NCS site seems to have some problems at the moment for getting a direct reference but I picked it up
    from the Cycle Campaign Network January newsletter.

    Tony