Marzocchi 2003 Z1FR QR20 or RockShox BOXXER 2003 Race

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tim Burgher, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Tim Burgher

    Tim Burgher Guest

    What do you all think? I am building up a new bike on the Bullit frame for this coming summer.
    Should I go with the Marzocchi Z1FR QR20 or the RockShox BOXXER 2003 Race front suspension forks?
    The Marzocchi is only a single crown while the boxer is a dual crown.

    I plan on doing everything from trail riding to downhill to riding around town doing drops.

    I have a Marzocchi fork on my Sugar and love it! It's super sturdy and very smooth.

    What do you all think I should go for on my new bike?

    Thanks, Tim

    Tags:

  2. Tim Burgher wrote:
    > What do you all think? I am building up a new bike on the Bullit frame for this coming summer.
    > Should I go with the Marzocchi Z1FR QR20 or the RockShox BOXXER 2003 Race front suspension forks?
    > The Marzocchi is only a single crown while the boxer is a dual crown.
    >
    > I plan on doing everything from trail riding to downhill to riding around town doing drops.
    >
    > I have a Marzocchi fork on my Sugar and love it! It's super sturdy and very smooth.
    >
    > What do you all think I should go for on my new bike?
    >
    > Thanks, Tim

    Sounds like a Marzocchi Shiver DC might suit you, but the price might be a bit restrictive.

    Jon "CommandeR" Bond

  3. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > What do you all think? I am building up a new bike on the Bullit frame for this coming summer.
    > Should I go with the Marzocchi Z1FR QR20 or the RockShox BOXXER 2003 Race front suspension forks?
    > The Marzocchi is only a single crown while the boxer is a dual crown.
    >
    > I plan on doing everything from trail riding to downhill to riding around town doing drops.
    >
    > I have a Marzocchi fork on my Sugar and love it! It's super sturdy and very smooth.
    >
    > What do you all think I should go for on my new bike?
    >
    > Thanks, Tim

    http://cambriabike.com/forks&shock/marzocchi_junior_t_fork_2003.htm

    Get that Boxxer and you'll be very sorry. It aint worth it at any cost.
    --
    Slacker

  4. Tim Burgher

    Tim Burgher Guest

    I have looked at the Shiver.

    The reason I am asking is because Santa Cruz is offering a package deal with the BOXXER but I really
    like the Marzocchi stuff so far.

    I don't think I quite need the BOXXER yet but am wondering what other people think. I might upgrade
    later or something.

    Do you have anything to say about the Shiver?

    Tim

  5. Tim Burgher

    Tim Burgher Guest

    Why is that? Please explain. Just cause they have a good picture of a Junior T?

    Tim

  6. Jan Sacharuk

    Jan Sacharuk Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Slacker wrote:
    > "Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> What do you all think? I am building up a new bike on the Bullit frame for this coming summer.
    >> Should I go with the Marzocchi Z1FR QR20 or the RockShox BOXXER 2003 Race front suspension forks?
    >> The Marzocchi is only a single crown while the boxer is a dual crown.
    >>
    >> I plan on doing everything from trail riding to downhill to riding around town doing drops.

    There's a reason why Marzocchi owns the North Shore (or did, before Manitou started making forks
    that can compete), and it's because they're durable. They're strong, smooth, and they can take a
    beating, even if it IS a single crown fork. Besides, you're compromising turning radius on your bike
    with a dual crown fork, and it's not going to be that hot to begin with.

    > http://cambriabike.com/forks&shock/marzocchi_junior_t_fork_2003.htm
    >
    > Get that Boxxer and you'll be very sorry. It aint worth it at any cost.

    I agree. Go with the Bomber. You'll thank yourself in a couple years when you're still doing 6 foot
    drops and the fork is still there with you.

    JS

    --
    ========================= [email protected] ========================
    Jan Sacharuk Member in Good Standing of The Discordian Solidarity Turn on viewing of the X-Geek-Code

  7. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Why is that? Please explain. Just cause they have a good picture of a Junior T?
    >
    > Tim

    1. Because they're a POS, just like the rest of their crap.

    2. The seals are known to blow....often.

    3. RS Corp policy of planned obsolescence every 2 years.

    4. There's a reason 2 other companies are about the launch their own line internals for that
    POS Boxxer.

    5. It's strictly a race fork (lightweight) and will not hold up to any long term abuse.

    Other than that, they're great forks! Can't believe Bomba endorsed those things....First Wheelie_boy
    and now Bomba <heavy sigh>

    --
    Slacker ** SS(s) are bad for your health.....remember Bill Wheeler

  8. Jan Sacharuk wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, Slacker wrote:
    >
    >>"Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>What do you all think? I am building up a new bike on the Bullit frame for this coming summer.
    >>>Should I go with the Marzocchi Z1FR QR20 or the RockShox BOXXER 2003 Race front suspension forks?
    >>>The Marzocchi is only a single crown while the boxer is a dual crown.
    >>>
    >>>I plan on doing everything from trail riding to downhill to riding around town doing drops.
    >>

    > There's a reason why Marzocchi owns the North Shore (or did, before Manitou started making forks
    > that can compete), and it's because they're durable. They're strong, smooth, and they can take a
    > beating, even if it IS a single crown fork. Besides, you're compromising turning radius on your
    > bike with a dual crown fork, and it's not going to be that hot to begin with.
    >
    >snip<

    If my wheel is turned far enough that dual crown fork would hit my toptube/downtube, I'd be turning
    the opposite way from where I'm steering because the wheel would be facing backwards a bit....

    You will lose handling because of the increased height though.

    Jon "Commander" Bond

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > Slacker wrote:
    > > "Tim Burgher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > >>Why is that? Please explain. Just cause they have a good picture of a Junior T?
    > >
    > > 1. Because they're a POS, just like the rest of their crap.
    >
    > Yawn. Opinion.
    >
    > > 2. The seals are known to blow....often.
    >
    > The models two years ago did.
    >
    > > 3. RS Corp policy of planned obsolescence every 2 years.
    >
    > And the Boxxer has changed how much in the last 3 years?

    Umm, if they were blowing up 2 years ago and they haven't changed in 3 years...how about doing that
    math again and getting back to us.

    --