Marzocchi disassembly (Some urgency!):



Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and bushings to my '02 MXR coil
Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from now), and I figure I'll be able to work most
things out. However, I notice there is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that needs
to be undone for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound
adjustment knob;

Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the lowers from the uppers
on this leg?

Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme a
shout as soon as you can!

As ever, thanks muchly in advance!

Shaun aRe
 
S

Stephen Baker

Guest
Dang, SR, I'd love to help you out, but I know absolutely nothing about the subject! ;-(

Good Luck, though.....

STeve
 

roKeMS

New Member
Mar 11, 2002
174
0
0
I know heaps about these fork but choose not to indugle you.
Why, becoz whenever I ask something you flame me, and others so go *** yourself!

Now who has the better witt?:eek:

I'm sure you'll retort in some way but like I give a ***!!
:rolleyes:
 
M

Michael Dart

Guest
"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and bushings to my '02 MXR coil
> Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from now), and I figure I'll be able to work most
> things out. However, I notice there is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that
> needs to be
undone
> for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound adjustment knob;
>
>
> Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the
lowers
> from the uppers on this leg?
>
> Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme a
> shout as soon as you can!
>
> As ever, thanks muchly in advance!
>
>
> Shaun aRe
>
>
>

According to the .pdf directions from http://www.marzocchimtb.com/tech-tuning/index.html you release
the knob by pressing a small screwdriver in a hole on the lower inside of the fork leg (just behind
the dropout) and pull the knob and retainer off the shaft. Then use a 15mm deep socket to remove the
leg retaining nut.

Mike
 
D

Dick

Guest
Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and bushings to my '02 MXR coil
> Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from now), and I figure I'll be able to work most
> things out. However, I notice there is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that
> needs to be undone for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound
> adjustment knob;
>
>
> Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the lowers from the uppers on
> this leg?
>
> Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme a
> shout as soon as you can!
>
> As ever, thanks muchly in advance!
>
>
> Shaun aRe
>
>
>
Hit Marzocchi's site and look for their service manuals. They will walk you through complete
dissasembly/reassembly.
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dang, SR, I'd love to help you out, but I know absolutely nothing about
the
> subject! ;-(

> Good Luck, though.....

I needed it too:

Took wheel off, removed pads from calliper, took top caps, springs and oil out of forks this
morning, ready for the job at lunch time....

Lunch time:

I got the 15 mm socket, and undid the retaining nut from inside (recessed by a couple of inches) one
of the lowers - no worries. Couldn't find the other one, because there's this little rebound adjust
know on the other side.......

Finally, after much careful thought and deliberation (pissing about), I realised the knob 'pulls
off', to reveal the shaft it attaches to, and the other nut, again, set inside the tube. This nut
has the shaft coming out the centre of it, 3 or 4 inches long.

'There ain't no way I'm getting that thing off with a 15 mm socket', thunk I to meself, and of
course, I was right.

So, off to search for an extra long 15mm 'box key' jobby......no such

Right, I gets meself an old 15mm socket, and a section of 3-4 mm mild steel rod, and I weld the
buggers to each other, then bend the rod into a right angle part way up. Now, this little beastie
does the job, and I remove the lowers.

Using a big screwdriver and a big hammer, I gently prise ('****') the dust seals, then the oil seals
(after using needle nose pliers to gently remove the retaining clips), out of their little homes,
and clean inside the tubes.

Then, I remove the two big washers/spacers from on top of the bushings/sleeves, and using a metal
rod through the holes in the bottoms of the sliders, I carefully push out the old bushings/sleeves -
new ones go in easy. Drop washers back on top.

Get new oil seals, cover 'em in fork oil, and gently press ('****') the oil seals in with a big
hammer and a section of steel tubing the right diameter. They go in no problems, as does the first
of the dust seals (for these, I used the big hammer and the old dust seals to seat them). Second
dust seal goes in '****-eyed', and I can't get it out to put it back in flat without screwing it up,
so, I just have to keep encouraging ('twatting') it into place. Finally, it's more or less seated,
albeit in less than prime condition (sealing parts are OK though).

I'm now ready to re-assemble upper and lower parts, when I notice a little 'O' ring on the floor. I
find out it's fallen from the bottom of one of the sliders, around the bolt hole - other is still in
place. I put this 'O' ring on the nut, and start putting stuff together.

A bit of fiddling with the nuts (eh!) because they don't want to catch their threads, and I've got
everything back together.

Put in oil, put in springs, put on one top cap....whoops! Forgot to put the little tube and big
washer in there for the pre-load to act on, back off with it, bits in, back on with it, back on with
the other, re-fit brake pads, drop wheel in, tighten QR, set pre-load, set rebound, push bike
outside. Check, yup! Everything feels right, good as can be.

Come back in to clean up, I'm only 15 minutes over due to finish my lunch, so not too much of a rush
eh? Heh, right, get nearly everything cleaned up, all tools back in place and stuff, when what
should I find on the floor?

Gonna have to see if one of the fork legs is leaking from underneath in a bit - have to strip 'em
down again, maybe tonight to put that little ******* back in place......

Anyhow, now that I know what tools I need, and what to do/look out for, I can honestly say, the job
is a piece of ****. First time blind attempt though? An hour and a half isn't enough time to do it
unhurriedly, and smoothly get it right.

Anyone comes to do this job and has any questions, just give me a shout! Heheheheh.......

Shaun aRe

P.s. - Forks in question are, specifically, '02 Marzocchi MXR coil/oil, 100mm SSVF thingies.
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and
bushings
> > to my '02 MXR coil Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from
now),
> > and I figure I'll be able to work most things out. However, I notice
there
> > is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that needs to be
> undone
> > for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound adjustment knob;
> >
> >
> > Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the
> lowers
> > from the uppers on this leg?
> >
> > Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme a
> > shout as soon as you can!
> >
> > As ever, thanks muchly in advance!
> >
> >
> > Shaun aRe
> >
> >
> >
>
> According to the .pdf directions from http://www.marzocchimtb.com/tech-tuning/index.html you
> release the knob by pressing a small screwdriver in a hole on the lower inside of the fork leg
> (just behind the dropout) and pull the knob and retainer off the shaft. Then use a 15mm deep
> socket to remove the leg retaining nut.
>
> Mike

Done it now Mike (errmmm, sort of!), thanks - see my 'update' reply to Baker. Oh, and every time I
check that manual, all I can find is what is in my own manual - nothing about
assembly/disassembly?!?!?!?!?

Will look again ta!

Shaun aRe
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
roKeMS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I know heaps about these fork but choose not to indugle you.

I've done it now anyhow.

> Why, becoz whenever I ask something you flame me, and others so go *** yourself!

Don't be a ****. I have never flamed you for asking a question. I've flamed you for being an
ignorant, childish, brainless, imbecilic little consucker of an arsewipe, but never for asking a
bike realated question. Next.

> Now who has the better witt?:eek:

Me.

> I'm sure you'll retort in some way but like I give a ***!! :rolleyes:

sad-sack.

Shaun aRe - HTH, HAND!
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and
> bushings
> > > to my '02 MXR coil Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from
> now),
> > > and I figure I'll be able to work most things out. However, I notice
> there
> > > is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that needs to be
> > undone
> > > for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound adjustment knob;
> > >
> > >
> > > Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the
> > lowers
> > > from the uppers on this leg?
> > >
> > > Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme
> > > a shout as soon as you can!
> > >
> > > As ever, thanks muchly in advance!
> > >
> > >
> > > Shaun aRe
> > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> > According to the .pdf directions from http://www.marzocchimtb.com/tech-tuning/index.html you
> > release the knob
by
> > pressing a small screwdriver in a hole on the lower inside of the fork
leg
> > (just behind the dropout) and pull the knob and retainer off the shaft. Then use a 15mm deep
> > socket to remove the leg retaining nut.
> >
> > Mike
>
> Done it now Mike (errmmm, sort of!), thanks - see my 'update' reply to Baker. Oh, and every time I
> check that manual, all I can find is what is
in
> my own manual - nothing about assembly/disassembly?!?!?!?!?
>
> Will look again ta!
>
> Shaun aRe

Just took a look - the MXR air is there, but not the coil. Similar for all intents and purposes, is
the '01 Z3 though, so I now got that filed - cheers!

Shaun aRe
 
S

Spademan O----L

Guest
"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Dang, SR, I'd love to help you out, but I know absolutely nothing about
> the
> > subject! ;-(
>

>
> > Good Luck, though.....
>
> I needed it too:

<snip>

ROFLMAO! Same thing happened to me on Sunday. Took the fork lowers off, took the bottom out
elatomers off, cleaned and re-greased everything, re-assembled and fitted back on the bike. T'was
then I noticed a small ball-bearing on the workbench. WTF? Downloaded the service manual and found
out its a "detent ball". I have no idea what it does but I had to re-strp the fork to put it back in
a little dimple just in case..

Steve E.
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
roKeMS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > > Now who has the better witt?:eek:
> > Me.Shaun aRe - HTH, HAND!
>
>
>
> Nope - just a stereotype - try again.

You wouldn't know a stereotype if it had 'Technics' written all over it ya stupid ****. You're even
too daft to realise when you're making a fool of yourself and being stepped all over,
heheheheheh...........

Shaun aRe - keep coming back for more, see how long it takes for it to sink in how daft
you're being.
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]ronic.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Dang, SR, I'd love to help you out, but I know absolutely nothing
about
> > the
> > > subject! ;-(
> >

> >
> > > Good Luck, though.....
> >
> > I needed it too:
>
> <snip>
>
> ROFLMAO! Same thing happened to me on Sunday. Took the fork lowers off,
took
> the bottom out elatomers off,

You have freaking _elastomers_ in your forks? WTF?!?!?

> cleaned and re-greased everything, re-assembled and fitted back on the bike. T'was then I noticed
> a small ball-bearing on the workbench. WTF? Downloaded the service manual and
found
> out its a "detent ball". I have no idea what it does but I had to re-strp the fork to put it back
> in a little dimple just in case..

It's to give a positive 'notching' action to the adjuster.

Shaun aRe - gonna strip the forks at Kath's dad's factory unit tonight and put that little seal back
in - only minimal leakage so far......

Shaun aRe
 

roKeMS

New Member
Mar 11, 2002
174
0
0
Originally posted by Shaun Rimmer

> Nope - just a stereotype - try again.

You wouldn't know a stereotype if it had 'Technics' written all over it ya stupid ****. You're even
too daft to realise when you're making a fool of yourself and being stepped all over,
heheheheheh...........

Shaun aRe - keep coming back for more, see how long it takes for it to sink in how daft
you're being. [/B]

It's good that you can think so highly of yourself when you witt is slower than a snail at a time trial.

Stept all over? I think not. Get your head out the clouds, if your witt was as funny and retorical as you say we'd be buying tickets to your show.
But we aint. And won't. Scalpers would make a loss on that one, in fact they wouldn't risk it.

Daft is when you make personal comments coz you can't think of anything clever to say like this sentence and you.
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
A little late and without reading properly, Chris Phillipo said:

> In article <[email protected]s.dfncis.de>, [email protected] says...
> >
> > Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and
bushings
> > to my '02 MXR coil Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from
now),
> > and I figure I'll be able to work most things out. However, I notice
there
> > is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that needs to be
undone
> > for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound adjustment knob;
> >
> >
> > Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the
lowers
> > from the uppers on this leg?
> >
> > Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme a
> > shout as soon as you can!
> >
> > As ever, thanks muchly in advance!
> >
> >
> > Shaun aRe

>
> I assume you have a MXC ECC because the regular MXC didn't come with a rebound adjuster on it.

I have an '02 _MXR_ SSVF, coil and oil, 100 mm of travel, not an MXC. Geeze, some people! ',;~}~

> The knob ont he bottom is set in a plactic cap, just pry it out. Once you do that you'll see
> there's a foot nut in there just like on the other side except that it has a doo-dad on it to tie
> into the knob so you need a socket that can deal with this.

Yup - found all this out and done the job - posted the update yesterday afternoon.

Cheers anyhow Chris ',;~}~

Shaun aRe
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
roKeMS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > > Nope - just a stereotype - try again.
> > You wouldn't know a stereotype if it had 'Technics' written all over
it
> > ya stupid ****. You're even too daft to realise when you're making a fool of yourself and
> > being stepped all over, heheheheheh........... Shaun aRe - keep coming back for more, see how
> > long it takes for it to sink in how daft you're being.
>
>
>
> It's good that you can think so highly of yourself when you witt is slower than a snail at a
> time trial.
>
> Stept all over? I think not. Get your head out the clouds, if your witt was as funny and retorical
> as you say we'd be buying tickets to your show. But we aint. And won't. Scalpers would make a loss
> on that one, in fact they wouldn't risk it.
>
> Daft is when you make personal comments coz you can't think of anything clever to say like this
> sentence and you.

Heheheheheh - Oh I do love irony ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - 'It sucks being me'.
 

roKeMS

New Member
Mar 11, 2002
174
0
0
Heheheheheh - Oh I do love irony ',;~}~

Shaun aRe - 'It sucks being me'. It should

.....hehehe and sarcasm that flies overhead:rolleyes: :D
 
C

Chris Phillipo

Guest
In article <[email protected]>, shau[email protected] says...
>
> A little late and without reading properly, Chris Phillipo said:
>
> > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > >
> > > Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and
> bushings
> > > to my '02 MXR coil Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from
> now),
> > > and I figure I'll be able to work most things out. However, I notice
> there
> > > is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that needs to be
> undone
> > > for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound adjustment knob;
> > >
> > >
> > > Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the
> lowers
> > > from the uppers on this leg?
> > >
> > > Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme
> > > a shout as soon as you can!
> > >
> > > As ever, thanks muchly in advance!
> > >
> > >
> > > Shaun aRe
>
> >
> > I assume you have a MXC ECC because the regular MXC didn't come with a rebound adjuster on it.
>
> I have an '02 _MXR_ SSVF, coil and oil, 100 mm of travel, not an MXC. Geeze, some people! ',;~}~
>

Same difference actually :)
--
_________________________
Chris Phillipo - Cape Breton, Nova Scotia http://www.ramsays-online.com
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
roKeMS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Heheheheheh - Oh I do love irony ',;~}~
>
> Shaun aRe - 'It sucks being me'. It should
>
> ....hehehe and sarcasm that flies overhead:rolleyes: :D

One day, maybe, just maybe mind, you'll actually manage to make some sense, heheheheh......

Shaun aRe
 
S

Shaun Rimmer

Guest
Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> >
> > A little late and without reading properly, Chris Phillipo said:
> >
> > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> > > >
> > > > Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and
> > bushings
> > > > to my '02 MXR coil Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from
> > now),
> > > > and I figure I'll be able to work most things out. However, I notice
> > there
> > > > is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that needs to
be
> > undone
> > > > for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is
the
> > > > rebound adjustment knob;
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release
the
> > lowers
> > > > from the uppers on this leg?
> > > >
> > > > Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly
and
> > > > quickly, _please_, gimme a shout as soon as you can!
> > > >
> > > > As ever, thanks muchly in advance!
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Shaun aRe
> >
> > >
> > > I assume you have a MXC ECC because the regular MXC didn't come with a rebound adjuster on it.
> >
> > I have an '02 _MXR_ SSVF, coil and oil, 100 mm of travel, not an MXC.
Geeze,
> > some people! ',;~}~
> >
>
> Same difference actually :)

They're a different fork, with different features, and at a different price. They may have enough
similarities as far as the basics go to make no difference to changing seals etc, but they are
certainly not the same fork.

Oh, so 'ner' ',;~P`````````

Shaun aRe - '02 MXR coil - non cartridge, coil sprung, oil damped. External pre-load and rebound
adjust, no ECC.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.