Marzocchi disassembly (Some urgency!):

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, May 1, 2003.

  1. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and bushings to my '02 MXR coil
    Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from now), and I figure I'll be able to work most
    things out. However, I notice there is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that needs
    to be undone for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound
    adjustment knob;

    Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the lowers from the uppers
    on this leg?

    Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme a
    shout as soon as you can!

    As ever, thanks muchly in advance!

    Shaun aRe

    Tags:

  2. Dang, SR, I'd love to help you out, but I know absolutely nothing about the subject! ;-(

    Good Luck, though.....

    STeve

  3. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    I know heaps about these fork but choose not to indugle you.
    Why, becoz whenever I ask something you flame me, and others so go fuk yourself!

    Now who has the better witt?:eek:

    I'm sure you'll retort in some way but like I give a fuk!!
    :rolleyes:

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and bushings to my '02 MXR coil
    > Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from now), and I figure I'll be able to work most
    > things out. However, I notice there is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that
    > needs to be
    undone
    > for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound adjustment knob;
    >

    > Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the
    lowers
    > from the uppers on this leg?
    >
    > Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme a
    > shout as soon as you can!
    >
    > As ever, thanks muchly in advance!
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    According to the .pdf directions from http://www.marzocchimtb.com/tech-tuning/index.html you release
    the knob by pressing a small screwdriver in a hole on the lower inside of the fork leg (just behind
    the dropout) and pull the knob and retainer off the shaft. Then use a 15mm deep socket to remove the
    leg retaining nut.

    Mike

  5. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and bushings to my '02 MXR coil
    > Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from now), and I figure I'll be able to work most
    > things out. However, I notice there is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that
    > needs to be undone for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound
    > adjustment knob;
    >

    > Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the lowers from the uppers on
    > this leg?
    >
    > Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme a
    > shout as soon as you can!
    >
    > As ever, thanks muchly in advance!
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    Hit Marzocchi's site and look for their service manuals. They will walk you through complete
    dissasembly/reassembly.

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Dang, SR, I'd love to help you out, but I know absolutely nothing about
    the
    > subject! ;-(

    > Good Luck, though.....

    I needed it too:

    Took wheel off, removed pads from calliper, took top caps, springs and oil out of forks this
    morning, ready for the job at lunch time....

    Lunch time:

    I got the 15 mm socket, and undid the retaining nut from inside (recessed by a couple of inches) one
    of the lowers - no worries. Couldn't find the other one, because there's this little rebound adjust
    know on the other side.......

    Finally, after much careful thought and deliberation (pissing about), I realised the knob 'pulls
    off', to reveal the shaft it attaches to, and the other nut, again, set inside the tube. This nut
    has the shaft coming out the centre of it, 3 or 4 inches long.

    'There ain't no way I'm getting that thing off with a 15 mm socket', thunk I to meself, and of
    course, I was right.

    So, off to search for an extra long 15mm 'box key' jobby......no such

    Right, I gets meself an old 15mm socket, and a section of 3-4 mm mild steel rod, and I weld the
    buggers to each other, then bend the rod into a right angle part way up. Now, this little beastie
    does the job, and I remove the lowers.

    Using a big screwdriver and a big hammer, I gently prise ('twat') the dust seals, then the oil seals
    (after using needle nose pliers to gently remove the retaining clips), out of their little homes,
    and clean inside the tubes.

    Then, I remove the two big washers/spacers from on top of the bushings/sleeves, and using a metal
    rod through the holes in the bottoms of the sliders, I carefully push out the old bushings/sleeves -
    new ones go in easy. Drop washers back on top.

    Get new oil seals, cover 'em in fork oil, and gently press ('twat') the oil seals in with a big
    hammer and a section of steel tubing the right diameter. They go in no problems, as does the first
    of the dust seals (for these, I used the big hammer and the old dust seals to seat them). Second
    dust seal goes in 'cock-eyed', and I can't get it out to put it back in flat without screwing it up,
    so, I just have to keep encouraging ('twatting') it into place. Finally, it's more or less seated,
    albeit in less than prime condition (sealing parts are OK though).

    I'm now ready to re-assemble upper and lower parts, when I notice a little 'O' ring on the floor. I
    find out it's fallen from the bottom of one of the sliders, around the bolt hole - other is still in
    place. I put this 'O' ring on the nut, and start putting stuff together.

    A bit of fiddling with the nuts (eh!) because they don't want to catch their threads, and I've got
    everything back together.

    Put in oil, put in springs, put on one top cap....whoops! Forgot to put the little tube and big
    washer in there for the pre-load to act on, back off with it, bits in, back on with it, back on with
    the other, re-fit brake pads, drop wheel in, tighten QR, set pre-load, set rebound, push bike
    outside. Check, yup! Everything feels right, good as can be.

    Come back in to clean up, I'm only 15 minutes over due to finish my lunch, so not too much of a rush
    eh? Heh, right, get nearly everything cleaned up, all tools back in place and stuff, when what
    should I find on the floor?

    Gonna have to see if one of the fork legs is leaking from underneath in a bit - have to strip 'em
    down again, maybe tonight to put that little bastard back in place......

    Anyhow, now that I know what tools I need, and what to do/look out for, I can honestly say, the job
    is a piece of piss. First time blind attempt though? An hour and a half isn't enough time to do it
    unhurriedly, and smoothly get it right.

    Anyone comes to do this job and has any questions, just give me a shout! Heheheheh.......

    Shaun aRe

    P.s. - Forks in question are, specifically, '02 Marzocchi MXR coil/oil, 100mm SSVF thingies.

  7. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and
    bushings
    > > to my '02 MXR coil Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from
    now),
    > > and I figure I'll be able to work most things out. However, I notice
    there
    > > is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that needs to be
    > undone
    > > for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound adjustment knob;
    > >

    > > Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the
    > lowers
    > > from the uppers on this leg?
    > >
    > > Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme a
    > > shout as soon as you can!
    > >
    > > As ever, thanks muchly in advance!
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe
    > >

    > According to the .pdf directions from http://www.marzocchimtb.com/tech-tuning/index.html you
    > release the knob by pressing a small screwdriver in a hole on the lower inside of the fork leg
    > (just behind the dropout) and pull the knob and retainer off the shaft. Then use a 15mm deep
    > socket to remove the leg retaining nut.
    >
    > Mike

    Done it now Mike (errmmm, sort of!), thanks - see my 'update' reply to Baker. Oh, and every time I
    check that manual, all I can find is what is in my own manual - nothing about
    assembly/disassembly?!?!?!?!?

    Will look again ta!

    Shaun aRe

  8. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    roKeMS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I know heaps about these fork but choose not to indugle you.

    I've done it now anyhow.

    > Why, becoz whenever I ask something you flame me, and others so go fuk yourself!

    Don't be a dick. I have never flamed you for asking a question. I've flamed you for being an
    ignorant, childish, brainless, imbecilic little consucker of an arsewipe, but never for asking a
    bike realated question. Next.

    > Now who has the better witt?:eek:

    Me.

    > I'm sure you'll retort in some way but like I give a fuk!! :rolleyes:

    sad-sack.

    Shaun aRe - HTH, HAND!

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and
    > bushings
    > > > to my '02 MXR coil Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from
    > now),
    > > > and I figure I'll be able to work most things out. However, I notice
    > there
    > > > is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that needs to be
    > > undone
    > > > for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound adjustment knob;
    > > >

    > > > Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the
    > > lowers
    > > > from the uppers on this leg?
    > > >
    > > > Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme
    > > > a shout as soon as you can!
    > > >
    > > > As ever, thanks muchly in advance!
    > > >

    > > > Shaun aRe
    > > >

    > > According to the .pdf directions from http://www.marzocchimtb.com/tech-tuning/index.html you
    > > release the knob
    by
    > > pressing a small screwdriver in a hole on the lower inside of the fork
    leg
    > > (just behind the dropout) and pull the knob and retainer off the shaft. Then use a 15mm deep
    > > socket to remove the leg retaining nut.
    > >
    > > Mike
    >
    > Done it now Mike (errmmm, sort of!), thanks - see my 'update' reply to Baker. Oh, and every time I
    > check that manual, all I can find is what is
    in
    > my own manual - nothing about assembly/disassembly?!?!?!?!?
    >
    > Will look again ta!
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    Just took a look - the MXR air is there, but not the coil. Similar for all intents and purposes, is
    the '01 Z3 though, so I now got that filed - cheers!

    Shaun aRe

  10. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    Nope - just a stereotype - try again.

  11. "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Dang, SR, I'd love to help you out, but I know absolutely nothing about
    > the
    > > subject! ;-(
    >

    > > Good Luck, though.....
    >
    > I needed it too:

    <snip>

    ROFLMAO! Same thing happened to me on Sunday. Took the fork lowers off, took the bottom out
    elatomers off, cleaned and re-greased everything, re-assembled and fitted back on the bike. T'was
    then I noticed a small ball-bearing on the workbench. WTF? Downloaded the service manual and found
    out its a "detent ball". I have no idea what it does but I had to re-strp the fork to put it back in
    a little dimple just in case..

    Steve E.

  12. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    roKeMS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > > > Now who has the better witt?:eek:
    > > Me.Shaun aRe - HTH, HAND!
    >

    > Nope - just a stereotype - try again.

    You wouldn't know a stereotype if it had 'Technics' written all over it ya stupid shit. You're even
    too daft to realise when you're making a fool of yourself and being stepped all over,
    heheheheheh...........

    Shaun aRe - keep coming back for more, see how long it takes for it to sink in how daft
    you're being.

  13. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    spademan o---[) * <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > Stephen Baker <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Dang, SR, I'd love to help you out, but I know absolutely nothing
    about
    > > the
    > > > subject! ;-(
    > >

    > > > Good Luck, though.....
    > >
    > > I needed it too:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > ROFLMAO! Same thing happened to me on Sunday. Took the fork lowers off,
    took
    > the bottom out elatomers off,

    You have freaking _elastomers_ in your forks? WTF?!?!?

    > cleaned and re-greased everything, re-assembled and fitted back on the bike. T'was then I noticed
    > a small ball-bearing on the workbench. WTF? Downloaded the service manual and
    found
    > out its a "detent ball". I have no idea what it does but I had to re-strp the fork to put it back
    > in a little dimple just in case..

    It's to give a positive 'notching' action to the adjuster.

    Shaun aRe - gonna strip the forks at Kath's dad's factory unit tonight and put that little seal back
    in - only minimal leakage so far......

    Shaun aRe

  14. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    It's good that you can think so highly of yourself when you witt is slower than a snail at a time trial.

    Stept all over? I think not. Get your head out the clouds, if your witt was as funny and retorical as you say we'd be buying tickets to your show.
    But we aint. And won't. Scalpers would make a loss on that one, in fact they wouldn't risk it.

    Daft is when you make personal comments coz you can't think of anything clever to say like this sentence and you.

  15. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    A little late and without reading properly, Chris Phillipo said:

    > > Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and
    bushings
    > > to my '02 MXR coil Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from
    now),
    > > and I figure I'll be able to work most things out. However, I notice
    there
    > > is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that needs to be
    undone
    > > for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound adjustment knob;
    > >

    > > Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the
    lowers
    > > from the uppers on this leg?
    > >
    > > Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme a
    > > shout as soon as you can!
    > >
    > > As ever, thanks muchly in advance!
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe

    > I assume you have a MXC ECC because the regular MXC didn't come with a rebound adjuster on it.

    I have an '02 _MXR_ SSVF, coil and oil, 100 mm of travel, not an MXC. Geeze, some people! ',;~}~

    > The knob ont he bottom is set in a plactic cap, just pry it out. Once you do that you'll see
    > there's a foot nut in there just like on the other side except that it has a doo-dad on it to tie
    > into the knob so you need a socket that can deal with this.

    Yup - found all this out and done the job - posted the update yesterday afternoon.

    Cheers anyhow Chris ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  16. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    roKeMS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > > > Nope - just a stereotype - try again.
    > > You wouldn't know a stereotype if it had 'Technics' written all over
    it
    > > ya stupid shit. You're even too daft to realise when you're making a fool of yourself and
    > > being stepped all over, heheheheheh........... Shaun aRe - keep coming back for more, see how
    > > long it takes for it to sink in how daft you're being.
    >

    > It's good that you can think so highly of yourself when you witt is slower than a snail at a
    > time trial.
    >
    > Stept all over? I think not. Get your head out the clouds, if your witt was as funny and retorical
    > as you say we'd be buying tickets to your show. But we aint. And won't. Scalpers would make a loss
    > on that one, in fact they wouldn't risk it.
    >
    > Daft is when you make personal comments coz you can't think of anything clever to say like this
    > sentence and you.

    Heheheheheh - Oh I do love irony ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - 'It sucks being me'.

  17. roKeMS

    roKeMS New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2002
    Heheheheheh - Oh I do love irony ',;~}~

    Shaun aRe - 'It sucks being me'. It should

    .....hehehe and sarcasm that flies overhead:rolleyes: :D

  18. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > A little late and without reading properly, Chris Phillipo said:

    > > > Hi goodley and knowledgeable folks! I'm fitting the new seals and
    > bushings
    > > > to my '02 MXR coil Bombers today at lunch time (couple of hours from
    > now),
    > > > and I figure I'll be able to work most things out. However, I notice
    > there
    > > > is a bolt inside the bottom of one leg of the lowers that needs to be
    > undone
    > > > for me to be able to remove the lowers, but, on the other leg, is the rebound adjustment knob;
    > > >

    > > > Does that need to come off? How do I get it off? How do I release the
    > lowers
    > > > from the uppers on this leg?
    > > >
    > > > Any tips/notes/suggestions or tricks to make this job go smoothly and quickly, _please_, gimme
    > > > a shout as soon as you can!
    > > >
    > > > As ever, thanks muchly in advance!
    > > >

    > > > Shaun aRe
    >

    > > I assume you have a MXC ECC because the regular MXC didn't come with a rebound adjuster on it.
    >
    > I have an '02 _MXR_ SSVF, coil and oil, 100 mm of travel, not an MXC. Geeze, some people! ',;~}~

    Same difference actually :)
    --
    _________________________

  19. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    roKeMS <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Heheheheheh - Oh I do love irony ',;~}~
    >
    > Shaun aRe - 'It sucks being me'. It should
    >
    > ....hehehe and sarcasm that flies overhead:rolleyes: :D

    One day, maybe, just maybe mind, you'll actually manage to make some sense, heheheheh......

    Shaun aRe

  20. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > A little late and without reading properly, Chris Phillipo said:
    > >
    > > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > > bushings
    > > now),
    > > there
    > > undone

    > > lowers

    > > > I assume you have a MXC ECC because the regular MXC didn't come with a rebound adjuster on it.
    > >
    > > I have an '02 _MXR_ SSVF, coil and oil, 100 mm of travel, not an MXC.
    Geeze,
    > > some people! ',;~}~
    > >

    > Same difference actually :)

    They're a different fork, with different features, and at a different price. They may have enough
    similarities as far as the basics go to make no difference to changing seals etc, but they are
    certainly not the same fork.

    Shaun aRe - '02 MXR coil - non cartridge, coil sprung, oil damped. External pre-load and rebound
    adjust, no ECC.