Marzocchi Drop Off Issues

fly_norco

Sep 28, 2005
I just purchased a new Norco Atomik and it has a Marzocchi Drop Off triple fork. When test riding around the shop before purchasing it, it didn't make the noise, but maybe I just didn't notice. But now after I try and setup the fork with the appropriate air pressure (R-50psi/L-5psi), I get some noises at top-out. Almost like it's sticktion, but the sound is more of a clank sound. While off the bike, if I just pickup the front and drop it, it makes the sound just as bad as if I was riding and bunny-hop it. If I bleed the air back out, then the noise isn't there doing the drop test. I can't tell if it's there during the bunny-hop test since it will bottom without air in it. Has anyone had this trouble and is there something that I'm doing wrong. Maybe after break-in it'll be better, but I can't imagine riding it this way. If anyone has this fork, please let me know what setting you are using to see what I'm doing wrong.

fly_norco said:
I just purchased a new Norco Atomik and it has a Marzocchi Drop Off triple fork. When test riding around the shop before purchasing it, it didn't make the noise, but maybe I just didn't notice. But now after I try and setup the fork with the appropriate air pressure (R-50psi/L-5psi), I get some noises at top-out. Almost like it's sticktion, but the sound is more of a clank sound. While off the bike, if I just pickup the front and drop it, it makes the sound just as bad as if I was riding and bunny-hop it. If I bleed the air back out, then the noise isn't there doing the drop test. I can't tell if it's there during the bunny-hop test since it will bottom without air in it. Has anyone had this trouble and is there something that I'm doing wrong. Maybe after break-in it'll be better, but I can't imagine riding it this way. If anyone has this fork, please let me know what setting you are using to see what I'm doing wrong.
I don't want this to sound wrong, but what is your weight? 50lbs sound like a lot. I am 190lbs and I am suppose to run around 30lbs on the positive air side and 0 to 15 on the preload side. I have about 27 on the positive side and about 7 on the preload side. It is a touch soft but that is the way I like it.

konaman132 said:
I don't want this to sound wrong, but what is your weight? 50lbs sound like a lot. I am 190lbs and I am suppose to run around 30lbs on the positive air side and 0 to 15 on the preload side. I have about 27 on the positive side and about 7 on the preload side. It is a touch soft but that is the way I like it.

That's great information to know. Having a ZR1 on my last bike, this air stuff is new to me. I was basing my 50psi on the manual. I weigh about 190 also, and it says for 185-210 to use 42-56psi on the positive side. So, I figured I'd start in the middle of that range at 50. I'll try and run less positive and bring up the preload and see how that feels. Thanks for the info.

I have found that thier specs run a little stiff. I hope it works out for you.

Good luck!

After playing with a bit, I know you're right about the amount of pressure I was running. I haven't gotten as low as 27psi, but I like your advice about making it softer and run a bit more negative pressure. I wish my guage had more exact increments, but I'm still playing. Monday I set it to 30psi/7psi and went on a long xc ride up some logging roads. It still seemed a little stiff in the front for that. Also, although the fork is still making some noise, with the constant chatter rocks along the road, I got used to it. Also, after I posted this initial tread I went back to the shop and asked them to pump up a Drop Off on a New Stinky to the pressure that I was trying to run and see if it makes the same noise. And it was confirmed. they claim that it's when you have the spring under pressue it bows inside the fork and 'tings' against the inside of the fork legs making the noise.

Since I ride the whole mountain, I'm not excited about the setup in the Drop Off. I know it is what it is, but I would like to have the ability to soften the chatterbumps down the logging roads, and still have a plush landing feel on large drops (without making adjustments between). I think I'm headed to the 888RC, but I'll play with the DropOff more before making that change $$$.
Have you had more luck than I have getting the Drop Off to act more like a high and low speed compression and a rebound adjustment with the air, or am I dreaming?

After I have gotten a few more rides on it, I think I am going to go to about 25 on the positive side and about 5 on the preload side.

On some high speed downhill I was getting a slight basketball effect. I am going to see what this change will make. I don't want to go to soft but I am hoping that this will be just right.

So far I have not really had much bob in the fork pedaling up hill or regular pedaling except if I hit a bump of course.

Yes it probably would be nice to have a 888 but I will have to save up some pennies first. But I think I can get this one close for now.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Yea, I'm still too stiff to feel any pedal-bob, but I'm on my way down to the 30 mark, so that may be an issue soon.

So, does the negative pressure you put in the left leg set the preload or does it help with the rebound? I ask because I'm not sure if you can get rid of the basketball effect without being able to control the rebound.

It's gotten a bit muddy here in Washington, so to spend time on the bike, I've been sticking to the logging roads. And it's hard to setup for downhill without the 'downhill'.

Thanks for your help.
Let me know how the tuning goes.

I am not sure what year your fork is, but mine came on an 2006 bike. And there is an adjustment for the rebound but you have to get a special bar that slides down into the tube and you turn that to adjust your rebound.

I have not tried it yet,but I have a friend that has the tool to do it with. I may end up trying it if the new adustment does not work.

I will let you know.

Guys 1st of all I'm from the philippines and you could check r freeride/downhill site at www.fortythreebikes.4t.com and at www.teamhaooh.com. Sorry 4 what Im about 2 say DROP OFF's r made in taiwan, it was manufactured with the same company that make's SUNTOUR forks. In my country DROPOFF's r always been avoided because mainly your going 2 have so much problems with it. This fork couldn't take too much abuse. So if you got the dough...buy a new fork.

Are you still using your Drop off triple fork? Have you solve the clanking sound because I just bought the same fork and it makes the clanking sound that you mentioned and its very irritating. Is your fork a 2005 model, cause mine is and it has no rebound, only two air preload adjustments.

fly_norco said:

mtb_addict said:
Is your fork a 2005 model, cause mine is and it has no rebound, only two air preload adjustments.
Mine's an '05 with the same issues. I got it on a Stinky from eBay. My shock pump is useless on it, too. If it starts to get any read at all on the dial, the fork is completely stiff. I'm afraid I might blow out the seals if I try to pump the right side above 10lbs. I think I'm gonna have to have it checked b4 I rail on it too much. ALSO, can't find any info on rebound adjustments. Seems they want you to send it into an "authorized" service shop...

eyedfy said:
Mine's an '05 with the same issues. I got it on a Stinky from eBay. My shock pump is useless on it, too. If it starts to get any read at all on the dial, the fork is completely stiff. I'm afraid I might blow out the seals if I try to pump the right side above 10lbs. I think I'm gonna have to have it checked b4 I rail on it too much. ALSO, can't find any info on rebound adjustments. Seems they want you to send it into an "authorized" service shop...

Something must be wrong with your shock pump. 10lbs is no problem for these... but I wouldn't discourage you from taking it in to the shop and have them look at it. I've been running mine between 10 and 25lbs. Forget about rebound... the drop-off has no adjustment for rebound.

fly_norco said:
I have Drop Off Triples on my Norco Shore and according to the manual for my weight 220lbs the positive should be between 52 - 65 psi, but I think this is too much so have dropped it to 45psi. I am getting a clunk on top out, so I am gonna get the 12mm tee-key to slow the rebound down. I will let you know what happens.

Since the date that I originally opened this tread, I decided to button down and deal with the Drop-off noises. Since then I've ridden the bike about three times a week, every week, in various trails and conditions. So, the forks are certainly broken in by now. I've played with various pressures and have settled at R-30psi/L-5psi, and the top-out noise is still there.
What prompted this new entry into this thread is that I just got back from an amazing trip to Vail, CO where I spent the majority of the time riding the downhill diamonds. This fork robbed every bit of confidence from me in every run I took. And frankly, was embarrassing to ride with guys that had nice/quiet smooth sounding bikes.
As I now start to save my pennies for a new 888RC, and knowing that will be a while, I'm very interested in learning about the rebound adjustment mentioned. Please let me know what/where the tools you are using. And forward any results as soon as you have some testing done on your adjustments.

I got a 2005 stinky with these forks and they are making the sound when they top out. One of the guys in my local bike shop has the 2006 stinky and he had the exact same problem with his forks. He replaced the oil to some thicker oil and the problem was fixed. The sound was gone and they didnt top out any more. I dont know what oil he used but it was thicker than the one that comes with the fork. Hope this helps.
*** Tom

I just checked the Marzocchi Site and their oil level (2005) table doesn't show the Drop-Off model at all.
http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/products/oillevel.asp?LN=UK&Sito=mtb&Y=2005
But the 2004 does:
http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/products/oillevel.asp?LN=UK&Sito=mtb&Y=2004

Since it's an air-based fork, I'm not sure that the oil weight would have much effect on this model, but it's worth a shot. Looks like stock oil weight is 7.5w, so anything more than this would make it rebound slower.

I would be interested in contacting this shop you mentioned to chat with them about the solutions they found.

I was also going to call Marzocchi and ask them about the issues with it, since it sounds like a very prominent problem. However, the number that the site gives for tech is out of service.

fly_norco said:
I just checked the Marzocchi Site and their oil level table doesn't show the Drop-Off model at all. Since it's an air-based fork, I'm not sure that the oil weight would have much effect on this model.
http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/products/oillevel.asp?LN=UK&Sito=mtb&Y=2005

I would be interested in contacting this shop you mentioned to chat with them about the solutions they found.

I was also going to call Marzocchi and ask them about the issues with it, since it sounds like a very prominent problem. However, the number that the site gives for tech is out of service.
I looked on the link and i agree that the fork is not on the oil level chart but neither is it on the air pressure chart and it is an air fork. This fork does not appear much in the site so i think they may have just left it out.

The other day when he saw my bike the first thing he said was "change the oil straight away". It obviously improves the forks performance otherwise he wouldnt have said it.

I think you should phone marzocchi and see what they suggest and post the answer.

fly_norco said:
Since the date that I originally opened this tread, I decided to button down and deal with the Drop-off noises. Since then I've ridden the bike about three times a week, every week, in various trails and conditions. So, the forks are certainly broken in by now. I've played with various pressures and have settled at R-30psi/L-5psi, and the top-out noise is still there.
What prompted this new entry into this thread is that I just got back from an amazing trip to Vail, CO where I spent the majority of the time riding the downhill diamonds. This fork robbed every bit of confidence from me in every run I took. And frankly, was embarrassing to ride with guys that had nice/quiet smooth sounding bikes.
As I now start to save my pennies for a new 888RC, and knowing that will be a while, I'm very interested in learning about the rebound adjustment mentioned. Please let me know what/where the tools you are using. And forward any results as soon as you have some testing done on your adjustments.
re. R-30psi/L-5psi. Hope its just a typo. The left leg is the positive air side. Its the one you can put the higher psi into. The right leg is the preload side so you shouldnt really have any more the 15 psi in it. Maybe thats part of your problem. Mine made the same clanging noise on topout. Right leg has the internal rebound ajust. slow it down and that should work. thicker oil to if ya want.

Below is info from 'Kona Casey' from another thread. I haven't tried it, but tomorrow I will be headed to the hardware store for the 12mm x ? wrench.
-------------------
hey i also had the clanking problem with my drop off 4 on a kona coiler if you let the air out of both fork legs and remove the top of the right leg you can compress the fork all of the way remove the spring and use a 12mm ''L'' type allen wrench to adjust the rebound. The adjuster is of course all the way at the bottom of the upper leg but my 12mm allen from the hardware store works fine. any way i am about 190 and ride hard big drops ect. i turned the rebound all the way counter clock-wise untill it stoped closing it. now the more air you put in the shock the more dampining you will need (less turns in the clock-wise direction) 1 full turn clock-wise is where i would start then work your way back to close (counter clock-wise) my set up is 1/4 turn open (clockwise from closed) with 50 in the right and 9 in the left. good luck. P.S. I am thinking about a heavier oil in mine later ill let you know
- Kona Casey
-----------------------