Marzocchi Drop Off Issues

ozmtbpunk said:
re. R-30psi/L-5psi. Hope its just a typo.
Actually, while sitting on the bike, left is the rebound side and should never be set to more than 15psi. And respectfully, the right side is the positive side, set it up to 60 if you want.

Since it appears that the internal rebound valve is set completely open from the factory, I've decided to follow the process of closing it down with the 12mm wrench (I'll post how that goes once I've tried). But for now I've resolved to L-0/R-25, and it's much better. (And I'm still pushing 190lbs.)

Gonna have to disagree with you Norco. Im looking at the manual right now. Hope we're talking about the same fork. Mine is 06 drop off triple. The manual says the left fork is the positive air side(most psi) and the right is the preload(no more than 15psi).

ozmtbpunk said:
Gonna have to disagree with you Norco. Im looking at the manual right now. Hope we're talking about the same fork. Mine is 06 drop off triple. The manual says the left fork is the positive air side(most psi) and the right is the preload(no more than 15psi).
I just checked in the 2006 manual:
http://www.marzocchi.com/admin/down...=usa-mtb&Campo=ManualeInglese&IDOggetto=28114
(Page 11 & 45)

And compared it to the 2005 manual:
http://www.marzocchi.com/admin/down...o=usa-mtb&Campo=ManualeInglese&IDOggetto=8370
(Pages 9 & 37)

Looks like in 2005 They're calling the left leg 'preload' and the right 'positive air'. However, in the 2006 model they've switched it.

My first thought is that someone made a mistake in print, but I think this warrants a call to Marzocchi to find out if they really did change the legs between these two years.

I'll post when I find out.

I'll be seeing my mechanic tomorrow so I'll make sure. He wasnt there when I rang a couple hours ago but I spoke to the owner of the shop and he said they change that sort of thing all the time from year to year. Yo my mechanic put an extra spring in the rebound side(so one on top of each other) so now its comparable to a junior T. Much better, totally different fork. You should do that till you can get a new setup.

fly_norco said:
I just checked in the 2006 manual:
http://www.marzocchi.com/admin/download.asp?IDFolder=126&LN=UK&Sito=usa%2Dmtb&Campo=ManualeInglese&IDOggetto=28114
(Page 11 & 45)

And compared it to the 2005 manual:
http://www.marzocchi.com/admin/download.asp?IDFolder=126&LN=UK&Sito=usa%2Dmtb&Campo=ManualeInglese&IDOggetto=8370
(Pages 9 & 37)

Looks like in 2005 They're calling the left leg 'preload' and the right 'positive air'. However, in the 2006 model they've switched it.

My first thought is that someone made a mistake in print, but I think this warrants a call to Marzocchi to find out if they really did change the legs between these two years.

I'll post when I find out.
Yes they did on the 2006, they switched it. I thought that there was something wrong myself, but it is true. Mine needed to have more oil put in it. Now it is working pretty sweet for a drop off.

Well, I ended up changing the oil, and it didn't help in supressing any of the noise OR making the rebound better. So, I ended up buying a Zoke 66 rc2x. Now, everything is OK :) .

It's been a while since I posted here, so I thought I'd post my findings.

I spent some time playing with my pressure settings and determined that the preload.. even at 5psi was still too high. I got my best results if I empty the pressure to 0, or even compressed the fork a little while bleeding the preload side to get a small amount of vacuum. Then I can run the compression side as high as I want, for the ride that I'm about to do (up to 60psi.) without getting the clanking sound.
It seems to perform as it should... for the cheap OEM fork that it is.
Next up, 888! :cool:

I just purchased a new Norco Atomik and it has a Marzocchi Drop Off triple fork. When test riding around the shop before purchasing it, it didn't make the noise, but maybe I just didn't notice. But now after I try and setup the fork with the appropriate air pressure (R-50psi/L-5psi), I get some noises at top-out. Almost like it's sticktion, but the sound is more of a clank sound. While off the bike, if I just pickup the front and drop it, it makes the sound just as bad as if I was riding and bunny-hop it. If I bleed the air back out, then the noise isn't there doing the drop test. I can't tell if it's there during the bunny-hop test since it will bottom without air in it. Has anyone had this trouble and is there something that I'm doing wrong. Maybe after break-in it'll be better, but I can't imagine riding it this way. If anyone has this fork, please let me know what setting you are using to see what I'm doing wrong.
For others looking to fix the same clunking sound. Mine were doing it as well. I found out it is caused by low oil. So I drained out the oil and replaced it with the correct amount (245ml for left and right side for 05’ model) and the clunking stopped straight away. Also if the rebound is too fast use 10w (instead of 7.5w) when you replace it.