Marzocchi EXR adjustment

hophead

Oct 1, 2003
I recently purchased a 2003 Marzocchi EXR fork for my Giant NRS. It is the coil spring type and only has a preload adjustment. Marzocchi's owner's manual is somewhat cryptic in it's adjustment instructions. It says to adjust the sag to 10-20% for XC and 20-30% for DH use.

My first question is: Why would you want less travel for DH over XC? and secondly, when measuring sag, from what point do you measure?

The fork came with the preload set at it's lowest (or close to) it's lowest setting. It only seems to sag 10% or so now. I weigh 185, but me whight is mostly supported by the rear shock, of course.

I have checked Marzocchi's website and I can't find any info on this fork.

hophead,
First off Marzocchi's website shows thier aftermarket forks. OEM forks are not included on their website. Second in DH usage a fork will go through more travel than during XC use. Therefore to set the sag, and preload higher is to allow for greater impacts wihout blowing through all of its travel on the first hit.
Thirdly the EXR is not intended for DH usage, however the adjustment settings given in owners manuals covers all Marzocchi forks. If you noticed I am sure there is instructions for the ETA feature as well although this is not a featre on your fork.

I'm still confused about the travel. I understand that you need more travel for down hill. What I don't understand is if I set my fork with more sag for DH as indicated by the owner's manual, wouldn't that leave less travel left? The DH sag adjustment is not important to me because this fork is installed on an XC bike. I just thought it seemed backward.

I'm not sure what you mean by OEM? My EXR was not the original fork installed on my bike so how is it OEM?

My owner's manual is for the EXR only. There is no mention of an ETA feature, whatever that is.