Marzocchi Marathons for sale on ebay... last day.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by A D R E N A L I, Feb 4, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Lardy Ninja

    Lardy Ninja Guest

    "a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > closing sale this evening...

    So just think to yourself whether sending spam to this newsgroup will increase or decrease interest
    in your sale item. Think hard.

    LN

  3. Simon Galgut

    Simon Galgut Guest

    "lardy ninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > closing sale this evening...
    >

    > So just think to yourself whether sending spam to this newsgroup will increase or decrease
    > interest in your sale item. Think hard.
    >
    > LN

    Surely this is NOT spam - it's sent to one newsgroup and a relevant one at that. I think it was
    recently agreed that For Sale posts were acceptable in moderation especially as the subject line
    makes it clear.

    Regards Simon

  4. Simon Galgut <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"lardy ninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>"a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>>closing sale this evening...
    >>So just think to yourself whether sending spam to this newsgroup will increase or decrease
    >>interest in your sale item. Think hard.
    >Surely this is NOT spam - it's sent to one newsgroup and a relevant one at that.

    It is the eighth such post on uk.rec.cycling and has also been sent twice to alt.mountain-bike, five
    times to rec.bicycles marketplace, and once to rec.bicycles.misc, not counting any "last day" posts
    that DejaGoogle doesn't have yet. All these posts are substantively identical, and so their BI is
    hence 16, where a cancellable spam would normally needs a BI or 20 or greater.

    It's not cancellable spam, but it's clearly a gross abuse for all that.

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Simon Galgut <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Surely this is NOT spam - it's sent to one newsgroup and a relevant one at that. I think it was
    > recently agreed that For Sale posts were acceptable in moderation especially as the subject line
    > makes it clear.

    Ebay rules say:

    "eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to advertise eBay or an eBay
    listing that is inappropriate or violates the Usenet board policy. If Usenet abuse is reported
    to eBay, we may among other remedies) remove the listing, issue a warning, temporarily suspend
    or indefinitely suspend the offender's eBay account."

    http://pages.ebay.com/help/usenet_policy.html

    I would draw a distinction, as other newsgroups do between a regular contributor who posts the
    occassional e-bay listing and someone who's only or main contribution is to advertise their
    auctions. For such people rec.bicycles.marketplace is the appropriate place to advertise and posting
    here is an arguable breach of e-bay t&c's.

    Just my $0.02

    Tony

    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
    Bernard Shaw.

  6. Tony Raven wrote:

    > I would draw a distinction, as other newsgroups do between a regular contributor who posts the
    > occassional e-bay listing and someone who's only or main contribution is to advertise their
    > auctions. For such people rec.bicycles.marketplace is the appropriate place to advertise and
    > posting here is an arguable breach of e-bay t&c's.

    I don't think anyone's going to object to anyone posting a one-off auction notice, either. After
    all, they may be selling useful things.

  7. If you'd spend time doing a search about me, you need to get out more!

    "David Damerell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:E0p*[email protected]...
    > Simon Galgut <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >"lardy ninja" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >>"a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message
    > >>So just think to yourself whether sending spam to this newsgroup will increase or decrease
    > >>interest in your sale item. Think hard.
    > >Surely this is NOT spam - it's sent to one newsgroup and a relevant one
    at
    > >that.
    >
    > It is the eighth such post on uk.rec.cycling and has also been sent twice to alt.mountain-bike,
    > five times to rec.bicycles marketplace, and once to rec.bicycles.misc, not counting any "last day"
    > posts that DejaGoogle doesn't have yet. All these posts are substantively identical, and so their
    > BI is hence 16, where a cancellable spam would normally needs a BI or 20 or greater.
    >
    > It's not cancellable spam, but it's clearly a gross abuse for all that.
    > --
    > David Damerell <[email protected]> Kill the tomato!

  8. Msa

    Msa Guest

    Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    > > I would draw a distinction, as other newsgroups do between a regular contributor who posts the
    > > occassional e-bay listing and someone who's only or main contribution is to advertise their
    > > auctions. For such people rec.bicycles.marketplace is the appropriate place to advertise and
    > > posting here is an arguable breach of e-bay t&c's.
    >
    > I don't think anyone's going to object to anyone posting a one-off auction notice, either. After
    > all, they may be selling useful things.

    I can understand the concerns raised, but personally I have no issues as long as the item is cycling
    related. Could help somebody out..see my post "Rear wheel wanted"!

    --
    Mark
    ______________________________________

    "Just ask yourself: What would Scooby Doo?"

  9. Ambrose Nankivell <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I don't think anyone's going to object to anyone posting a one-off auction notice, either.

    A _one-off_ auction notice would be a completely different matter.

  10. Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Simon Galgut <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>Surely this is NOT spam - it's sent to one newsgroup and a relevant one at that. I think it was
    >>recently agreed that For Sale posts were acceptable in moderation especially as the subject line
    >>makes it clear.
    >Ebay rules say: "eBay users may not post on Usenet groups (Internet newsgroups) to advertise eBay
    >or an eBay listing that is inappropriate or violates the Usenet board policy. If Usenet abuse is
    >reported to eBay, we may among other remedies) remove the listing, issue a warning, temporarily
    >suspend or indefinitely suspend the offender's eBay account."

    Reporting is is made extremely difficult - I can't find an email address anywhere, and their online
    abuse reporting only works if you're already a member. I'm going to try mail to <[email protected]>,
    but I'd encourage any other urc readers who have E-bay account to pursue it with them. The current
    count is still 8 in urc, 2 in alt.mountain-bike, 5 times in rec.bicycles.marketplace, and once in
    rec.bicycles.misc (a clear violation of the rec.bicycles rules on advertising.)

  11. You are indeed a sad little no life man David. Maybe you could try reading ebays rules a little more
    closely before you make a complete prat of yourself to them.

    > Reporting is is made extremely difficult - I can't find an email address anywhere, and their
    > online abuse reporting only works if you're already a member. I'm going to try mail to
    > <[email protected]>, but I'd encourage any other urc readers who have E-bay account to pursue it
    > with them. The current count is still 8 in urc, 2 in alt.mountain-bike, 5 times in
    > rec.bicycles.marketplace, and once in rec.bicycles.misc (a clear violation of the rec.bicycles
    > rules on advertising.)
    > --
    > David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r wrote:
    > You are indeed a sad little no life man David. Maybe you could try reading ebays rules a little
    > more closely before you make a complete prat of yourself to them.

    But at least he doesn't spam the newsgroup.

    Welcome to the killfile. <plonk>

    --
    Guy
    ===

  13. Depend on what you call SPAM! I'd call his hounding me spam.

    > a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r wrote:
    > > You are indeed a sad little no life man David. Maybe you could try reading ebays rules a little
    > > more closely before you make a complete prat of yourself to them.
    >
    > But at least he doesn't spam the newsgroup.
    >
    > Welcome to the killfile. <plonk>
    >
    > --
    > Guy
    > ===
    > I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    > about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    > wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.
    >
    > http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

  14. Alan Collier

    Alan Collier Guest

    On Wed, 5 Feb 2003 22:39:13 -0000, "a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Depend on what you call SPAM! I'd call his hounding me spam.
    >

    >"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> a d r e n a l i n e h e a d b i k e r wrote:
    >> > You are indeed a sad little no life man David. Maybe you could try reading ebays rules a little
    >> > more closely before you make a complete prat of yourself to them.
    >>
    >> But at least he doesn't spam the newsgroup.
    >>
    >> Welcome to the killfile. <plonk>
    >>
    >> --
    >> Guy
    >> ===
    >> I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    >> about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    >> wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.
    >>
    >> http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#103 http://www.highwaycode.gov.uk/09.shtml#104

    1) You are a spammer.
    2) You don't even know what spamming means
    3) You top-post.

    3 strikes and you're out.

    <plonk>

    Alan

  15. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    Alan Collier wrote:

    > 1) You are a spammer.
    > 2) You don't even know what spamming means
    > 3) You top-post.

    Heh! Doesn't look like he knows what killfile means, either, whch is a surprise since he must have
    seen the inside of a few in his time :)

    --
    Guy
    ===