Marzocchi rebuild

Dre

Guest
Hi all, I'm rebuilding my old clicky Marzocchi's atm.

I need to get some oil for them. The LBS's all say to go to a motorbike
shop and get some of their shock oil as it is cheaper than the Marzocchi
stuff.

Problem is I need 7weight and they only have 5 and 10weight.

Can I mix the 5 and 10weight 50/50 to get 7.5weight??

It just sounds too simple :)

Cheers Dre

"Dre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all, I'm rebuilding my old clicky Marzocchi's atm.
>
> I need to get some oil for them. The LBS's all say to go to a motorbike
> shop and get some of their shock oil as it is cheaper than the Marzocchi
> stuff.
>
> Problem is I need 7weight and they only have 5 and 10weight.
>
> Can I mix the 5 and 10weight 50/50 to get 7.5weight??

Yep. I think so. How much adjustment do you have on your model fork? If
you have both rebound and compression I'd just get the 5 weight.

Greg

> "Dre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hi all, I'm rebuilding my old clicky Marzocchi's atm.
>>
>> I need to get some oil for them. The LBS's all say to go to a motorbike
>> shop and get some of their shock oil as it is cheaper than the Marzocchi
>> stuff.
>>
>> Problem is I need 7weight and they only have 5 and 10weight.
>>
>> Can I mix the 5 and 10weight 50/50 to get 7.5weight??
>>

> Yep. I think so. How much adjustment do you have on your model fork? If
> you have both rebound and compression I'd just get the 5 weight.
>
> Greg

The fork is a 2005 model Drop off, so no adjustments. Looks like a mix is
the go :)

The other problem I'm having is finding out how much oil belongs in each
leg. The Marzocchi page doesn't actually list the fork I have, they only
list 2006 model Drop off III and Drop off IV. So I'm a bit stuck in that
regard. I basically figured I'd put the same as what goes into a set of Z1
Bombers as they are the same internally (I've looked) and go from there. If
there is more oil in there than there was, it'll need less air so I'll have
to play around with it.

Cheers Dre

"Dre" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all, I'm rebuilding my old clicky Marzocchi's atm.
>
> I need to get some oil for them. The LBS's all say to go to a motorbike
> shop and get some of their shock oil as it is cheaper than the Marzocchi
> stuff.
>
> Problem is I need 7weight and they only have 5 and 10weight.
>
> Can I mix the 5 and 10weight 50/50 to get 7.5weight??
>
> It just sounds too simple :)
>
> Cheers Dre

Well I have found out that as long as the brand of oil is the same (duh!)
then its okay to mix different oil viscosities.

5weight + 10weight @ 50/50 ratio = 7.5weight

So I ended getting 1 litre bottles (smallest avail) of 5 and 10 and now have
2 litres of 7.5weight oil for $30aus :)

Cheers Dre