Marzocchi seal removal

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Mar 10, 2006.

  1. Help,

    I have my Marzocchi Z2 superfly's apart, but cant get the oil seal out.
    It is completely stuck. I've tried a lot of force with the screwdriver,
    but it just wont budge. I guess it's becaue the seal hasnt been changed
    since purchase in 99.

    Any tips? I'm worried that if I try too much I might damage the seal
    seat.

    Cheers,
    EF

    Tags:

  2. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Help,
    >
    > I have my Marzocchi Z2 superfly's apart, but cant get the oil seal
    > out. It is completely stuck. I've tried a lot of force with the
    > screwdriver, but it just wont budge. I guess it's becaue the seal
    > hasnt been changed since purchase in 99.
    >
    > Any tips? I'm worried that if I try too much I might damage the seal
    > seat.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > EF

    It takes an incredible amount of force sometimes. Do you have the fork
    lower protector to pry against? The leg of the fork may give out before the
    seal budges without it.

    Mike

  3. Thanks for the help Mike. I couldnt get it to budge. I dont have the
    marzocchie slider protector gadget if that is what you mean. I just
    used a rag to protect the fork.

    After an hour of struggling, I finally decided to have a cup of tea and
    a rethink.

    In the end I managed to get them out really easily. The trick is to
    pour boiling water over the outer stanchion near the seals. This seems
    to expand the stanchion enough to get the seals out easily without to
    much force.

    Cheers,
    EF

  4. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Thanks for the help Mike. I couldnt get it to budge. I dont have the
    > marzocchie slider protector gadget if that is what you mean. I just
    > used a rag to protect the fork.
    >
    > After an hour of struggling, I finally decided to have a cup of tea
    > and a rethink.
    >
    > In the end I managed to get them out really easily. The trick is to
    > pour boiling water over the outer stanchion near the seals. This seems
    > to expand the stanchion enough to get the seals out easily without to
    > much force.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > EF

    Nice. Thanks for the tip.

    It would've saved many bloody knuckles!!

    Mike