Marzocchi Springs

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

George L. Porte

Where do you guys buy your new springs? I need some springs for my fork (2001 Z3 Coil). I weigh
about 200# and have the mediums in there. I rode my buds Z3 light while my fork was away getting
de-creaked and it is much more rigid. He weighs about 240. I check Marzocchi site and I guess I need
part #850660 but no retailers label their springs with the same descriptions (firm in stead of heavy
or s-heavy and no dual rate listings) that Marzocchi does. I just don't want to get the wrong
springs and still have a squishy fork.

Thanks GP

--
http://members.cox.net/gporter1970

"George L. Porter, IV" wrote:
>
> Where do you guys buy your new springs?

My LBS.

Barry

"George L. Porter, IV" <gporter1970(nospam)@cox.net> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> Where do you guys buy your new springs? I need some springs for my fork (2001 Z3 Coil). I weigh
> about 200# and have the mediums in there. I rode my buds Z3 light while my fork was away getting
> de-creaked and it is much more rigid. He weighs about 240. I check Marzocchi site and I guess I
> need part #850660 but no retailers label their springs with the same descriptions (firm in stead
> of heavy or s-heavy and no dual rate listings) that Marzocchi does. I just don't want to get the
> wrong springs and still have a squishy fork.
>
> Thanks GP

http://cambriabike.com/forks&shock/fork_parts_and_accessories-pg1.htm

--
Slacker

Thanks Slacker. That's what I'm looking for. The colors are easy to cross reference between Marz and
Cambria. I will get the X-Heavy Dual Rate (red/blue). Marzocchi recommends this for my weight (200)
but Cambria lists a lighter spring. I want the stiffer one. Marzocchi should be the best to tune the
fork. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again GP

--
http://members.cox.net/gporter1970 "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "George L. Porter, IV" <gporter1970(nospam)@cox.net> wrote in message
news:D[email protected]...
> > Where do you guys buy your new springs? I need some springs for my fork (2001 Z3 Coil). I weigh
> > about 200# and have the mediums in there. I
rode
> > my buds Z3 light while my fork was away getting de-creaked and it is
much
> > more rigid. He weighs about 240. I check Marzocchi site and I guess I
need
> > part #850660 but no retailers label their springs with the same
descriptions
> > (firm in stead of heavy or s-heavy and no dual rate listings) that
Marzocchi
> > does. I just don't want to get the wrong springs and still have a
squishy
> > fork.
> >
> > Thanks GP
>
>
> http://cambriabike.com/forks&shock/fork_parts_and_accessories-pg1.htm
>
> --
> Slacker

> Thanks Slacker. That's what I'm looking for. The colors are easy to cross reference between Marz
> and Cambria. I will get the X-Heavy Dual Rate (red/blue). Marzocchi recommends this for my weight
> (200) but Cambria lists a lighter spring. I want the stiffer one. Marzocchi should be the best to
> tune the fork. I'll give it a shot.
>
> Thanks again GP

No prob....glad to be of assistance. You're right at that weight where you could use either spring
depending on your riding style/preference.

Also, don't rule out playing with the oil height and viscosity to dial the fork in just perfect for
your taste. A thicker oil will increase the dampening affect and raising the oil level slightly can
help if you're bottoming it out.

BTW, don't waste your money on Marzocchi brand fork oil....almost all of us just use a good quality
(hi performance) fork oil form a local MX shop. Bel-Ray, Max and they're are many others, but I
can't remember the brands right now. They run about $7 - $10 a quart, which will last forever.
--
Slacker

For my last fork, I went to my local motorcycle shop and bought some fork oil for it. (Manitou SX).
I got 7.5 wt for that fork and now have about 7/8 of a quart left. When I went they were out of
Spectro and the tech said he uses the BMW stuff for his forks. Now I have BMW fork oil. It is yuppy
oil. I used it in my Manitou 2x's. The shop tech said he rebuilds marzocchi's with it so it should
be good. It doesn't say anything about seal swellers. The only thing is I might want to go up higher
in wt. The Z3 has 7.5 in it now.

Marzocchi just changed the oil because the fork was back to them for a creak. The thing started to
creak in 3 months. I couldn't believe how smooth I was on my buds Z3 light with heavier springs. No
diving after going over large logs and stuff. In addition, going through the whoops in the trails, I
just rode right through them and didn't compress as much through them. I read that the older Bombers
Z3 light (99 I think) came with heavy instead of medium springs. His preload was turned way up too.
I measured about 5mm sag with his bike and mine is like 15mm.

I should have my springs next week.

Thanks again GP

--
http://members.cox.net/gporter1970 "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > Thanks Slacker. That's what I'm looking for. The colors are easy to
cross
> > reference between Marz and Cambria. I will get the X-Heavy Dual Rate (red/blue). Marzocchi
> > recommends this for my weight (200) but Cambria
lists
> > a lighter spring. I want the stiffer one. Marzocchi should be the best
to
> > tune the fork. I'll give it a shot.
> >
> > Thanks again GP
>
>
> No prob....glad to be of assistance. You're right at that weight where
you could use either spring depending on your riding
> style/preference.
>
> Also, don't rule out playing with the oil height and viscosity to dial the
fork in just perfect for your taste.
> A thicker oil will increase the dampening affect and raising the oil level
slightly can help if you're bottoming it out.
>
> BTW, don't waste your money on Marzocchi brand fork oil....almost all of
us just use a good quality (hi performance) fork oil form a
> local MX shop. Bel-Ray, Max and they're are many others, but I can't
remember the brands right now. They run about $7 - $10 a
> quart, which will last forever.
> --
> Slacker

Status
Not open for further replies.