Mashed up death cage

Bob Watkinson

Guest
Out in my mobile people crusher yesterday when whilst sitting at a red traffic light CRUMPPPP as I
was rear end shunted by some idiot in a metro with fluffy dice the lot. Result - spectacularly
mashed up front end of metro but not a mark on my rear end. Reason - Tow bar for our clarkson
annoyer (caravan). Woudn't it be lovely if we could achieve the same affect by attaching such a
device to the rear of our bikes!

bob watkinson wrote:
> Out in my mobile people crusher yesterday when whilst sitting at a red traffic light CRUMPPPP as I
> was rear end shunted by some idiot in a metro with fluffy dice the lot. Result - spectacularly
> mashed up front end of metro but not a mark on my rear end. Reason - Tow bar for our clarkson
> annoyer (caravan).

We had an Escort impale itself on our towbar recently, much to my amuesment. Entirely the Escort
driver's fault, comprehensively scrunched the front of his car and not a scratch on ours. Mind you,
as it's a Volvo 940 it could probably do that without the aid of a towbar :)

--
Guy
===

bob watkinson wrote:
> Out in my mobile people crusher yesterday when whilst sitting at a red traffic light CRUMPPPP as I
> was rear end shunted by some idiot in a metro with fluffy dice the lot. Result - spectacularly
> mashed up front end of metro but not a mark on my rear end. Reason - Tow bar for our clarkson
> annoyer (caravan).

We had an Escort impale itself on our towbar recently, much to my amuesment. Entirely the Escort
driver's fault, comprehensively scrunched the front of his car and not a scratch on ours. Mind you,
as it's a Volvo 940 it could probably do that without the aid of a towbar :)

--
Guy
===

Years ago whilst travelling to work, I witnessed an old "Bond Bug" drive into the back of a Volvo
Estate with towbar.

The Volvo driver got out to check the damage, basically the grease on his tow ball was smeared a
bit. The bond bug literally fell in half; the front virtually separated from the back.

The volvo drove drove off and left the pratt to sort it out.

Niv.

"bob watkinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Out in my mobile people crusher yesterday when whilst sitting at a red traffic light CRUMPPPP as I
> was rear end shunted by some idiot in a metro with fluffy dice the lot. Result - spectacularly
> mashed up front end of metro but not a mark on my rear end. Reason - Tow bar for our clarkson
> annoyer (caravan). Woudn't it be lovely if we could achieve the same affect by attaching such
> device to the rear of our bikes!

Years ago whilst travelling to work, I witnessed an old "Bond Bug" drive into the back of a Volvo
Estate with towbar.

The Volvo driver got out to check the damage, basically the grease on his tow ball was smeared a
bit. The bond bug literally fell in half; the front virtually separated from the back.

The volvo drove drove off and left the pratt to sort it out.

Niv.

"bob watkinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Out in my mobile people crusher yesterday when whilst sitting at a red traffic light CRUMPPPP as I
> was rear end shunted by some idiot in a metro with fluffy dice the lot. Result - spectacularly
> mashed up front end of metro but not a mark on my rear end. Reason - Tow bar for our clarkson
> annoyer (caravan). Woudn't it be lovely if we could achieve the same affect by attaching such
> device to the rear of our bikes!

> bob watkinson wrote:
> > Out in my mobile people crusher yesterday when whilst sitting at a red traffic light CRUMPPPP as
> > I was rear end shunted by some idiot in a metro with fluffy dice the lot. Result - spectacularly
> > mashed up front end of metro but not a mark on my rear end. Reason - Tow bar for our clarkson
> > annoyer (caravan).
>
> We had an Escort impale itself on our towbar recently, much to my
amuesment.
> Entirely the Escort driver's fault, comprehensively scrunched the front of his car and not a
> scratch on ours. Mind you, as it's a Volvo 940 it could probably do that without the aid of a
> towbar :)

Why not go the whole hog and get yourselves a real SUV eh?

W K wrote:

> Why not go the whole hog and get yourselves a real SUV eh?

Great idea - it would do everything the Volvo does but with even worse handling and fuel efficiency!
Wonder why I didn't think of that before ;-)

--
Guy
===

W K wrote:

> Why not go the whole hog and get yourselves a real SUV eh?

Great idea - it would do everything the Volvo does but with even worse handling and fuel efficiency!
Wonder why I didn't think of that before ;-)

--
Guy
===

> W K wrote:
>
> > Why not go the whole hog and get yourselves a real SUV eh?
>
> Great idea - it would do everything the Volvo does but with even worse handling and fuel
> efficiency! Wonder why I didn't think of that before
;-)

Or you could have something that handles better, uses less fuel, and is less of a roadgoing tank
that can barge through other roadusers leaving the occupants safely protected.

W K wrote:

>>> Why not go the whole hog and get yourselves a real SUV eh?

>> Great idea - it would do everything the Volvo does but with even worse handling and fuel
>> efficiency! Wonder why I didn't think of that before ;-)

> Or you could have something that handles better, uses less fuel, and is less of a roadgoing tank
> that can barge through other roadusers leaving the occupants safely protected.

Of course we could spend a few thousand quid and get a car which would return nearly 50% more miles
per gallon, but it hardly seems worth it when we did less than 6,000 miles in both cars combined
last year, and we're about to buy a tandem to make doing the school run by bike even easier so the
old bus won't do more than 5,000 this year.

The Volvo was bought five years ago as a workhorse because I was a self-employed geek at the time
and regularly carried a complete carful (and I mean *full*) of computer equipment.

Last year we sold the second car, a Honda Civic. Before doing so we went through various
possibilities: keep the Honda, keep the Volvo, sell both and buy a newer smaller estate car - and
ultimately we decided to sell the Honda and keep the Volvo

We made that choice because the Volvo owes us nothing and is worth next to nothing trade-in but is
reliable, has a towbar fitted, takes the four of us and whatever we want to chuck in it when we go
away, it will carry the four-bike wheel support bike rack (which exceeds the Honda's maximum
permitted nose weight), you can get three bikes in the boot (and still seat four) at a pinch, it can
tow a tonne of ballast in the trailer without complaint, it's long enough to take the bent, I can
put 5m lengths of timber on the roofbars, and it's one of the few cars which is truly comfortable
for me (6'1") and the wife (5'4") to drive. It's done 150,000 miles and the aircon still works, the
electric gizmos still work, the auto box doesn't slip, the engine (2.3 16-v, 155bhp) uses no oil,
the interior is tidy despite having two young children in it most of the time, and the DAB and CD
are already fitted, and my dad and his wheelchair can get in and out of it as well.

All this, and the fact that it takes more oil to build a car than it will ever use in its lifetime
is why we'll be keeping it going for as long as we can, before replacing it with a slightly smaller
and more fuel efficient Volvo.

Of course, having something substantial wrapped around you bring a certain peace of mind when
duelling with homicidal 4x4s on the school run through country lanes, and the fact that the Volvo is
unusually narrow for such a big car also helps there. And yes, we would rather have been offered a
place at the school which is three minutes' walk away, but obviously it would be ridiculous for us
to be in catchment for a school so close, and that school takes absolutely nobody from out of
catchment.

--
Guy
===

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Or you could have something that handles better, uses less fuel, and is
less
> of a roadgoing tank that can barge through other roadusers leaving the occupants safely protected.

A 'bent with twin (dark side) light sabres fitted to the front?

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>>> Great idea - it would do everything the Volvo does but with even worse handling and fuel
>>> efficiency! Wonder why I didn't think of that before ;-)
>
>> Or you could have something that handles better, uses less fuel, and is less of a roadgoing tank
>> that can barge through other roadusers leaving the occupants safely protected.
>
> Of course we could spend a few thousand quid and get a car which would
[big snip]

Oh, so you just got it on a whim, then.

Mind you, a diesel would be a touch more environmentally friendly: you can run it on rapeseed oil
and make it carbon neutral. That is if you can find someone to process it near enough to you
(www.ukbiodiesel.biz has a list. Only one with a website is near Rotherham, but there are ones
nearer Reading. Not being a car owner, I've not checked out the feasibility of stocking up on it
ahead of time, etc.) Runs cleaner and smoother, too, but smells a bit like a chip shop.

Ambrose

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 13:19:56 -0000, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>We made that choice because the Volvo owes us nothing and is worth next to nothing trade-in but is
>reliable, has a towbar fitted, takes the four of us and whatever we want to chuck in it when we go
>away, it will carry the four-bike wheel support bike rack (which exceeds the Honda's maximum
>permitted nose weight), you can get three bikes in the boot (and still seat four) at a pinch, it
>can tow a tonne of ballast in the trailer without complaint, it's long enough to take the bent, I
>can put 5m lengths of timber on the roofbars, and it's one of the few cars which is truly
>comfortable for me (6'1") and the wife (5'4") to drive. It's done 150,000 miles and the aircon
>still works, the electric gizmos still work, the auto box doesn't slip, the engine (2.3 16-v,
>155bhp) uses no oil, the interior is tidy despite having two young children in it most of the
>time, and the DAB and CD are already fitted, and my dad and his wheelchair can get in and out of
>it as well.

Shall we say £250? I can collect it this weekend. :eek:)

Bob

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

> Mind you, a diesel would be a touch more environmentally friendly: you can run it on rapeseed oil
> and make it carbon neutral.

We actually considered having it converted to LPG at one point, but we would have had to increase
our average weekly mileage by 6% just to get to the nearest LPG station - and now it's hardly worth
it because the cost of converison is more than the value of the car. If we'd replaced it I would
have gone through all the options as part of the selection process, obviously, but would probably
have stuck with fuel we can buy within 1/2 mile of home for obvious reasons.

--
Guy
===

> Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
>
> > Mind you, a diesel would be a touch more environmentally friendly: you can run it on rapeseed
> > oil and make it carbon neutral.
>
> We actually considered having it converted to LPG at one point, but we
would
> have had to increase our average weekly mileage by 6% just to get to the nearest LPG station - and
> now it's hardly worth it because the cost of converison is more than the value of the car. If we'd
> replaced it I would have gone through all the options as part of the selection process, obviously,
> but would probably have stuck with fuel we can buy within 1/2 mile of home for obvious reasons.
>
> --
> Guy
> ===

Take comfort in this thought, Guy (although you obviously don't need to as you've covered virtually
every aspect of the Volvo's justification)... The majority of pollution during a cars lifetime is
created during production of the vehicle, rather than daily running. Therefore, the longer a car can
be kept on the road, the more environmentally friendly it is. Modern 'disposable' cars, although
*better* on the mpg are not necessarily more environmentally friendly, even taking into account
re-cyclability of body parts etc. As a fellow Volvo owner, I take great pride in the fact that mine
has done over 400,000 miles and is probably amongst one of the most environmentally friendly cars on
the road, even though it only does around 20mpg on local runs. I only use it as a glorified shopping
basket, family holiday wagon and occasional 'treat' bus, certainly totting up less than 5000 miles a
year. ...and, as you so eloquently pointed out the car has a whole load of other advantages. My wife
won't let me get rid of ours because of the heated leather seats!!!

Cheers,

Dave

ex-suv (co.car) driver ('twas fun though ;-)

On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 22:49:38 -0000, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Dave ex-suv (co.car) driver ('twas fun though ;-)

My last company car was a V70 2.5 20-v SE Auto, with tinted windows, climate control, computer, CD
player, leather seats - it was a bit nice :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

I think having a go at owners of a particular make is a bit sad we all see the blind git in the
Volvo, but also the same kind of hopeless driver can be found in all makes and models. I agree with
the sustainability point with regard to extended life span of a car provided the emissions the car
produces are within the required limits. I personally think we could see a major improvement in our
urban area's if Black cabs and buses ran on LPG. A tax break to encourage take up for five years and
then compulsory perhaps? The argument for diesel cars is problematic with regard to particulate
emissions however the idea of stopping for fish and chips and filling up the tank at the same time
appealing. I ride a bike when I can, but live in the Peak District and public transport is very
infrequent and due to the distances involved taxi's are not an economic option. So I own a car and
two bikes used to be three bikes but felt a little guilty at my expanding fleet of cycles so sold
one. The fact is most of us who cycle drive as well. I'm sure I am more cautious of cyclists because
I ride myself but then again I am considerate to horse riders as well, and I cant stand horse's or
the great big fat women who insist on sitting on a defenceless creature bouncing past my house
saying inane things when their creature ***** all over the pavement, such as good for the roses you
know, Argggghhhhhh rant over. So lets all get the max from our cars maintain them for as long as we
can and sit back and smile because we know our car has lost all it has to lose it's cheap it works
and that's it.

Mike

Owner of an older car with many happy miles and two bikes also with as many miles as I can
cram onto them

> We had an Escort impale itself on our towbar recently, much to my
amuesment.
> Entirely the Escort driver's fault, comprehensively scrunched the
front of
> his car and not a scratch on ours. Mind you, as it's a Volvo 940 it
could
> probably do that without the aid of a towbar :)

Volvo 740's don't cme off so well when rear-ended by abus, like mine was on 1 January

It's FORCED me to do MORE cycling, but I'm usually a fair-weather roadie.

--
MatSav

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003 18:47:44 -0000, "MatSav" <matthew DOT savage AT felthamscouts DOT org DOT
uk> wrote:

>Volvo 740's don't cme off so well when rear-ended by abus, like mine was on 1 January

Not many things will survive that, to be fair.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.