Mashing sound when pedaling

mark444

Feb 17, 2008
I have recently heard a sound coming from my bike that only happens when I pedal. I have a Trek 1000 with about 3,000 miles on it. I have Look Keo pedals which are about the same age as the bike. The sound only happens when I am pushing the cranks.

Could my bottom bracket need service?

Thanks

Mark

mark444 said:
I have recently heard a sound coming from my bike that only happens when I pedal. I have a Trek 1000 with about 3,000 miles on it. I have Look Keo pedals which are about the same age as the bike. The sound only happens when I am pushing the cranks.

Could my bottom bracket need service?

Thanks

Mark
Mashing sound:confused:? I have no idea what "mashing" sounds like.I doubt that your problem is being caused by a bottom bracket that needs service. If it is a sealed BB Cartridge, it should never need service unless it comes loose. Actually a BB usually makes either a clicking sound or a slight grinding sound, but if your BB only has 3000 miles on it, it is probably fine.

I was convinced my BB was in need of a service when I started getting clicking noises so I got it all out greased it up put it all back in again and the little clicking noise remained :p. I eventually worked out that it was my seat which was loose.

So the moral of the story is that noises are decpetive and dont come from where you think they do. See if you still get the same while standing up, pedaling with one foot etc. This should help you narrow it down. If you are convinced its coming from the BB area try the pedals, they are much more likely.

AngryPenguin said:
I was convinced my BB was in need of a service when I started getting clicking noises so I got it all out greased it up put it all back in again and the little clicking noise remained :p. I eventually worked out that it was my seat which was loose.

So the moral of the story is that noises are decpetive and dont come from where you think they do. See if you still get the same while standing up, pedaling with one foot etc. This should help you narrow it down. If you are convinced its coming from the BB area try the pedals, they are much more likely.
I completely agree with your statement.... I went out riding a few days ago and heard a clicking noise coming from my front wheel. I got of to inspect my bike and could not find the source of the noise. Initially, I thought my computer's sensor had come loose on my fork and was tapping the magnet, but upon a thorough check, there was absolutely no contact. As it turns out, I was using a rim which I had not used in a while, and the clicking noise was coming from my rear derailleur cage...every down stroke would result in my derailleur cage clicking/snapping forward. I still have to figure out that particular problem.

Anyone who mistakes a seat problem with BB problem is a half-wit.

I myself had a noise coming from the bottom bracket and took it to the local bike shop and the salesman said check your seat. (Idiot) What was the actual problem was that bottom bracket housing became cross-threaded thus making it give a load groaning noise.

lostcause89 said:
And those who can't maintain basic standards of politeness? I won't comment.

My last five noises that sounded like they were coming from the bottom bracket:
1. dead pedal.
2. loose cleat bolt.
3. play in front hub (!!!)
4. clicking seat clamp (admittedly, it didn't take too long to smoke that one.)
5. loose cleat bolt.

lostcause89 said:

I myself had a noise coming from the bottom bracket and took it to the local bike shop and the salesman said check your seat. (Idiot) What was the actual problem was that bottom bracket housing became cross-threaded thus making it give a load groaning noise.

'Became cross threaded'? Noises are deceptive and can come from anyplace on the bike. About 90% of the time that the customer says, 'it's the BB", it's not. Often it is the seatpost, saddle, creaking away since the force on the saddle is the same frequency as pushing the pedals/crankarms/BB rotation. Hardly halfwitted.

Peter@vecchios said:
'Became cross threaded'? Noises are deceptive and can come from anyplace on the bike. About 90% of the time that the customer says, 'it's the BB", it's not. Often it is the seatpost, saddle, creaking away since the force on the saddle is the same frequency as pushing the pedals/crankarms/BB rotation. Hardly halfwitted.

Since I always respect your input its with pride as I pat myself on the back and say I fall in the 10% category.My B/B was loose and just needed to be properly torque'd. Probably developed with in two weeks of getting the bike new and I let it go for about a year, admittadly I owned another bike I rode more. I would only notice the clicking sound and slight flexing feel when out of the seat riding on a incline. So it was sort of tolerable but I suspected right and eventually had it tuned one day while I was getting new bar tape put on.

One of my riding buddies had a creaking noise recently. While we were riding, he asked about borrowing tools to remove his crank and BB. He was sure the noise was coming from the BB since it only happened while he was applying some force.

Once we got to our rest stop, we rolled the bike's front wheel to a wall. As he pushed on a pedal with his arm, I listened and felt for the noise. Turns out it was a loose/dry/dirty rear QR. Just cleaning and wiping down the dropouts, then properly tightening the skewer stopped the noise.

Last ticking noise I had on my bike was caused by the front water bottle cage lower mounting bolt. When pushing hard on the pedals, the frame was flexing enough to produce very slight movement between the mounts and the hard base on the Ciussi Elite cage. A dab of grease on the mounting pads and bolts made it quiet again.

:eek: Went to the LBS last week worried about weird sounds from the bottom bracket/chain rings while peddling. After a quick check of all components the patient mechanic asked for my bike shoes - turned out my cleats were just the slightest amount loose. Kind of embarrassing but one has to learn somehow!

Starting@60 said:
:eek: Went to the LBS last week worried about weird sounds from the bottom bracket/chain rings while peddling. After a quick check of all components the patient mechanic asked for my bike shoes - turned out my cleats were just the slightest amount loose. Kind of embarrassing but one has to learn somehow!

A couple of winters ago, when riding when it was really cold, I heard a 'ticking' sound. Drove me nuts as I systematically took my bike apart and put it back together. First warmish day, sound was GONE-huzzahh!!

BUT next cold day, sound was back....

Yep, the zipper on my jacket that I used when it was cold was ticking. Couldn't really hear where it was from since I also had earwarmers on...so.............

These have all been very insightful responces. It seems the sound has gone away after I replaced my saddle. The stock saddle was essentially a hammock for my bottom. I would press down on it with my hand and could see the saddle contort. My new saddle is firm along horizonal axis. The sound must have come from my motion on the bike while pedalling, as was noted by one responder.

I do have Keo pedals and was happy to learn mine were manufactured after the recall and are ok.

Thanks very much for teaching me where sounds can come from...not always where you think they do!

Mark:)