Masi Gran Corsa vs. Masi Speciale Carbon

tannerb

Jan 31, 2006
I am new to cycling and I think I have found a good deal. The bikes I am interested in are the:

Masi Gran Corsa
Retail: $1400
Sale: $840

or

Masi Speciale Carbon
Retail: $2350
Sale: $1400

As I am new to cycling I am have a couple questions:

1. I am looking for an entry level bike that is within my price range but will also perform. The Gran Corsa is within my price range, but I can talk my wife into the Speciale Carbon if the Gran Corsa will not do what I need.

2. I have researched the retail prices and they seem to be about right. Can anyone confirm that.

3. Would you consider this a good deal.

4. I have been told it is better to pay for components not name. I am not familiar with Masi, am I paying for the name, the components, or both?

Here are the components:

Masi Gran Corsa Triple 58cm. It's an aluminum frame bike with a carbon fork, seat stays, and seatpost. It has an Ultegra rear derailleur, 105 front, 105 STI shifters, FSA Gossamer mega exo triple crank (external bearings), 9 speed rear cassette, shimano 500 wheelset.

Masi Speciale Carbon 56cm. This is a steel/carbon frame made by Dedacciai (check out their website). The main frame is steel, and the rear triangle is the Dedacciai MonoBox carbon. Easton carbon fork, carbon seatpost. Dura Ace rear derailleur, Ultegra front, 10 speed, Ultegra shifters, Fizik Arione saddle, Shimano 550 wheels, FSA Carbon compact crank.

5. Lastly, I am 6'1 180 lbs. Is 58cm okay, is 56cm okay?

Any advice would help,

Thanks.

tannerb said:
I am new to cycling and I think I have found a good deal. The bikes I am interested in are the:

Masi Gran Corsa
Retail: $1400
Sale: $840

or

Masi Speciale Carbon
Retail: $2350
Sale: $1400

As I am new to cycling I am have a couple questions:

1. I am looking for an entry level bike that is within my price range but will also perform. The Gran Corsa is within my price range, but I can talk my wife into the Speciale Carbon if the Gran Corsa will not do what I need.

2. I have researched the retail prices and they seem to be about right. Can anyone confirm that.

3. Would you consider this a good deal.

4. I have been told it is better to pay for components not name. I am not familiar with Masi, am I paying for the name, the components, or both?

Here are the components:

Masi Gran Corsa Triple 58cm. It's an aluminum frame bike with a carbon fork, seat stays, and seatpost. It has an Ultegra rear derailleur, 105 front, 105 STI shifters, FSA Gossamer mega exo triple crank (external bearings), 9 speed rear cassette, shimano 500 wheelset.

Masi Speciale Carbon 56cm. This is a steel/carbon frame made by Dedacciai (check out their website). The main frame is steel, and the rear triangle is the Dedacciai MonoBox carbon. Easton carbon fork, carbon seatpost. Dura Ace rear derailleur, Ultegra front, 10 speed, Ultegra shifters, Fizik Arione saddle, Shimano 550 wheels, FSA Carbon compact crank.

5. Lastly, I am 6'1 180 lbs. Is 58cm okay, is 56cm okay?

Any advice would help,

Thanks.

The Gran Corsa triple will be a fine bike for you and that really is a good sale price. 58cm sounds about right for your height but a 56 might be better - if you don't know what you're doing you should really be dealing with a shop that will help you.