Masi Vincere '10 vs Raleigh

Vito12

Mar 2, 2010
Hi All,
I am a newbie to the site and a rookie rider. I started riding last year and wanted to step it up a notch. I currently have a Trek 1300 (if I recall correctly) and its a 12 speed. I got blown away last year and some of the hills we went up and down crushed me.

I just left a local bike shop and met a Masi Vincere; what an awesome looking bike. The shop owner was telling me that the bike is great for its price but that I could get a Raleigh for less with the same bells and whistles. He recommended that I come test ride both and see which one I like more.

My budget is $1,000 and I am looking to get the most bang for my buck. I also want to get a good bike.

I think my riding is going to be recreational and possibly 3-5 times a month at an average distance of 35 miles, anyone want to offer me any advice or opinions of the Masi?

Thanks! I am interested in other bikes as well but need to focus on affordability.

Vito

Even though the MASI is no longer made in Italy (that may be a good thing, BTW, due to cost), I don't know anyone who has ever regretted buying a frame with an Italian name on its badge (okay, maybe I need a larger circle-of-friends) ...

PLUS, what would your 'Nona' say if she say is she saw you riding a RALEIGH if she ever found out you had an option to ride a MASI?!?

alfeng said:
Even though the MASI is no longer made in Italy (that may be a good thing, BTW, due to cost), I don't know anyone who has ever regretted buying a frame with an Italian name on its badge (okay, maybe I need a larger circle-of-friends) ...

PLUS, what would your 'Nona' say if she say is she saw you riding a RALEIGH if she ever found out you had an option to ride a MASI?!?

Thanks for the great response which made me laugh! It's funny you should mention my Nona because, even after I threw a softball to the sales rep about being Italian and having a preference towards Italian products, he still threw the Raleigh comparison at me; kind of like there might have been incentives tied to their sales numbers.

That flat black Veloce is sweet! I'm going to go test ride it when the wether clears up, maybe this weekend!

Vito

It's a little ironic that your final choice is between two marques whose most significant selling point is past glory, and only in name. Not that they don't make fine bikes now, they really do.

Go for the Masi. I like my old Masi better than I did my old Raleighs.

oldbobcat said:
It's a little ironic that your final choice is between two marques whose most significant selling point is past glory, and only in name. Not that they don't make fine bikes now, they really do.

Go for the Masi. I like my old Masi better than I did my old Raleighs.

You're right, I guess it's because that's what this little store carries in inventory. I did write an email to Bicycling Magazine who came out with their top bikes and asked them their opinion as well, I did also throw around a Felt, a Trek and a couple of of others that they rated that were $1200 and under to get their opinion.

One thing that I like is to be different than the rest of the pack, so who knows where I'll end up but that Masi is very cool "looking."

Thanks for taking the time to reply.