Mass start vs handicap road races

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by EmPat, Jul 7, 2007.

1. EmPat

EmPat New Member

My club has a rule which says that all riders are required to do their fair share on the front. Sitting on is not aloud. I have no problem with this as it suits my racing style. However the other day I got to thinking that that is a good rule in the handicap races where everyone in the group you start in needs to work together to pull in those ahead and to stay infront of those chasing.

What about the mass start events though? Everyone in your grade or cat starts at the same time. If someone wants to hammer on the front or fly off in break aways thats cool but how about the sprinter types? Wouldn't it be fair for them to be content with whatever pace is being set by the bunch and then unleash their magic at the end? Like I said not really an issue as it doesn't affect me but for arguments sake what are your thoughts?

Tags:

2. The Double Zero

The Double Zero New Member

Usually in club races it is everyone riding for themselves, no teams, so no protected riders, It is not looked on well if a rider does no work then takes the cash. You have to be seen to be doing your share of the work even if you are a sprinter, but you can be smart so as you are appearing to be working when you are infact taking it a bit easier. Choose to do your pulls in the easier areas, ie downhill or with the wind, or drop the pace a little so riders roll past quicker ect.

3. existence

existence New Member

Kekeke thats my favourite move. I last about 4 seconds then start gesturing for blokes to come through as if they arent bloody working hehe. Its a ripper I reckon.

4. Frigo's Luggage

Frigo's Luggage New Member

Thats funny. In my club they hold an intro to racing seminar and encourage new people to do as little work as possible.

I personally don't like your club's rule because it creates an artificial situation in the race. It eleiminates the strategy of the breakaway types trying to get away from the sprinters. Why should a sprinter work and then be beaten in the end? If you want to beat the sprinters you better drop em.

5. jerrek

jerrek New Member

Small country club that i race for has general guideline in the club rules that all work. Its not really enforced though. Especially in a small club it is a poor rule because the gap between best and worst in a grade is huge.

Generally speaking though all our grades share the work around until a few KM from the end except for A grade. I think this is good for the lower grades as they are getting a good training ride as well as race.

People do sit on in A (including me as when in A grade i am a weaker rider usually) and even win the sprints. No one really complains and nor should they. Cyclists come in different sizes with different strengths and the A grade racing should reflect what will happen in a bigger non club race. We usually have wind and or hills so its some what of a mute point as our best sprinters often having nothing at the end anyway.