Massachusetts cut in half x 2

zipp2001

Mar 30, 2007
Here is a little view of my ride cutting the state of Massachusetts in half North/South, and then again South/North. I stay on one road (Route 12) and follow it thru the entire state. For the most part route 12 is in very good shape, but does have a lot of lights to deal with. I've done this ride for the last 11 years, and this year the plan is to do it again in October.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Weatherby
When I was a kid, I'd leave the North Shore and go towards Lowell and hop onto route 119 and take it towards Vermont. I used to get to Winchester NH and turn back. Kinda sad I never made Vermont. Mom asked me where I went and I said Winchester. She thought I meant Winchester, Mass. Maybe 200 miles. I'd do the 13 or 15 downhill and do the 17 up the rollers. Sometimes these days I feel good on the bike and it recollects those days as a teen.

Reactions: zipp2001
When I was a kid, I'd leave the North Shore and go towards Lowell and hop onto route 119 and take it towards Vermont. I used to get to Winchester NH and turn back. Kinda sad I never made Vermont. Mom asked me where I went and I said Winchester. She thought I meant Winchester, Mass. Maybe 200 miles. I'd do the 13 or 15 downhill and do the 17 up the rollers. Sometimes these days I feel good on the bike and it recollects those days as a teen.

Sometimes on a wintery day I'll pull out my cycling log binders (old school) and look at past rides and races. It's always fun to go do a route that I haven't done in 10-15 years, and compare data. I'll look back on some and think man I was a lot lighter and faster back in the day.

At 63 I'm still light...within a pound or two of when I was 30, but the power loss can not be denied and the speed loss is measurable. What is really noticeable is that the power band is much more narrow and my top RPM's have fallen off.

It doesn't diminish the fun though!

No matter how bad you think you have it, there's riders a lot more unfortunate than us! Enjoy every mile with a grin on your face!

And those Winter days? Retirement and training down South for a few months each year is getting closer!

I did a 30 miler in 94 F and like 70% RH. I put some new fast tires on and did some best times. Its the tires for sure, they are fast. Trying to decide if I should do a 24 hour race next weekend down south. I hate the heat and humidity. Sweat was pouring off of me today. Dripping. My leather Berthoud saddle was drenched. Not too many riders out but some. In the winter I might see one other rider. On a cool, dry day....I see hundreds. I try to train in all conditions.