Massage Oil Recipe?

pastorbillv

Nov 17, 2005
I'm not getting any responses over in the health section, so thought I'd ask those who visit training the same question:

Maybe I didn't search right, but I didn't find anything in the forums for homemade massage oil recipes. Back when I used to race someone gave me a recipe for massaging my legs that contained rubbing alcohol, olive oil, oil of wintergreen and one other ingredient I can't remember. Nor can I remember the relative amounts.

I'd appreciate anyone sharing their homemade recipes (especially if they contain some or all of those ingredients!). I'm just looking to massage my legs after training.

Thanks!
Bill

pastorbillv said:
I'm not getting any responses over in the health section, so thought I'd ask those who visit training the same question:

Maybe I didn't search right, but I didn't find anything in the forums for homemade massage oil recipes. Back when I used to race someone gave me a recipe for massaging my legs that contained rubbing alcohol, olive oil, oil of wintergreen and one other ingredient I can't remember. Nor can I remember the relative amounts.

I'd appreciate anyone sharing their homemade recipes (especially if they contain some or all of those ingredients!). I'm just looking to massage my legs after training.

Thanks!
Bill
If you're after a "after ride" massage just to loosen things up then good ol' Baby Oil will do the trick.

If you're after something to add a bit of warmth to the ol' legs, say during an early season race, then there's dozens of pre-made embrocations out there that'll do the trick.

The only 'ingredient' that I see that's missing from your little witches cauldron brew is capsicum. Use that sparingly... and never get it anywhere near your eyes or nostrils otherwise you'll be in for a world of hurt. It provides 'the heat' and is said to dialate blood vessels near the surface of the skin a little. Whether it does or not I can't say - but any cream with capsicum will provide a feeling of warmth ranging from soothing to 'oh my effing God, I need to go outside in the snow and ride my bike in shorts"

Wintergreen has a nice smell and is probably used for that reason. A dab of Vick's vaporrub on your chest or neck will have the same effect as will olbas oil.

Isopropyl alcohol seems like a strange bedfellow in that mix. Aside from it being a water-based solution (likely clashing with the other oils), it dries the skin horribly.

Sorry I don't have a favorite recipe to share. I just use the stuff my wife buys at The Body Shop in the mall, or Target.

Yet another responder that has nothing to offer in the way of recipes and you may or may not know already, but self-message with a rolling pin (yeah, the kind for rolling dough) is extremely effective. Veteran track racer hooked me on it...

I used to use vegetable oil.
The smell of baby oil used to bug me after a while, plus, some vegy oils are a bit thicker

tonyzackery said:
Yet another responder that has nothing to offer in the way of recipes and you may or may not know already, but self-message with a rolling pin (yeah, the kind for rolling dough) is extremely effective. Veteran track racer hooked me on it...

The rolling pin concept was moved on by "the stick", which is extremely effective for massaging the legs and allows you to really work out any trouble spots and do fairly deep tissue work as well. I use it regularly after long rides while sitting on the sofa watching the TV - it's magic.

http://www.thestick.net/