Massage Sequence and Duration Revisited

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by John Smith, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    I know I asked a similar question before, but I'd like to
    rephrase my question.

    What is the longest massage you've ever given? And how did
    you feel after?

    Do you see anything wrong with performing your usual one
    hour routine then revisiting problems areas for another 30-
    60 minutes?

    Or do you feel that you really should stick to a sequence
    with the extra time spent on problem areas during the
    normal sequence?

    Thanks, and thanks for helping me heal,

    JS

    Tags:

  2. Douglas

    Douglas Guest

    Hey J.S...

    It should not be a "routine". If you as a therapist have
    identified a problem area, suggest a shorter duration
    treatment plan specific to that clients problem.

    If that client receives the benifits, He/She will be happy
    spending less..

    I will not massage for over 90 minutes at a time.

    Cancer and massage: Paliative - O.K. Cureative - be careful.
    Metastatic - Avoid

    Hot Stone: Hydrotherapy = increase circulation (hot),
    Hydrotherapy = decrease circulation (cold).
    Hydrotherapy= water used in it's three states (fluid,
    solid and gas or vapour )

    Energy: Explain Lactic Acid if your cells don't use energy?

    Spirituality: You will heal as you want it to be.
    Transference does happen between client and therapist..

    The threads here are worth watching.

    Good luck to all....

    D :)

    "John Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I know I asked a similar question before, but I'd like to
    > rephrase my question.
    >
    > What is the longest massage you've ever given? And how did
    > you feel after?
    >
    > Do you see anything wrong with performing your usual one
    > hour routine then revisiting problems areas for another
    > 30-60 minutes?
    >
    > Or do you feel that you really should stick to a sequence
    > with the extra time spent on problem areas during the
    > normal sequence?
    >
    > Thanks, and thanks for helping me heal,
    >
    > JS

  3. Chris Zakes

    Chris Zakes Guest

    On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 00:51:59 GMT, an orbital mind-control laser
    caused John Smith <[email protected]> to write:

    >I know I asked a similar question before, but I'd like to
    >rephrase my question.
    >
    >What is the longest massage you've ever given?

    About 2 1/2 hours.

    >And how did you feel after?

    A little tired, but not too bad.

    >Do you see anything wrong with performing your usual one
    >hour routine then revisiting problems areas for another 30-
    >60 minutes?

    That would be one method, another method would be to do the
    usual routine, but spend twice as long on each area.

    >Or do you feel that you really should stick to a sequence
    >with the extra time spent on problem areas during the
    >normal sequence?

    That's what I tend to do. I should note that these extra-
    long massages are done at home on my wife, so I'm not under
    any particular time constraints. If I end up spending 20
    minutes working on a particularly bad knot in her back,
    that's not a problem.

    The longest "professional" massage I ever gave was 2 hours,
    on a fellow who was over six feet tall and built like a
    football lineman. *That* massage was hard work.

    -Chris Zakes LDP Massage Texas

    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand
    Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you.
    But first they must catch you.

    "The Blessing of El-ahrairah" from
    "Watership Down" by Richard Adams

  4. Tiffany

    Tiffany Guest

    Longest was 2 hours. It wasn't tiring to me but it got
    boring. (I got a short attention span. lol)

    T "John Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I know I asked a similar question before, but I'd like to
    > rephrase my question.
    >
    > What is the longest massage you've ever given? And how did
    > you feel after?
    >
    > Do you see anything wrong with performing your usual one
    > hour routine then revisiting problems areas for another
    > 30-60 minutes?
    >
    > Or do you feel that you really should stick to a sequence
    > with the extra time spent on problem areas during the
    > normal sequence?
    >
    > Thanks, and thanks for helping me heal,
    >
    > JS

  5. I feel very comfortable after doing a massage, but part of
    what I train people in is how to use the larger muscles.
    Longest is not as relevant to this group, since I am not
    using massage as my 'bread and butter'. So I could spend
    several hours on a lady that had twisted her ankle and had
    to be able to walk comfortably the next afternoon.

    John Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > I know I asked a similar question before, but I'd like to
    > rephrase my question.
    >
    > What is the longest massage you've ever given? And how did
    > you feel after?
    >
    > Do you see anything wrong with performing your usual one
    > hour routine then revisiting problems areas for another
    > 30-60 minutes?
    >
    > Or do you feel that you really should stick to a sequence
    > with the extra time spent on problem areas during the
    > normal sequence?
    >
    > Thanks, and thanks for helping me heal,
    >
    > JS

  6. John Smith

    John Smith Guest

    One reason I ask, is that my 1.5 hour massages seem to
    involve some in-depth work on certain areas and noticeably
    briefer efforts on other areas.

    I always feel like more time with in-depth work to all
    muscle groups would be more effective.

    Are male MT's more capable of extra long sessions than
    female MT's?

    JS

  7. Real world is that the whole body needs to be done, or the
    feet, neck, etc. will complain. :) But even then, there are
    areas that need it more, and they become apparent. But the
    person needs to be treated as a whole person, not like a
    Toyota (Push here and here, and this happens) But I can do
    that, because I'm not locked to a 56 minute time frame.

    John Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > One reason I ask, is that my 1.5 hour massages seem to
    > involve some in-depth work on certain areas and noticeably
    > briefer efforts on other areas.
    >
    > I always feel like more time with in-depth work to all
    > muscle groups would be more effective.
    >
    > Are male MT's more capable of extra long sessions than
    > female MT's?
    >
    > JS

  8. Tiffany

    Tiffany Guest

    "John Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > One reason I ask, is that my 1.5 hour massages seem to
    > involve some in-depth work on certain areas and noticeably
    > briefer efforts on other areas.
    >
    > I always feel like more time with in-depth work to all
    > muscle groups would be more effective.
    >
    > Are male MT's more capable of extra long sessions than
    > female MT's?

    I don't think that matters. I am surprised that you feel a
    1.5 hour massage is not enough. Are you happy with your
    therapist? Do you feel the pressure is enough and sustained
    through out the massage?

  9. Chris Zakes

    Chris Zakes Guest

    On Sat, 01 May 2004 06:09:31 GMT, an orbital mind-control laser
    caused John Smith <[email protected]> to write:

    >One reason I ask, is that my 1.5 hour massages seem to
    >involve some in-depth work on certain areas and noticeably
    >briefer efforts on other areas.
    >
    >I always feel like more time with in-depth work to all
    >muscle groups would be more effective.
    >
    >Are male MT's more capable of extra long sessions than
    >female MT's?
    >
    >JS

    I haven't done any kind of research on this, but I expect
    individual stamina and technique would be far more
    significant factors than the therapist's gender.

    -Chris Zakes Texas

    I love my country. It's my government I fear.

  10. Tiffany

    Tiffany Guest

    Nice in theory but not everyone can afford a 2 hour massage.
    Some can barely afford the one hour. I go 1-2 times a month
    for a half hour massage on my back/neck and it works just
    fine for me.

    Either way, a therapist needs to be able to adjust what
    he/she does for every particular client. If a client came
    to me and said he wanted his massage the way the OP stated
    (do the whole body then back to the areas that need more
    attention) I would do it without a flinch. I would rather
    work the areas that need it when in that area rather then
    jumping around to much but the massage is about the
    client, not me.

    T "Michael Baugh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Real world is that the whole body needs to be done, or the
    > feet, neck,
    etc.
    > will complain. :) But even then, there are areas that
    > need it more, and they become apparent. But the person
    > needs to be treated as a whole
    person,
    > not like a Toyota (Push here and here, and this happens)
    > But I can do
    that,
    > because I'm not locked to a 56 minute time frame.
    >
    > John Smith <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > One reason I ask, is that my 1.5 hour massages seem to
    > > involve some in-depth work on certain areas and
    > > noticeably briefer efforts on other areas.
    > >
    > > I always feel like more time with in-depth work to all
    > > muscle groups would be more effective.
    > >
    > > Are male MT's more capable of extra long sessions than
    > > female MT's?
    > >
    > > JS

  11. That's why I pointed out at the beginning that my
    circumstance is different. It's not what puts food on the
    table, so I can go longer if I choose. And the ones that are
    on my Friday night schedule don't tell a soul about me,
    because they know that if someone else comes into the
    schedule, they'll get massage less often or for a shorter
    time. Nice when there's good reason to keep a secret. (All
    massage scheduling is done through my wife, too.)

    Tiffany <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Nice in theory but not everyone can afford a 2 hour
    > massage. Some can
    barely