master link on HG chain

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Song, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Song

Song Guest

Hi,

Is it ok [ie. safe / mechanically efficient] to use a sachs master link on an HG chain, assuming
    they're both 8spd and have about the same wear?

TIA, Song

Tags:

2. Cipher

Cipher New Member

Not sure, but my guess is no. Read what they say relating to your topic at Harris Cyclery.

http://harriscyclery.net/site/itemdetails.cfm?ID=722

3. Hi TIA, You cannot use a master link on bicycles that have a deraileur. As the chain is pulled from
    one cog to the next the master link will pop off. That's a bad thing. Instead, get yourself a chain
    breaker. They're pretty cheap and with a little practice it's a snap to fix or shorten a chain. Hope
    I helped - BUBBA

Song <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it ok [ie. safe / mechanically efficient] to use a sachs master link on an HG chain, assuming
    > they're both 8spd and have about the same wear?
    >
    > TIA, Song

4. Song

Song Guest

Well, responding to the latter, I already use a PC-51 on one of my shimano 8spd bikes, and surely
    the great number of threads on this subject testifies that it can be done =). And the Harris cyclery
    item description (see Cipher's link) only seems to imply that you shouldn't use 8spd chains on 9spd
    drivetrains, which is a well-known, if sometimes disputed, point.

My point is, can you cannibalise the powerlink from a sachs and graft it on, like any aftermarket
    masterlink, on an HG chain? ie. are the dimensions, tolerances compatible? I sure know how to use a
    chainbreaker, but as Sheldon said, it's not helpful if you want to take off the chain regularly to
    clean it in a coke bottle.

T(hanks) I(n) A(dvance) Song

5. Wow! You people are touchy. My sincerest apologies. BUBBA

Song <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Well, responding to the latter, I already use a PC-51 on one of my shimano 8spd bikes, and surely
    > the great number of threads on this subject
    testifies
    > that it can be done =). And the Harris cyclery item description (see Cipher's link) only seems to
    > imply that you shouldn't use 8spd chains on 9spd drivetrains, which is a well-known, if sometimes
    > disputed, point.
    >
    > My point is, can you cannibalise the powerlink from a sachs and graft it
    on,
    > like any aftermarket masterlink, on an HG chain? ie. are the dimensions, tolerances compatible? I
    > sure know how to use a chainbreaker, but as
    Sheldon
    > said, it's not helpful if you want to take off the chain regularly to
    clean
    > it in a coke bottle.
    >
    > T(hanks) I(n) A(dvance) Song

6. Michael Dart

Michael Dart Guest

In news:[email protected],
    Song <[email protected]> typed:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is it ok [ie. safe / mechanically efficient] to use a sachs master link on an HG chain, assuming
    >
    > TIA, Song

I've heard of it being done many times with no probs. That said I still run full sachs/sram chains.

Mike

7. Song

Song Guest

Hey, sorry man, didn't mean to get edgy, I sometimes fail to check how my tone comes out in a rushed
    post. Just wanted to clarify exactly which point I was at in considering this issue. No hard
    feelings I hope.

Song

8. Nick Payne

Nick Payne Guest

Yes, I have used the Sachs links with Shimano chains many times with no problem...

Nick

"Song" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >

9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >Hi, Is it ok [ie. safe / mechanically efficient] to use a sachs master link on an HG chain,
    >assuming they're both 8spd and have about the same wear?

That's what I have been doing. Works well.
    --------------
    Alex

10. Paul Kopit

Paul Kopit Guest

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 17:25:08 -0800, "Song" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

>
    >My point is, can you cannibalise the powerlink from a sachs and graft it on, like any aftermarket
    >masterlink, on an HG chain?

It works fine. The Powerlink is for 8sp chain and Powerlink II is for 9sp. I think that the color of
    the 8 is black and the 9 is gold.

11. JeB

JeB Guest

>said, it's not helpful if you want to take off the chain regularly to clean it in a coke bottle.
    >

There was also a thread not too far back on the usefullness of chain removal and cleaning.
    Opinion/test results of the author/tester was that it didn't help.

12. Song

Song Guest

Thanks for all the confirmations. As for the effectiveness of detaching the chain for cleaning, it
    hasn't worked *that* well for me either, but I put it down to my not being thorough enough, either
    with the chain or the other parts of the drivetrain (which of course would quickly re-gunk the
    chain). So at least now I can try it a few more times with less fuss.

regards Song

13. A Muzi

A Muzi Guest

Song wrote:

Maybe. We use the KMC 7.3mm link

--
    Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

14. Walter Mitty

Walter Mitty Guest

15. song-<< Is it ok [ie. safe / mechanically efficient] to use a sachs master link on an HG chain,
    assuming they're both 8spd and have about the same wear?
    >><BR><BR>

Yes...

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

16. [email protected] wrote:

> You cannot use a master link on bicycles that have a deraileur.

That used to be true.

> As the chain is pulled from one cog to the next the master link will pop off.

Nope, that's not why. The reason you couldn't use a master link with a derailer was that old-style
    master links were too wide to fit through a derailer's cage.

The Craig SuperLink changed that. Craig licensed their design to Sram, who call it a "Power Link."
    They work fine on all chains as long as the width and pin thickness match.

Sheldon "Cyclo Rivoli" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
    | Search the Quality Bicycle Products Catalog | and order on line: |
    | http://sheldonbrown.com/quality |
    +-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone
    617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    http://captainbike.com http://sheldonbrown.com

17. Werehatrack

Werehatrack Guest

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:10:35 -0800, "Song" <[email protected]> may
    have said:

>Hi,
    >
    >Is it ok [ie. safe / mechanically efficient] to use a sachs master link on an HG chain, assuming
    >they're both 8spd and have about the same wear?

It's been working just fine for me.

--
    My email address is antispammed; pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
    Typoes are not a bug, they're a feature.
    Words processed in a facility that contains nuts.