Masters classes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Pete Beall, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Pete Beall

    Pete Beall Guest

    The recent discussion on master categories and classes prompted me to un-archive an old dB. My goal
    had been to try to get a better way to categorize older racers to make events more fun for everyone;
    we don't do this for the money. I have quite a bit of data in the archive and I haven't reviewed it
    all, but I do remember that I tried looking at all sorts of different events and finally settled on
    the time trial as the best yardstick. I pulled out well defined NW time trials where a time and
    distance were provided and calculated the average speed as a measure of rider strength. I then tried
    to get a measure of the RA and actual category of the rider, unavailable in most cases. I tried to
    get promoters to make the rider category available for the master riders, no luck; I tried to get
    the category and age from the USCF, no luck.

    I'm expecting that if I could gather enough data, a better way for dividing up master's
    classes might show up. If you want to see what I revived as a first start from 2000, go to
    http://myweb.cableone.net/petebeall/Category/Average%20speed.pdf

    If anyone has any suggestions on where to go with this study, let me know.

    Pete

    --
    http://www.petebeall.net

    Tags:

  2. Wade Summers

    Wade Summers Guest

    Pete Beall wrote in message ...
    > The recent discussion on master categories and classes prompted
    me
    >to un-archive an old dB. My goal had been to try to get a better way to categorize older racers to
    >make events more fun for everyone; we don't do this for the money. I have quite a bit of data in
    >the archive and I haven't reviewed it all, but I do remember that I tried looking at all sorts of
    >different events and finally settled on the time trial as the best yardstick. I pulled out well
    >defined NW time trials where a time and distance were provided and calculated the average speed as
    >a measure of rider strength. I then tried to get a measure of the RA and actual category of the
    >rider, unavailable in most cases. I tried to get promoters to make the rider category available for
    >the master riders, no luck; I tried to get the category and age from the USCF, no luck.
    >
    > I'm expecting that if I could gather enough data, a better way
    for
    >dividing up master's classes might show up. If you want to see what I revived as a first start from
    >2000, go to http://myweb.cableone.net/petebeall/Category/Average%20speed.pdf
    >
    > If anyone has any suggestions on where to go with this study, let me know.
    >
    >Pete
    >

    >--
    >http://www.petebeall.net

    I've always thought that if a master didn't like the race offered in his age category or his age
    category was not offered he can always race in is primary category, 1/2, 3,4 etc.

    Why do we need yet another category?

    Wade