match point

vspa

Jan 11, 2009
i was wandering how funny life can be, like in Woody Allen's Match Point film.
Valverde just won the Tour of Romandie and other stage races this season, the Tour of Spain last year etc. And he is banned for doping in Italy for the Puerto affaire for 2 years but allowed to race everywhere else. What if he didn't had good lawyers and good luck, he would be just another celebrity caught in doping and not a race champion.

Merckx had similar luck after being caught in the Giro d'Italia, he was allowed to race that same year in the Tour, where he gaved an unbelievable performance and started becoming a legend.

in the film Allen demonstrates how much different the story is if the ball/coin landed past the net/fence or behind it !!

I haven't seen match point, but I did see Crimes and Misdemeanors. In that movie a guy kills his lover and remains a respected member of society. So I guess you can sorta apply that to a lot of cyclists in the peloton.

Question though - If Valverde's ban is extended worldwide, does that mean he'll get to race in Italy but not anywhere else once his Italian ban is over? That would pretty much mean he'll continuously have the opportunity to compete - which in my opinion is VERY unfair to the other riders who have served a worldwide 2 year ban.