Australia and New Zealand · Public discussion

Matching fork and brakes

Started by Email address hidden · · Last activity · 2 posts · 508 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Australia and New Zealand
Published
19 April 2005
Last activity
19 April 2005
Original author
Email address hidden
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
508
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi,

    I'm considering a cyclocross/hybrid fork for a bike I'm putting
    together. My intention is to run 700c 25 or 28 wheels/tyres, and
    V-brakes (or linear pull, or whatever you call them). I already have
    newish mtb bars and a brake lever and want to keep those components.

    But how can I work out which brake (short, medium, long reach) to get?
    For example, with this fork:
    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=FK2476

    would this brake http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=BR7412
    be fine?

    In fact, all the linear pull brakes on aebike.com seem to be "long
    pull". Weird.

    -- gecko

  2. [email hidden said:

    "]Hi,

    I'm considering a cyclocross/hybrid fork for a bike I'm putting
    together. My intention is to run 700c 25 or 28 wheels/tyres, and
    V-brakes (or linear pull, or whatever you call them). I already have
    newish mtb bars and a brake lever and want to keep those components.

    But how can I work out which brake (short, medium, long reach) to get?
    For example, with this fork:
    http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=FK2476

    would this brake http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=BR7412
    be fine?

    In fact, all the linear pull brakes on aebike.com seem to be "long
    pull". Weird.

    -- gecko

    Is there any reason why long-pull brakes won't work on your frame? And do you have long-pull levers? If so, then I wouldn't worry too much and just go with what you're thinking...

    Otherwise, there are some short-arm linear pull brakes on the site (http://aebike.com/site/page.cfm?PageID=30&SKU=BR7125) which might fit a bit easier and/or work a little better with non long pull levers (despite the fact that they're labelled as 'long pull'... )

    But as long as you've got a linear-pull lever, i don't see the problem with those brakes on that fork. The only drawback I've heard about with linear-pull brakes on cyclocross bikes is that they can tend to overwhelm the front tyre grip!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.